-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just put a bunch of 200gr xtp's over the lights at 1320fps today out of my g20. It ain't no slouch,I have a 329pd that sees a lot of backcountry travel, but the g20 is just more of a good thing.....and has nite sights.....and heaps of firepower....and is cheap enough to not sweat the scuffs.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both a Glock 23 and a 20SF..... Slow fire I hit just as well with each..... Firing faster the 23 wins hands down..... I kind of doubt the ".40 short and weak" crowd has tried many side by side comparison shooting drills.....

The 23 is enough smaller and lighter that it makes CC easier for me too....

I bought the 20 SF along with a 6" KKM barrel and it sounds like the same 200 grain HP mold RoninPhx did for hunting.....I have yet to cast a bullet with it so far.... Need to get on that and be ready to repel woodchucks from the garden this Spring..... Hopefully a deer or two this Fall

The only time I would choose a 10MM for primary self defense might be living above the Arctic circle where there was a large population of really big mean drunks all wearing 3 layers of Carharts grin

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I concur as I too have the 23 and 20sf......the 20 is as wide as a Mack truck.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
.45 Super is a nice way to go, but since there�s very little factory ammo, the 10mm makes more sense to many.

I�d love to learn how your gunsmith setup your .45 Super.

530-268-6877

Yessir, 26lb Wolff springs and a buffer in an all steel 5" 1911 Springfield then go forth with Power Pistol powder 230 gr Hornady or Nosler FMJ flat point bullets in 45 Super brass and your there, run 'em to an easy 1200 fps in my Springfield TM.

Gunner

I prefer a lesser spring, my 1911 uses 18.5 pound spring. The lock-up between the slide and barrel has been increased in duration to allow the pressure to drop before the slide up locks

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I have both a Glock 23 and a 20SF..... Slow fire I hit just as well with each..... Firing faster the 23 wins hands down..... I kind of doubt the ".40 short and weak" crowd has tried many side by side comparison shooting drills.....

I bought the 20 SF along with a 6" KKM barrel and it sounds like the same 200 grain HP mold RoninPhx did for hunting.....I have yet to cast a bullet with it so far.... Need to get on that and be ready to repel woodchucks from the garden this Spring..... Hopefully a deer or two this Fall

The only time I would choose a 10MM for primary self defense might be living above the Arctic circle where there was a large population of really big mean drunks all wearing 3 layers of Carharts grin

that mold was obtained through a group buy on the cast boolits forum from the guy in slovenia. I mixed a combination of wheelweights, lead free solder, and a little lynotype to get the lead. I bought all of the pins, and it is a four hole mold. So each throw i got one solid, one hollowpoint, one pentad hollowpoint, and kind of a dimpled front on one. They came out real purty, and are fairly hard. Big driving bands, and a big lube groove. They were kind of bumping through the lubrizer so i probably should do a hardness test on them, i think they are pretty hard. I have a kkm regular barrel and a six inch for the 20. I am not really interested in hod rodding them, with the 200grain, 1200 is fast enough for me. I think this is the third mold i have got from slovenia. A 41magnum, and a 45colt saa. They are really top notch molds.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Freudian slip as I have the weak and useless LCP. smile

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Well stated.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Freudian slip as I have the weak and useless LCP. smile

I forgive you.

Montana Marine gave the LCR a dance at the Icebreaker shoot. I think he's in love. Maybe...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No, I don't think a different name would have done it. It's a gun nut's round. Takes a shooter who understands and appreciates the differences to like it.
For me, you can't run fast enough to give me a .45 Super or anything like it for my 1911's. I don't see any of the SAAMI members loading ammo for it either. Must be a few good reasons I suspect.
Shoot a 10 for while along side a 9mm, a .357, a .45 ACP, or a .41 Magnum and it's appeal becomes apparent. More power and range than the first three and alot easier on the shooter than the .41. All in a very tough, high capacity pistol. Alot to like there. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RoninPhx.... I have 3 of those made in Slovenia brass molds now.... A 2 hole cut like RCBS .452 270 grain.... Mine throws then at 280 grains using WW and a dab of tin.... I load them in .45 AR loads for my 625 4" and in my .45 Colt Mountain Gun..... Found the load data for newer S&W guns in Handloader Magazine.... Their load data says the AR rounds are pushing 900 fps and the still easy on the gun .45 Colt loads are around 1000 + FPS.

