-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I make it to 80, I plan to just get fat as hell. Might even take up smoking or chewing, see what the fuss is all about.....

Now with even more aplomb

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This time last year I was a six pack of beer and a large pizza away from having a BMI of morbid obesity. I had been obese for over a decade after my divorce. The funny part of that was all my blood work said I was perfectly healthy. I just didn't feel healthy: Short, fat, old, and slow. Then there were the two day long migraines after any two day period where I had carbs for more than one meal a day.

I read Primal Blueprint last May and found myself in agreement with much of what the author presented. Did a test run for a month as suggested and will not go back to the Standard American Diet as sold by the FDA/USDA. I do not want to be a Type 2 diabetic like they are making the rest of America. I watched my grandmother and mother die of complications and that is no way to go. Long slow death over several years.

So far I am 50 pounds down and ramping up the work outs of "lift heavy things, and move alot". I sleep better. My muscles do not ache after a hard work out. Due to the low carbs I am using more fat for an energy source for longer hikes, and thus no longer "bonk". Not nearly low carb enough to be keto-adapted, but might give that a shot next winter.

I no longer get hungry after a work out, or a few hours after eating. I have gone a full day of basic home activities with no food until a light dinner. Makes me wonder why I every eat before sitting at my desk. Why indeed. Maybe more intermitent fasting is in order.

The transistion to fueling with mostly fat, and getting a few carbs from non-refined sources like sweet potatoes and nuts is a pretty nice way to live these days. Means I need to go hunting more often to keep the freezer stocked up.

I do miss beer and pizza though. Paleo pizza just does not cut it. But for me the choice is simple: die or live. I am going with live these days. My mom spent 30 years dieing of Type 2 diabetes. Thats enough for for both of us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol, spider monkey huh?

heck I'm back to gaining weight! what a time for this thread to turn up!

was back up to 199 and change the other day, after getting down to 194 from 208 or so. 195 used to be sheep shape for me, but I can flat guarandamntee you I wasn't in sheep shape when I hit 194 a week or two ago.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been doing "Insanity". 14 workouts left, then I'll restart from the beginning. Just the increase in my energy level has been amazing. Hoping to hit somewhere between 40 and 50 pounds lost the first time around.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm 60, 5'11" and down from 238 a year ago to 216 last month. Got a blood test a few months ago and my blood sugar showed the A1C to be a 10.6, Dr and the diabetic counselor threw a conniption fit. Got a Dr. appointment tomorrow and I'd expect to be down a few more.
I cut out soda, ate salads at lunch on work days (12 hour shifts at a desk job don't help), and generally try to eat healthier. The counselor advised to eat smaller amounts more often, with emphasis on lean meats, vegetables and fresh fruit. Stay away from highly processed foods, eat more whole grains, nuts, and raw vegetables.
I'm currently walking a 3 � mile trail through the hills here behind the house several nights a week as weather and an irritable Jersey bull permits. Would like to get below 200, but it's not as easy to take off as you get older.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep it up you guys. I lost over 40 pounds in 2007-2008, and kept it off since then. It is hard to even describe how much better life is when you have a healthy BMI again as a middle-aged guy.

6-1, 185 feels about a million times better when I get out of bed the morning after an intense, late-night beer-league hockey game than 6-1, 235 felt.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm 5'10" and 175 pounds of twisted steel.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had open heart surgery on March 29th of this year.They replaced 3 arteries and 2 valves.I was 271lbs. when I had the surgery and because of a super low salt diet I'm down to 227lbs. as of this morning.I go to cardio rehab Mon,Wed and Fridays for 2 hours,20mts on a bike at level 6,20mts on a treadmill at 2.9mph with 1.5% incline and lifting weights for 20 mts.All of my joints hips,knees and ankles are thanking me every day.I go for 3 more weeks.My wife and I bought a commercial treadmill Wednesday,just like I use in rehab.
It's rough sometimes with less than 1000 mgs of salt a day.It doesn't help the taste at all with no salt.I'm somewhat getting use to it.I also quit smoking Feb 25th of this year and don't miss it at all.I can't have more more than 1100ccs of water on days I'm not going to rehab.
I limit myself to 1 meal a week to go out and taste things I can't normally have.Last week we had Mexican food.I had 1 enchilada,1/2 order rice,1/2 order beans and 1 taco,I asked them not to salt anything and no cheese at all.This 1/2 a plate my wife and I would eat by ourselves not long ago.
Lots of fish,fresh ground turkey,fresh ground chicken and tons of fresh vegetables it's not all bad.Only sweets I have is lite yogurt.Skeeter

