Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From the Mcmillan website: "Current delivery time on stocks is 5 months out".

Kinda interesting they would put that up, considering the number of folks here who have been waiting WAY over 5 months.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maybe they mean "everybody with a stock currently on order will get it 5 months from now"! wink

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BBsteel
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by BBsteel

A3 in rhino camo for Tikka stainless 223 varmint ordered Dec 31 is ready to ship.

When I called McMillan recently they said they only inlet two stocks for Tikkas. The Sako hunter and Sako Classic????

Should be interesting to see what I get then. I've seen tikka varmints dropped in A5s before.

Order

Products
1 x C] McMillan Tactical, BR, Competition & High-Power Stocks
- 7b. International Shipping:: No
- 8. Pillar Installation:: Factory-Installed Machined Pilla
- 7a. Deposit:: $25 deposit
- 6a. Cheekpieces:: Select Cheekpiece
- 6b. Recoil Pads & Butt Plates:: 1-inch Pachmayr Decelerator Pad
- 5c. Sling Studs:: Stainless Steel Studs
- 3a. Rifle Caliber:: .223
- 4b. Length of Pull:: 13 3/4
- 5a. Finish:: Molded-In Rhino Camo (New)
- 2c. Bottom Metal Inlet:: CDI Tikka Short Action
- 2d. Barrel Channel Inlet:: Tikka Varmint Contour
- 2b. Select Action Orientation:: Right-handed
- 2a. Action Inlet:: Tikka T3
- 1c. Construction/Fill Weight:: Fiberglass/Standard Fill
- 1b. Select Stock Orientation:: Right-handed
- 1a. Stock Pattern:: A-3 $132.00

As an update to anyone that cares. The stock fits my tikka .223 varmint perfectly. The action, recoil lug, barrel channel and CDI bottom metal inlet is perfect. I have modified the feed lips on my AICS mag and am all set to go. I didn't snap any photos yet.

Prolly place another order soon. Nice to have one in the queue.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nice cwh!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This from not quite a year ago......

Originally Posted by DickD

Let me tell you how I run this plant. For the last 4 or 5 years we have taken orders for and produced about the same number of stocks in a year. I have the plant balanced to produce about 1/12 of that number every month. The right number of CNC mills and the right number of people and the stocks flow thru the plant in a fairly steady flow. However the orders are very cyclic, we get about 60% to 70% of the orders in a five month period from about Feb. thru June, then they slow way down during the fall and winter months. So, during the high period we are taking orders for about 200 stocks a month more than we can make and we get some long lead times building up. Then the incoming orders start to slow down about June or so and we start to get caught up. During the Aug. thru Jan. period the incoming orders are only about 2/3's of our capacity and by November or so we are down to about 6 to 8 weeks which is about what it takes for a stock to flow thru our one-of-a-kind custom hand-made-to-order
stock process.
Now, there is another way to run a business. I could buy two or three more $60,000 CNC mills, and every Feb. start trying to hire and train 12 or 15 more people, and try to keep caught up with the incoming orders. Then every Aug. or Sept I could let two or three of those expensive machines set idle gathering dust and lay about 12 or 15 people off for 6 months while we produce just the orders that are coming in. The type of people I hire you usually won't get back, they just go find another job. So you go thru this same hire and fire cycle every year and just absorb the material losses you get during the training cycle of new people.
Sorry, but I prefer it my way. I've got a good well-trained steady workforce. We pay them a bit above average for the area, they have good benfits and most of them have been with us for 10 to 20 years and they know that they have good job security so they are very loyal employees. I only hire about two or three people a year to maintain a workforce of about 70.
If you don't like the long leadtimes right now call and order a stock about November, you will probably get it in about 6 to 8 weeks. Your gunsmith will probably tell you the same thing about the barrel installation.
Dick at McMillans

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I received my unpainted Classic for a 700 LA in Edge construction Monday - it was ordered 12/31/2012.

NRA Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by aalf

This from not quite a year ago......

Let me tell you how I run this plant. For the last 4 or 5 years we have taken orders for and produced about the same number of stocks in a year. I have the plant balanced to produce about 1/12 of that number every month. The right number of CNC mills and the right number of people and the stocks flow thru the plant in a fairly steady flow. However the orders are very cyclic, we get about 60% to 70% of the orders in a five month period from about Feb. thru June, then they slow way down during the fall and winter months. So, during the high period we are taking orders for about 200 stocks a month more than we can make and we get some long lead times building up. Then the incoming orders start to slow down about June or so and we start to get caught up. During the Aug. thru Jan. period the incoming orders are only about 2/3's of our capacity and by November or so we are down to about 6 to 8 weeks which is about what it takes for a stock to flow thru our one-of-a-kind custom hand-made-to-order
stock process.
Now, there is another way to run a business. I could buy two or three more $60,000 CNC mills, and every Feb. start trying to hire and train 12 or 15 more people, and try to keep caught up with the incoming orders. Then every Aug. or Sept I could let two or three of those expensive machines set idle gathering dust and lay about 12 or 15 people off for 6 months while we produce just the orders that are coming in. The type of people I hire you usually won't get back, they just go find another job. So you go thru this same hire and fire cycle every year and just absorb the material losses you get during the training cycle of new people.
Sorry, but I prefer it my way. I've got a good well-trained steady workforce. We pay them a bit above average for the area, they have good benfits and most of them have been with us for 10 to 20 years and they know that they have good job security so they are very loyal employees. I only hire about two or three people a year to maintain a workforce of about 70.
If you don't like the long leadtimes right now call and order a stock about November, you will probably get it in about 6 to 8 weeks. Your gunsmith will probably tell you the same thing about the barrel installation.
Dick at McMillans