I know for certain that this bullet slams steel plates down much harder than standard .45 ACP loads do....

I read in the Group Buy load results section of the Cast Bullet Forum that the standard round HP bullets expanded MUCH better that the cool looking pentad (sp?) bullets did.....

I also picked up a 4 hole version of a .452 200 grain round nose HP.... It has been very accurate in both my .625 and 3 different 1911s .... Still looking for a woodchuck to preform ballistic testing on.... It has a wide deep HP..... Guessing there will not be any ground hogs making it back to their holes after a center hit with one of these....

I ordered the 4 hole 200 grain 10MM mold with both deep and shallow pins.... Early group buy results suggest the shallow HP is the way to go for air cooled bullets..... If I ever start reloading for the .40 S&W I would try the deep HP.

I went with the 6" barrel so that I could get plenty of velocity using published load data.... I would like to ask the OP to post the picture here that he did on another forum showing the blown case he got...... Maybe I'm just getting old but I stop with max published loads even if I'm not getting the FPS listed in the book and although this has never happened, I would stop if my loads clocked faster that the book max FPS even if I had not yet used as much powder as the "book load".

IMO the 10 MM is NOT a magnum cartridge.... The more folks accept that and understand that it is still very much enough for clean kills on many different big game animals at reasonable range the more popular the 10MM will become.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
2nd wind,

I am the OP and I never posted a picture of a blown case on another forum because I don't belong to any other forums. You might have me confused with someone else. My hanloads are under the specs of the original Dorneaus and Dixon/ Norma loadings and do not even create a creased or "smiley face" on my brass and my pistol was set up by a true proffesional to run with my loads so on we shall go. So far quite a few rounds downrange with those loads. I will keep running them, they are not scary hot by any stretch. They are only close to the speeds this cartridge was supposed to run at in the beginning. with the relatively slow burning AA#9 I use, I have little concern about chamber pressure etc.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
RoninPhx.... I have 3 of those made in Slovenia brass molds now.... A 2 hole cut like RCBS .452 270 grain.... Mine throws then at 280 grains using WW and a dab of tin.... I load them in .45 AR loads for my 625 4" and in my .45 Colt Mountain Gun..... Found the load data for newer S&W guns in Handloader Magazine.... Their load data says the AR rounds are pushing 900 fps and the still easy on the gun .45 Colt loads are around 1000 + FPS.

I know for certain that this bullet slams steel plates down much harder than standard .45 ACP loads do....

I read in the Group Buy load results section of the Cast Bullet Forum that the standard round HP bullets expanded MUCH better that the cool looking pentad (sp?) bullets did.....

I also picked up a 4 hole version of a .452 200 grain round nose HP.... It has been very accurate in both my .625 and 3 different 1911s .... Still looking for a woodchuck to preform ballistic testing on.... It has a wide deep HP..... Guessing there will not be any ground hogs making it back to their holes after a center hit with one of these....

I ordered the 4 hole 200 grain 10MM mold with both deep and shallow pins.... Early group buy results suggest the shallow HP is the way to go for air cooled bullets..... If I ever start reloading for the .40 S&W I would try the deep HP.

I went with the 6" barrel so that I could get plenty of velocity using published load data.... I would like to ask the OP to post the picture here that he did on another forum showing the blown case he got...... Maybe I'm just getting old but I stop with max published loads even if I'm not getting the FPS listed in the book and although this has never happened, I would stop if my loads clocked faster that the book max FPS even if I had not yet used as much powder as the "book load".

IMO the 10 MM is NOT a magnum cartridge.... The more folks accept that and understand that it is still very much enough for clean kills on many different big game animals at reasonable range the more popular the 10MM will become.

