Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Glue horses, The Duck, Mini-van farming...

This here's a funny thread, I don't care who ya are. grin

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I never saw anyone farm out of a mini van before.

Must be mountain cowboys.
At least there doesn't appear to be any Crocs on the jobsite...grin

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Rest assured, most have wives, they do manual labor
MC

marty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Good job. I hope you got lunch out of the deal, or at least a Coke.

The way I hear it, Shrap provides the Coke.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Now, dealing coke out of a van is something I HAVE heard of.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I got away from that stuff years ago. It fizzes up on my glasses. Just can't get away from a posthole digger, though. cry In all fairness, though, I'm sure Mike supervised his wife loading the van, as he wouldn't want to mess up his typing finger. whistle And Delby, welcome to the fire. If you're in Pennsylavnia some time, I'll let you dig some post holes, just to stay limber. laugh

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by djs

I guess gun writers are just a little bit smarter than post hole diggers.

I suppose so, but I'd drive a PH digger (again smile ) to shoot with them fellers.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Posthole diggers, with which I am well-acquainted, are not technical enough for gun writers who insist on analyzing in detail the slightest minutiae of any activity. :-)

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
get after it and dig a friggen hole ain't no thanken thing.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Gaush

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike's truck probably had a pair of gloves and other instruments of labor so he was willing to be photographed in the mini rather than risk being conscripted into service!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, just got back about three hours ago from shooting doves in Argentina. If lifting a shotgun to your shoulder at least 1000 times a day doesn't qualify as manual labor, what does?

Do have to mention that I've done "real" manual labor for as little as $5 a day, though that did include room and board on a ranch in eastern Montana....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, just got back about three hours ago from shooting doves in Argentina. If lifting a shotgun to your shoulder at least 1000 times a day doesn't qualify as manual labor, what does?

Do have to mention that I've done "real" manual labor for as little as $5 a day, though that did include room and board on a ranch in eastern Montana....

With the pics we have already seen for gunwriters that argues against them doing manual labor, I gotta say it

"Pics or it didn't happen!"

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
John, you were on the bottom of the pay scale? Relatives? The way they figured in W. Montana was since there were less rocks you got paid $1.00 per hour & lunch or $8.00 per day, whichever was less. But you damn well better make a bunch of holes. E. Montana we made less because we had to pull the rocks out of the holes, room & board because it was 50 miles to town. The ranch there figured since we were young & ate a lot that they were actually paying us $1500 per month. (Tax write off as "casual" labor)
MC

marty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I was probably on the bottom of the pay scale, since it was my first job out of high school. But by the next year I was working for $12 a day plus room and board!

In 1975 I got $4.50 an hour for driving truck during wheat harvest on a nearby farm. Got a raise from $3.50 after the first day, because when one of the combines got plugged up, instead of sitting on my ass in the truck (like most of the drivers did) I walked over there and helped the combine driver pull weeds and wheat stalks out of the header.

By the early 80's I'd worked my way up to what was essentially foreman on a custom-cutting crew. Got $7.50 an hour and room and board, not a bad deal back then, especially when you're working at least 15 hours a day without any real opportunity to spend it!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've dug post holes, but always liked how they "build fence" in rural north central PA, near my camp. An uncle taught me that trade when I was big enough to swing a maul without maiming bystanders.

Have a pile of pointed locust posts on the wagon, ball or two of barbed wire, pail of staples, fence "plahrs", claw hammer, pointed diggin' iron and a post maul. A wire stretcher is optional fer them what's really anal about taut barbed wire.

When the frost is gone and the pasture ground is soft, but firm enough so's the Farmall doesn't "get fast", time to fix fence. Poke a hole with the diggin' iron; Waller it around to make a tapered hole in the ground; Insert locust post and drive it tight with the maul. Once the ground dries up some, it ain't going anywhere. Install wire, go drink a cold beer.

Come the next spring, drive around and whack the posts tight again, if they've loosened. Replace the broken/rotted ones.

Works well for dairy cattle. Ain't really worth much for beefers, nags or anything else with little sense for staying where you want 'em to stay.

Although we generally dug a hole for gate posts, when necessary. I usually found something else that needed done, if I suspected we were setting gate posts.

Nice van. Looks kinda "tactical"?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Wow I feel lucky, I was paid $15 a day on a ranch in central MT. Of course that was back in the 80s so the price of labor had no doubt gone up by then. I was able to by my first rifle with the money though.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 04/17/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First job out of high school was running a JD 7520 working summerfallow. $25/day, plus room and board. I thought it was pretty good in 1978. First day, I opened up the lunch cooler, and was amazed at the amount of food. Being young, I ate a good share of it. Was politely informed that while there would be new sandwiches each day, the large, family sized bag of chips was supposed to last at least two or three days....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a Hunter,

Out of curiosity, I logged onto the U.S. inflation calculator, and found out my $5 a day in 1969 was just about equivalent to $15 a day in 1985.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
IIRC, first time I worked for anyone other than my parents, I made $5/hr (late 80's) I usually got fed picking rocks, but I had to pack my own lunch when I was driving trucks / tractor.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 44 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,216
Posts18,504,034
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.