Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RLA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Worked in my mother's yard last week and now i am covered with poison oak. what do you guys use to stop iching and try to make it go away.
thanks

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be honest, I've tried a lot of different remedies, the best advice I can give is to keep it clean and dry - soap & water followed by rubbing alcohol seems to work best. It may sting, and when I get it good, I wash it frequently.

As far as the itching, benadryl.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing really makes it go away. Calamine lotion and oatmeal baths will help with the itching some. Just one of those we gotta deal with from time to time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lots of benadryl. If it's bad enough it may be worth a trip to your local Doc-in-a-Box clinic for a shot. I hate that crap. It'll jump over somebody else just to get on me.

Poison Ivy by the Coasters......CLICK IT

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Go to your doc and get a steroid shot or taper pack. Use a hair dryer on it to make the cells de-granulate and release all their histamine at once. It will feel pretty good while doing it and then not itch for a couple of hours afterward until the histamine is replaced. Benadryl creme and tablets.

Poison oak / ivey is my kyptonite.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Take a trip to the beach. Get in the water!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/24/13.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why are all the Carolina guys posting here?

Goes back to my theory that the Army mad scientists in Bragg have genetically engineered poison ivy, green briar and kudzu into one super bio weapon.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO,..First thing,..take some rubbing alcohol on a clean rag and pour alcohol over the affected area a few times. Don't spare the alcohol, it cuts the oil.

You must make sure you have all the Urushiol removed from your skin, or it will just spread around causing more reactions.

Once you're sure the oil is gone, use the Calamine and maybe some Benadryl.

If it's not working, get yourself to the Dr. and get a shot.

Best of luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tec Labs' CalaGel, been using it for years:

http://www.poisonoakandivy.com/calagel.html

Also, Tecnu Rash Relief:

http://www.poisonoakandivy.com/tecnu_rash_relief.html

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Can't help ya...I've never had it. I didn't even know what it looked like till I was in my mid twenties & my girlfriend wouldn't follow me in to the bushes...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a lot of it in my back yard in NC. I was warned, cut all the shoots and branches in the fall - and use a axe or shears, not a weedeater, which will spread them around. Then wait a few weeks later, until the dead of winter to remove the dead poison oak, when the chemicals are least active.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Can't help ya...I've never had it. I didn't even know what it looked like till I was in my mid twenties & my girlfriend wouldn't follow me in to the bushes...

I can pull it bare handed and burn it without a problem. Got bad as a kid a bunch of times and then it just quit bothering me.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I grew up walking barefoot in the stuff, moved away and came back 15 yrs later and the stuff eats me alive. I have gotten it SO bad that my hands would literally swell up so bad and so ugly that my own mother couldn't look at them! The ONLY two things I have found that help are:

1) Run hot water over your hands or area affected. As hot as you can stand it. Something about it neutralizes the itching for me. Becareful not to burn yourself while doing it, as the relief is SO great that you may lose focus on the heat.

2) Triamcinolone Acetonide cream, USP 0.1%

In several days the cream will wipe it out, apply the stuff to any safe area and it dries it up. It is powerful good stuff for it. Must be prescribed, well worth it, for me at least!!

Good luck, I know how miserable it can be!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rhus Toxicodendron will cut the recovery time in half. http://www.elixirs.com/rhus.cfm

Getting steroids or prednisone pills will cut recovery time by 3/4s, but many doctors don't like to give it for poison. One Dr told me it's like putting out a match with a firehose.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It was pure misery for me the first time I had it. I pretty much had it all over except my head and where I was double layered. The doc kept bringing people in to look at me like a case study. I got the taper pack but it was still hell. If you have bad seasonal hay fever it can be worse. At least that's what the doc said 30+ years ago.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
O
O
http://www.zanfel.com/help/

It works,found out about it in Boy Scouts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RLA
Worked in my mother's yard last week and now i am covered with poison oak. what do you guys use to stop iching and try to make it go away.
thanks

Call your doc and get some Prednisone tablets. You'll take 6 then 5, then 4, etc. Knock it right out. Promise.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nothing works. Go to your doctor and get a shot. Cleared mine up in a day.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wiped my azz with it once at a dove shoot. I was miserable.

Nothing works. Go to your doctor and get a shot. Cleared mine up in a day.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I go the the MD and get a shot(s)...that will stop it in tracks. Otherwise, at first they make a special soap that will remove the oil from your skin, then get the shots...

I'm hyper allergic to it, it gets worse every time. I can't even be around the stuff and I break out. One small spot and my immune system overreacts and I'm covered.

Regards,
Ben
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.