Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by anie
Ralpie, do u ever run into the guys from shoal creek outfitters , tony or Brandon?

I've never heard of them before. Where is that camp?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Partagas
18-20 miles the short way over Deer Creek Pass. You can get into the area multiple ways, from inside Yellowstone, up a couple different creeks on the North Fork before you get to the east entrance of Yellowstone. These routes I believe are a little longer but not quite as steep or rugged.

The trail in from the Nine Mile trailhead inside the park isn't bad, but it's a long way.

There is a trail that goes from the Elks Fork south over the top and into the head of open creek. There really isn't a pass there though, you are pretty much right on the peak. This way would be pretty high and then you'd have a pretty good trip down Open creek to the Thorofare.

The trail in from Moran at Turpin meadows would be pretty easy but again long. It takes about 8.5 hours horse back, with only one pretty easy pass. This is the way we usually go but we hit our camp before the Yellowstone or the Thorofare.

Like Partagas said there are several ways in. But none of them are short or easy. I see a few backpackers in there every summer. Usually they are resting in the middle of trail to scare my mules. grin

The way in via Elks Fork is a bitch... and good luck. That way isn't maintained very well. At least it hasn't been since '06 I know when I opened it back up a bit it hadn't been done for quite a while. There's a long stretch of riding over large chunks of razor like rocks about as big as pumpkins that'll test anyones footgear and it'll tell you just how hard your pony's feet are...

Deer Creek will test your fear of high places ;-)

Via moran is the easiest... long though. But easy.

I'll be heading into Hawks Rest for a week in Aug. We're using the Moran route.

Took a few young pony's in a while back and now we've added the dreaded "backpack" in our training/desensitizing program as this always seems to get the string pretty riled up... good for a wreck for sure...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I might add the glory days of the Thorfare are over. The fishing isn'twhat it used to be the Elk and Moose are scattered. The bears and wolves have things a mess...
It is the most remote area in the lower 48 and still worth the trip in. You are for sure on trails few have trod. It's a soul altering experience and a reality check I look forward to everytime. It'll put life in persective for those who are open to it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What messed up the fishing?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just not what is used to be.. honestly I'm not sure. Whirling disease.. dunno... Lake trout in the lake took a bunch a fish outta the equasion.

Follow the deep cut on the right and it'll take you in and dump you out near open creek..once you top out and drop over.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cocadori
18-20 miles the short way over Deer Creek Pass. You can get into the area multiple ways, from inside Yellowstone, up a couple different creeks on the North Fork before you get to the east entrance of Yellowstone. These routes I believe are a little longer but not quite as steep or rugged.

The trail in from the Nine Mile trailhead inside the park isn't bad, but it's a long way.

There is a trail that goes from the Elks Fork south over the top and into the head of open creek. There really isn't a pass there though, you are pretty much right on the peak. This way would be pretty high and then you'd have a pretty good trip down Open creek to the Thorofare.

The trail in from Moran at Turpin meadows would be pretty easy but again long. It takes about 8.5 hours horse back, with only one pretty easy pass. This is the way we usually go but we hit our camp before the Yellowstone or the Thorofare.

Like Partagas said there are several ways in. But none of them are short or easy. I see a few backpackers in there every summer. Usually they are resting in the middle of trail to scare my mules. grin

The way in via Elks Fork is a bitch... and good luck. That way isn't maintained very well. At least it hasn't been since '06 I know when I opened it back up a bit it hadn't been done for quite a while. There's a long stretch of riding over large chunks of razor like rocks about as big as pumpkins that'll test anyones footgear and it'll tell you just how hard your pony's feet are...

Took a few young pony's in a while back and now we've added the dreaded "backpack" in our training/desensitizing program as this always seems to get the string pretty riled up... good for a wreck for sure...

Yes I love the bright backpacks in the middle of the trail. I've even started asking them, very nicely, to get off the trail a ways. And I've explained to them why. They usually take half a step off the trail and then stare at me.

Last summer I was coming down the Soda Fork with my dog right in front of me. All the sudden she goes on alert and barks. There is a backpacker right in front of me headed the same direction. He is now taking out his headphones. He was by himself and didn't hear two pack strings, and guests and dog approaching because of the headphones. Looked like good bear bait to me. After some small talk he actually did get off the trail a ways.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's when you wish you had a bombproof pony a ride right up on him ;-)

Was riding 2 young ones on an all day "trail miles" training day last summer.. we were headed up some switchbacks and headed down were 2 back packs with humans attached... coulda been real bad but our pony's were pretty sure footed when they decided to quit the trail and go back down one switch back... whew...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the kind of place I would like to hunt, alot of my hunting is for the country it is in.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's when you wish you had a bombproof pony a ride right up on him ;-)

Was riding 2 young ones on an all day "trail miles" training day last summer.. we were headed up some switchbacks and headed down were 2 back packs with humans attached... coulda been real bad but our pony's were pretty sure footed when they decided to quit the trail and go back down one switch back... whew...

Our horses don't mind too much. It's the bend the backpacks put in my mule string that causes wrecks.

A couple years ago we were coming up the Thorofare somewhere around Hidden creek and there was a dome tent set up right in the middle of the trail. That did cause my horse to try a 180 and the mules were ready too. We ran into them a little ways down the trail. These guys were on horses. They had no clue that camping in the middle of the trail might be frowned upon. They were nice guys just out having fun like the rest of us.

Last edited by Ralphie; 05/06/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ahhh dreaded alien dome tents... yeah I hear ya!

raybass,

It is indeed worth the experience. However, there used to be a fair share of hunters in many of the areas. Albeit it's been 7 years since I've been in there during the season.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...there was a dome tent set up right in the middle of the trail. That did cause my horse to try a 180 and the mules were ready too. We ran into them a little ways down the trail. These guys were on horses. They had no clue that camping in the middle of the trail might be frowned upon. They were nice guys just out having fun like the rest of us.

Had exactly that same experience in the Gila twenty years or so ago. We were riding mules, but the campers (from Texas, naturally) had horses. Fortunately, our mules had been rode and packed enough in the Gila that they weren't spooked by anything (except llamas).

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be worth the sore back side, hemorrhoids, crotch rot, hang nails and male pattern baldness and a foot fungus! Advil is cheap!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thorofare I'd dare to say is not for puzzies

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any outfitters out the tired of wall tents and the weights and problems
Associated with them
Give me a pm or call me at
307-460-8679
Thanks. Wyo

mercy triumphs over judgement
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

You're right, Deer Creek will test your fear of heights. I hunted with Bill Perry in 2011 and the scenery is unbelievable. Camp was at the southeast corner of Yellowstone. Actually hunted within 200 yds. of the park boundary marker one morning. Going over the pass, I had an understanding with the mule I was riding. Told her that I hoped she didn't want to die that day as I had no plans to. As another post said, you will see country that very few people have ever seen.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ralphie, shoal creek has a camp in pilgrim creek drainage and another up buy
Bobcat mtn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did an elk hunt out of Hawks Rest in 2009. The country was awesome, but I was surprised how few elk we saw. Out of ten guided hunters, one guy took a smallish 5x5 and that was it.

Plenty of wolf and grizzly sign though. Got some great photos.

[Linked Image]

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Went on my only guided hunt there in the early 80's with Randy Heacker. Awesome country.
I missed the bull of a lifetime at first light on the first morning of the hunt...a memory that has haunted me ever since.
I'd do it again if I could afford to!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 21, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.