The issue with this is that there are a bunch of guys on here who ordered during the slow period around November.....and are 6 months out on stocks. Hoping that doesn't mean those who ordered during the peak have to wait even longer.

It's nice to see the pre-price increase rush stocks starting to arrive!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The issue with this is that there are a bunch of guys on here who ordered during the slow period around November.....and are 6 months out on stocks. Hoping that doesn't mean those who ordered during the peak have to wait even longer.

Who knew you wouldn't be able to walk in any store and buy 22 ammo after Nov.....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

If you don't like the long leadtimes right now call and order a stock about November, you will probably get it in about 6 to 8 weeks.

Think I see a typo, I think he meant 6 to 8 months, based on the people posting on this thread. LOL

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Who knew you wouldn't be able to walk in any store and buy 22 ammo after Nov.....

I think quite a few of us saw that one coming.

Are you suggesting that the election and Sandy Hook shooting caused enough orders for Mcmillan that their lead time increased from 6-8 weeks to over 6 months?

Maybe that's exactly what happened.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 06/19/13.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, that was Dick's response from July of last year.

Are you suggesting that McMillan is/was immune from the mass hysteria???

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, I was asking if that's what you were suggesting. I edited my post for clarity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
No, I was asking if that's what you were suggesting. I edited my post for clarity.

Between the first of the year price increase and the hysteria, it all adds up....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Makes sense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Again, that was Dick's response from July of last year.

Are you suggesting that McMillan is/was immune from the mass hysteria???

I dont believe anyone has said anything of the sort. I believe whats being said in a round about way is his management practices suck.

The type of people I hire you usually won't get back, they just go find another job...............I've got a good well-trained steady workforce. We pay them a bit above average for the area, they have good benfits and most of them have been with us for 10 to 20 years and they know that they have good job security so they are very loyal employees.

the first part of that quote contradicts the last. If you pay above average and include good benefits, they cant just go find another job, and wouldnt want to.

I am fairly tolerant, and its good to know there are better times of year to order. But his unwillingness to keep up with demand, which they created with the price increase, at the sacrifice of customer satisfaction is very telling for a company so proud of their reputation. Not even a simple [bleep] sympathy letter/email regarding increased lead times! Bad business, not just for regular joes but smiths also who deal with tight schedules. Unless a helluva deal comes along this is my first and last.

Last edited by pahick; 06/19/13.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pahick

I am fairly tolerant, and its good to know there are better times of year to order. But his unwillingness to keep up with demand, which they created with the price increase, at the sacrifice of customer satisfaction is very telling for a company so proud of their reputation. Not even a simple [bleep] sympathy letter/email regarding increased lead times! Bad business, not just for regular joes but smiths also who deal with tight schedules. Unless a helluva deal comes along this is my first and last.

I think he explained the management practices well and I agree with the way McMillan manages. If they put out 1/12th of the yearly order of stocks per month then things are good. No need to hire temp work for the rush times...it will lead to problems with quality...and a lot of other issues, especially $'s for McMillan.

If they aren't putting out 1/12th of the yearly orders per month then they should hire more and/or purchase new equipment.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by pahick

I think he explained the management practices well and I agree with the way McMillan manages. If they put out 1/12th of the yearly order of stocks per month then things are good. No need to hire temp work for the rush times...it will lead to problems with quality...and a lot of other issues, especially $'s for McMillan.

If they aren't putting out 1/12th of the yearly orders per month then they should hire more and/or purchase new equipment.

I also agree with the way he's managing his company.

Would I like to get my stock quicker, absolutely. But, he's making a good product and I knew up front I would have to wait.

You have to admire someone who respects his employees, and doesn't hire and fire with mass layoffs several times thru the year.

I don't find it that hard to understand.

Last edited by herschel34; 06/19/13.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This thread has lasted quite a long time, much longer than I expected. Just to clarify, my post was never in any way a complaint about McMillan, they are excellent in every regard.

Simply I am hoping for some solidarity in those that are also eagerly awaiting their toy grin

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I have been waiting almost 6 months now this thread has been encouraging to me as I was getting worried that something went wrong. Look at this thread is is amazing how many of us mentioned that we put out order in 12/31. I will to be patient to get a good product.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm gonna wait for all you loser's orders to clear out and order me another.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.