Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My guess would be that the Lone Wolf Barrel has a chamber problem.

I've been running Buffalo Bores hot loaded cast bullet for years though my Glock 20 & have never had a problem. That's with me using the Original Glock Factory Barrel. I was a Glock Armor for 15 years, but finally let my Certification expire, because basically I just got tired of going to the same old boring ass Glock School.
Not a whole lot of changes in Glocks in the last 23 years I've been shooting them.
I also shoot a lot of Hornady 200 grain XTP HP's through my Glock 20. With my handload, which is a Max load of AA-9, their pushing 1375 FPS on my Chrono.
Again, No Problems Whatsoever.

I do own a Lone Wolf Barrel in .357 Sig caliber that I use in my Glock Model 24 Long Slide in .40 S&W cal. I've never had a problem with my Lone Wolf barrel In that Glock, but I've heard of others that have had problems. JMHO, though.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/16/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Texas99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks, guys. I hope to have it taken apart soon, and see what did happen. Might not be that serious, maybe just a stuck case? Bothered me that it would not feed the DT OR BB ammo. I ordered this pistol from the Glock store, they put in a 4.5# connector, extended slide release, and the Lone Wolf barrel. I thought it was going to be a Glock barrel until it showed up, but the shop that received it for me seemed to think the LW barrel would be better. Of course, lighter bullets at a fairly high velocity will do for hunting, but I wanted to "test" the range of available hunting ammo, and of course ammo is not easy to come by these days. Hopefully we'll get this pistol "running" again soon, and start over with a bit lighter loads.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having tried 215 grs, I'll just say that 200's are an excellent choice.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contact Doubletap, Mike Mcnett was the original owner and loaded for Glocks for years. I'm sure if there is a problem with the ammunition he will take care of you? Take pictures, write down the lot number and any other pertinent information. I always used longshot and 180 XTP's with CCI primers and Winchester Brass.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Esox357
Contact Doubletap, Mike Mcnett was the original owner and loaded for Glocks for years. I'm sure if there is a problem with the ammunition he will take care of you? Take pictures, write down the lot number and any other pertinent information. I always used longshot and 180 XTP's with CCI primers and Winchester Brass.
Plus a bunch. Same with the Glock store, and same with the shop that got it for you. It's better when everyone is in the loop, for you and for them and the next guy.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

T
Texas99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Got it un-jammed. Turned out to be a Double Tap round that was stuck in it, case had blown out just past the rim. The gunsmith who go it open through expert application of a hammer padded with a special old gym sock thinks it did not go completely into battery, yet fired anyway - which would have left the case even more "unsupported" than usual. Every experience is a learning experience for me, and from this I learned not to run extremely "hot' loads in that pistol. Have a new magazine release button ordered, and when it arrives I can try to "blow it up" again!

I will say that I would have expected more damage to a plastic pistol, maybe I was just lucky.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good to hear. Best part is you didn't get hurt.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad you are okay too.... Now how about posting a report on if you managed to avoid a chronic flinch problem shooting this gungrin

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Texas99
Every experience is a learning experience for me, and from this I learned not to run extremely "hot' loads in that pistol.

Its not the ammo or the guns fault, it is the after market barrel that is the problem. With proper recoil spring weight, the G20 can handle anything the 10mm is capable of dishing out. Loose that crap barrel and you shouldn't have anymore problems.

You can see for yourself buy doing a "plunk test". Remove the barrel from the gun, take a round of the same ammo and drop it into the chamber. I'm guessing it wont chamber properly. It should slide fully into the chamber without resistance.

