Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Folks,

I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. My house was burglarized earlier this week.

The theives hauled off my entire >600-pound gun safe. All my firearms were in that safe, along with all my hunting optics.

The perps used my hand truck from the garage. Destroyed some wood flooring and drywall in the process of removing the safe (safe must have partially tipped over on them). There were at least two vehicles involved. The police said theives can do what they did to my home in my in less than 20 minutes.

I'm sharing this info with you because I had always thought home burglaries were usually smash & grab events and that they wouldn't spend time trying to haul off a 600-pound gun safe when there was plenty of other, "easier" objects to be taken in my home. Consequently, I didn't bolt the safe to the floor. I'm suffering the consequences of that choice now. Oh, and they took all the "easier" stuff, too.

Here's hoping this post prevents this from happening to any other readers on the 'Fire.

I kept approx. $1000 of loaded ammo locked in a separate Homak gun safe (basically just a stiff sheet metal cabinet with two key locks). They busted into it and cleaned that out, too. Also took all my primers.

If you have already bolted your safe to the floor, good on ya! If you haven't yet, do it now!!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its always a good idea. Sorry to hear of the loss!

We keep our safe inside a vault.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My local LGS had a gun safe in the showroom that some burglars had actually busted the wall out from around the safe. Then broke a picture window and wrapped a chain around it. Pulled it through the window and down the road where it was found. They didn't get into it but it and it's contents were heavily damaged. Browning replaced it and had it delivered for free BTW. But GET A SAFE for anyone who doesn't have one. I had a friend who lost between 25-30 long guns. He was old school and had a gunroom with them all hanging on the wall and in nice gun cabinets. For his $30,000 loss he only received $10k as that was the maximum his insurance would cover without a rider policy.

Last edited by k20350; 05/04/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about that. I have not bolted mine down, but it is in the basement of a ranch style home without a walkout basement. It took a team of four professional movers to get it in empty. If someone can get that S.O.B. out of there now full of guns and ammo they can it. I have good Cor-Vens firearm Insurance.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am okay, no crime in Canada. shocked

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My safe isnt bolted down, but the pressure switch under it is professionally installed.......

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a 600lb gun safe plus contents sounds like a lot of weight, and it is, but not extremely so to experienced professional safe movers, and obviously, not to safe thieves who know what they are doing. Once you get part of it off the ground a little bit, a 600lb safe not bolted down can be handled by even one man who knows what he is doing with the help of a few fairly basic tools. I've watched two men, professional safe movers, load, unload, move around, and set up on location, ATM's (which are basically safes) weighing over 3,000lbs. About the most high tech tools they regularly used were a pallet jack and hand crank winch.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by joken2
I know a 600lb gun safe plus contents sounds like a lot of weight, and it is, but not extremely so to experienced professional safe movers,

This is so true, and an excellent point. As a mover on the side for perhaps a decade in my younger days, I did thousands of jobs. Dozens and dozens involving very heavy household things, and a handful were absolute beasts. Fridges and safes like the one you describe are kid stuff to move for people who know how. It's all technique and using every physical, mechanical and any other advantage at your disposal. This is particularly true if there aren't tons of stairs or tricky angles involved.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss, OP, and I hope you are properly compensated and the thieves caught. The heads-up is appreciated, too.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sorry to hear about your loss but thanks for the heads up.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I know a 600lb gun safe plus contents sounds like a lot of weight, and it is, but not extremely so to experienced professional safe movers,

This is so true, and an excellent point. As a mover on the side for perhaps a decade in my younger days, I did thousands of jobs. Dozens and dozens involving very heavy household things, and a handful were absolute beasts. Fridges and safes like the one you describe are kid stuff to move for people who know how. It's all technique and using every physical, mechanical and any other advantage at your disposal. This is particularly true if there aren't tons of stairs or tricky angles involved.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss, OP, and I hope you are properly compensated and the thieves caught. The heads-up is appreciated, too.

FWIW, I've seen videos on YouTube of devices that make moving up and down stairs a snap.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bad deal, freind.

I hope you had a special firearms policy with enough coverage to replace everything OK. Some things, I know, are irreplaceable due to memories and people associated with particular firearms.

My safe is not bolted down, but I am home most of the time and armed so feel pretty decent about the safe being, uh.... safe?

Let us know how this all turns out for you.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Anjin

FWIW, I've seen videos on YouTube of devices that make moving up and down stairs a snap.

I know this, but not with a run of the mill dolly/hand truck/two wheeler, a 'snap' it ain't, for things over 500. Can it be done? Sure, with enough manpower and/or straps and pulleys, whatever, as well as room to meaneuver. I've seen more than a few instances of movers breaking stairs and floors moving heavy things too...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
movers breaking stairs and floors moving heavy things too...

2 tiles and a threshold getting my safe into the house; thank the Lord we saved tile. My wife didn't want me to anchor the safe through our wood floors, so during her next shift at the hospital I used wedge anchors and snugged it on down. I hope she never wants to rearrange our bedroom; she may be a bit pissed. Better that than to have some POS haul off my safe. They'd have to rip the house apart to get the safe out.

Armen, sorry for your loss

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about your safe. I hope they catch and hang the sumbitches that stole it. mad

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hate to hear that....f'in thieves need to be horsewhipped and then shot.

when my 40 place gun safe was installed....upstairs in deference to hurricanes....it cost me 1200 bucks and took four guys with a crawler that took it up the big staircase, and did a bunch of damage to the steps in the process.

always kind of assumed it was protected by its weight and location so I never bolted it down....plus I wasn't real into putting bolt holes in a hundred year old hardwood floor.

but now I'm skeered.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm probally wrong but I think a safe only protects you from your average crack head. A friend of mines was stolen using a wench truck. Pulled safe thru a picture window tearing up a wall on the way out. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
holes in the floor you'll never see, but the damage to that floor when they are trying to get it out, you'll see that.... ya know what I mean?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
sorry about the loss--that sucks.

used to move cooling & freezing compressors etc when a teen for my Dad with simple implements...bolts aren't going to slow them down too much, particularly if they know they are installed

my neighbor had a safe door from an old bank and then installed it in a room with poured concrete walls when he built his retirement "cabin"...that would take a little more time...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when me and my brother moved my dads safe from Jame's house to my Dad's down the street. we had to call Dad to explain to the cop who stopped us, why we were rolling a safe down the street. we use a refrigerator dolly by the way, the ones you strap on opposite sides and have 4 wheels.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 12 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,102
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.