with the slovenian version of the 270saa rcbs mould, mine are coming out at about 283grains. I had saved a prospectus that looked like the NYC phoenbook, and fired one of those pentad shaped hollowpoints into it. With the 8inch 25-5 I chron'd it at around 1050 to just under 1100fps. It blew a really big hole in that prospectus, and hit the tree on the other side. I have a picture of the spent projectile, it flattened to over .90 of an inch. Just flat impressive. I was casting those 10mm and 41 slugs this weekend and got to thinking of that 45colt. I have a four inch 25-5 that i have shot a few rounds with that bullet/combination, and you are getting similar velocities to the 10mm and 41 in some loads, but a 283grain bullet!! I have pearce's article from handloader on the 270saa, and his stuff works for me.
Must add the first 10mm i will load from that mould will be the dimpled version of a hollow point.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
No, I don't think a different name would have done it. It's a gun nut's round. Takes a shooter who understands and appreciates the differences to like it.
For me, you can't run fast enough to give me a .45 Super or anything like it for my 1911's. I don't see any of the SAAMI members loading ammo for it either. Must be a few good reasons I suspect.
Shoot a 10 for while along side a 9mm, a .357, a .45 ACP, or a .41 Magnum and it's appeal becomes apparent. More power and range than the first three and alot easier on the shooter than the .41. All in a very tough, high capacity pistol. Alot to like there. E

I can remember Bob Milek writing that he would not shoot an FA-83 454 until he saw some pressure data. The 454 was not a SAAMI spec cartridge for quite some time before it was SAAMI'ed. We now know that the 454 is spec'ed in the low 60,000 PSI range

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I'd go a step further and say there are probably a lot of law enforcement officials who would not want a 10. Not just novices. If more power was the whole story, then the 454 would be the most popular LE cartridge in the US and not the 40. The 40 is just the cup of tea for those who haven't any faith in 9mm/.357 type cartridges. 10 is more versatile and more of an "expert's" cartridge, IMO anyway.

I a self defense mode I'd take the Semi Auto any day. Now if you're talking something big brown and fuzzy I'll take a .475 Limbaugh or a S&W 460. If you can't shoot a 40 or 10mm you need to have a desk job.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 04/16/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
2nd wind,

I am the OP and I never posted a picture of a blown case on another forum because I don't belong to any other forums. You might have me confused with someone else. My hanloads are under the specs of the original Dorneaus and Dixon/ Norma loadings and do not even create a creased or "smiley face" on my brass and my pistol was set up by a true proffesional to run with my loads so on we shall go. So far quite a few rounds downrange with those loads. I will keep running them, they are not scary hot by any stretch. They are only close to the speeds this cartridge was supposed to run at in the beginning. with the relatively slow burning AA#9 I use, I have little concern about chamber pressure etc.

Um, yeah it was you Mark.... Normally I'd just chalk it up as a "whatever" but not when you post 14.6 grains of Acurate Arms # 9 behind a 180 grain bullet.... factory data is 1.1 grains below that which is a pretty big deal in a relatively small case like the 10MM.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

Reader beware Internet load data... YMMV

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I'd go a step further and say there are probably a lot of law enforcement officials who would not want a 10. Not just novices. If more power was the whole story, then the 454 would be the most popular LE cartridge in the US and not the 40. The 40 is just the cup of tea for those who haven't any faith in 9mm/.357 type cartridges. 10 is more versatile and more of an "expert's" cartridge, IMO anyway.

I a self defense mode I'd take the Semi Auto any day. Now if you're talking something big brown and fuzzy I'll take a .475 Limbaugh or a S&W 460. If you can't shoot a 40 or 10mm you need to have a desk job.

A full house 40 and a full house 10mm are not one and the same. That's why the 40 exists.

Travis

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The 10 was the one that the FBI was too wimpy to shoot, therefore much better than the 40, those lawyer types were too puny to handle a real gun, take your own take on that. The 10 is almost a ballistic twi to the 41 mag. People kill BIG stuff with the 41, 10 can do that.
MC

marty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not all guns are created equal. My kkm barreled g20 with a 22# spring spits cases that are not deformed into a nice tight pile where the stock setup would be asking for trouble.....is it high pressure, yes. Is it acceptable pressure in my setup, yes. Is it fun to have 3200 grains of bullet on tap traveling over 1300.....absolutely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Underwood Ammo has been getting very nice reviews as fair priced and producing the FPS they claim..... Last time I looked they specifically state that their hottest ammo is not for use in 1911 10 MM pistols....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MartyC
The 10 was the one that the FBI was too wimpy to shoot, therefore much better than the 40, those lawyer types were too puny to handle a real gun, take your own take on that. The 10 is almost a ballistic twi to the 41 mag. People kill BIG stuff with the 41, 10 can do that.
MC

yeah, i shot a cow elk in november with a .41magnum. the 10 can reach the lower end of the sprectrum of a 41 magnum, but it ain't no 41magnum.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,273
Posts18,505,012
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.