Last edited by crittergetter; 05/09/13.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Just a quick update, with a little over a week left in the program, I've lost 42 pounds so far, Going from a WAY too heavy 285 pounds to a still pretty tubby 243, think I'm going to do it a second time after I finish it.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm 5'9" and 175 down from 180 three weeks ago. Just cutting back on the portions. Now that the weather has broke, I'll be getting out and walking the dogs in the evening. I just can't bring myself to use the damn treadmill.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never thought I'd see the day I went on a diet..but, it's here. 65 5-10" always been around 160 to tops 175lbs. Weighed at the Dr. this wk when I got my 7th. stent put in heart and am 194 lbs. 90% in my stomach. I look sickening walking around with a big gut like this.

Don't drink or smoke anymore nor eat too much, but feel bloated all the time. My cholesterol was also way up. Began starving myself yesterday.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Starving doesn't do it, because you can't keep it up long enough to make a difference, and sooner or later you're going to perform a flaming spinout into a pile of pizza, beer and greasy hamburgers.

Small, sustainable changes will do it...find the small changes you can live with every day, and make them. Cut out refined carbs - white bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, cake, etc., and if you can't drop them completely switch to whole grain versions.

Cut out sugar - especially watch for the hidden sugar in things like ketchup, salad dressings and cereal - even "healthy" cereals often have sugar added in some form or other. Mustard has no added sugar, so I use it instead of ketchup every chance I get.

Get a little more exercise than you have been every day. It doesn't have to be the P90Xturbochargedlightning workout, just a little more walking, bending and stretching will do for a start. More can come later after you've lost a little and are feeling better and have more energy.

Add more fresh, raw foods - fruit and vegetables should be the majority of your meals. Meat is fine, as long as you decrease your normal portions a bit, and as long as you eat more fresh veggies and fruit than protein.

Some people have milk allergies and a lot of trainers think milk is harmful - try almond milk, as long as the kind you choose is not loaded with sugar...I've found varieties in my store with 3 grams, 7 grams and 15 grams of sugar per serving.

Do this and your weight will go down steadily, your cholesterol will go down sharply, and you'll start really tasting your food again without having to put lots of taste enhancers on it like salt, butter, and sauces.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Still working out 6 days a week and watching my diet. Had some trouble with leveling off and not losing weight for about a month. Turns out I wasn't eating enough, back on track now and lost a total of 51 pounds so far.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hit 62 pounds lost this week...not bad for 4 months worth of work....

[Linked Image]

Here's to life, life is good!!!

Last edited by CowboyTim; 07/17/13.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Now I know why you lost all that weight cowboy Tim!!! Just keep curling those 12oz bruskies! Excersizing while cutting lawn!! True Wisconsin culture huh! I am 141 lbs. 5'3" I am 9 lbs from pre married life and that was 26 yrs ago. I still have a gut at 141 today, 25 yrs ago I was 141 and no gut so I lost muscle ( Sniff).

Last edited by ihookem; 07/17/13.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Just updating, down to from 285 in March to 218 currently and feeling pretty darn good about it.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6'2", July 2012 315+, Today, 192.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dh1 and Tim,

Both you guys should be extremely proud of that kind of progress! Funny how we'll work and worry about houses and cars and such, knowing that we can swap in and out as needed. Yet, when it comes to our one and only physical body that we have to live with everyday, so many just ignore it and throw maintenance/upkeep out the window. Good job guys.......

Now with even more aplomb
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, never letting weight get out of hand would have been best. Took 20years to get serious to stop the gains and reverse the process.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
6' 2" 275lbs last year I was at 315. My wife took a travel nursing job in Vegas so I was home alone for 3 months. Got all the processed foods and sugar out of the house. Started following a caveman style diet. Meat, veggies, and fruits only. I kept the bread cause u can't eat a Mater Sammich without it, but I did moderate. I can now run 100 yard sprints. For some reason jogging hurts my knees but the sprints don't. I have been following a website called MarksDailyApple.com and really like the lifestyle and paleo style foods.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.