Last edited by justin10mm; 05/16/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've ran a couple different LW barrels and I did have problems with 1 in a glock 20. The gun would constantly jam with that barrel in place. It also left the same smile bulge that the factory glock barrel left. Alot of people think that aftermarket barrels fully support the chamber, they dont. Some are better than others but none are fully supported in the glock platform.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a pick of what I'm talking about. One of these was the factory barrel and one was the lone wolf. Hardly tell the difference. Taking the 10mm that hot with the 230's will eventually lead to a problem. The case will rupture. Sorry for the less than stellar picks. Camera is not the best.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Texas99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I tried all the ammo in the original Glock 4" barrel before trying to cycle it in the pistol. The Double Tap stuff had to be "shaken" or tapped out, mostly. It measured quite a bit shorter than the ammo of the other two brands I had, also. I have never seen any reason to run ammo at maximum levels, just bought the DT ad BB stuff because A., I intended to hunt with it, and B. - it was available. Whether or not it would safely shoot when I get the Glock back together, if it won't feed, I won't be trying to shoot it. Turns out I didn't shoot any Buffalo Bore ammo, only Double Tap, but the BB stuff didn't feed much better than the DT when I cycled some through by hand.

As to the flinch, I'm sure I'll have to "watch" it with the Glock. After the incident, though, I shot about 15 rounds through my 1911 .45ACP, just to make sure I wasn't permanently gun shy!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Here is a pick of what I'm talking about. One of these was the factory barrel and one was the lone wolf. Hardly tell the difference. Taking the 10mm that hot with the 230's will eventually lead to a problem. The case will rupture. Sorry for the less than stellar picks. Camera is not the best.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is why I got out of the Glock 20 business. My brass looked just like that with PMC 200gr FMJ ammo. I figured the brass was compromised and weakened, prone to rupture if reloaded.

The 10mm is proportionaly long for it's diameter, and harder to make that turn into the chamber with a fully supported chamber (at least to the web).

I like my Glocks (a lot), but for a heavy hitter I go to my Ruger SBH 44 Mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree. I gave the 20 a shot a couple times and could not get comfortable with this setup. Brass was not safely reloadable and it seemed to be on the ragged edge of pressure with the DT and BB loads.. I too love my glocks but will stick with other calibers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A fully ramped barrel that supports the full case in a good 1911 is still 10mm and big hangun Nirvannah for me.

As powerful as I need a handgun to be. If I need more, I am reaching for a rifle. Never saw the draw of a 4lb "handgun" that tries to pull your pants down or give one an aching neck and shoulders from all of that weight on a shoulder rig. As always, YMMV. Glad we have so many great options right now!

Last edited by safariman; 05/17/13.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll probably try a Delta 1911 one day. I do like what the 10mm brings to the table.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you do, I reccomend spending the coin to have JAck Huntington at JRH custom guns to install a ramped barrel and time it to keep the barrel and slide together a tad longer in the recoil cycle.

The RIA 10mm that I looked over this week COMES WITH a ramped barrel, pretty shootable trigger, bump in the beavertaill grip safety, checkered flat mainspring housing, Novak adjustable rear sight and a lot of other cool features. Might be worth a look.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
Off the top of my head this makes three blown G20's at the Campfire, plus another three blown Delta's. So far the score is tied.

Did you notice if there was a common problem like certain ammo?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that the combination of an unsupported cartridge case combined with original Dorneaus and Dixon/Norma loads is bad JuJu. Moderate or Dumbed down loads work fine in all of them. Switch out the barrels, and maybe the recoil springs and they all take even pretty stout loads from what I have gathered and experienced so far.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunchamp
I've ran a couple different LW barrels and I did have problems with 1 in a glock 20. The gun would constantly jam with that barrel in place. It also left the same smile bulge that the factory glock barrel left. Alot of people think that aftermarket barrels fully support the chamber, they dont. Some are better than others but none are fully supported in the glock platform.

Spot on. a flat breached semi auto will not fully support the case head. Even a Rem-700 bolt action leave .020" case unsupported. This also includes the "ramped artels" which were originally used to repair a feed ramp that was too far forward.

IMHO the 45 Super is a superior round, with lower peak pressure and larger bullet diameter

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (673, 444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 23 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,076
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.