Campfire Ranger
okay! smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Won't work, MY CZ is a K-hornet and it did not come from the factory that way.

But I suppose that would keep me from making a complete fool of myself at my own game. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What is a TARGET rifle?

Where do you guys find all of these fancy odd-looking rifles?

Ed - let's hang some golf balls for Friday evening fun with .22s.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
What is a TARGET rifle?

Where do you guys find all of these fancy odd-looking rifles?

Ed - let's hang some golf balls for Friday evening fun with .22s.

That works for me. grin

BTW, the "target rifle" I used to win the last PD shoot was a Contender Carbine, 21" standard weight barrel, 4x Burris mini scope, chambered in .30-40 Krag, shooting a Hornady 165gr BTSP over 46gr of IMR4350 around 2400fps. grin

Why didn't one of the high end custom rifles with a high dollar scope with a kajillion x magnification, shooting benchrest quality ammo win it? confused

Baffles me.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why? 'Cause you cheated - duh.

grin

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OK, you caught me. I paid attention to the wind, sight picture, breathing, trigger control, and added a dose of schithouse luck. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Scott F
How about we make it factory unmodified except for scope.
Well that leaves me out,changed the factory trigger for a Jewell.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
OK, you caught me. I paid attention to the wind, sight picture, breathing, trigger control, and added a LARGE dose of schithouse luck. grin

Ed
Fixed for you Ed.

Rather be lucky than good. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Amen! I'm not complaining about the dosage. grin

Ed

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
You may not be,but I am. laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I will get a PM out to everyone with some guidelines that we have in mind. Just a few tidbits:

For the two steel matches, they have to be hunting rifles and no magnums on the steel preferably. I may reconsider this if it excludes anyone. If it is a rifle that you would normally carry in the field, it is fine. I just don't want any BR or F-class rifles competing against hunting rifles. Other than that, pretty much open.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I just don't want any BR or F-class rifles competing against hunting rifles.

hmmmm....one o' these?

[Linked Image]

grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dennis, if this is open to iron sights, I would like to shoot my .458WM, but I would be using cast bullets under 2,000fps. Is that too much for the steel?

If so, I can certainly lose with something else. grin

Ed

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ed, the big bore (.37 and up) shoot will be no scope and onto some sort/size gongs yet to be made. The range will be appropriate to that - not ultra-long.

The steel shoots that Dennis is talking about in this post will be at smaller steel targets. One will be for .22LR and at appropriate distance. The other will be somewhat "open" as to type of rifle, and at longer ranges.

In the above post, Dennis is qualifying the types of rifles he intends for that "open" shoot at steel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it helps I will plan on bringing my gong set up. The plate is now chained to the stand so no more of the strap coming off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Ed, the big bore (.37 and up) shoot will be no scope and onto some sort/size gongs yet to be made. The range will be appropriate to that - not ultra-long.

The steel shoots that Dennis is talking about in this post will be at smaller steel targets. One will be for .22LR and at appropriate distance. The other will be somewhat "open" as to type of rifle, and at longer ranges.

In the above post, Dennis is qualifying the types of rifles he intends for that "open" shoot at steel.

Nice. will all three shoots be off the bench, or some combo of sitting & standing too?

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
tex n cal, when Dennis and I get them "written-up", individual shoot details will come out in a later PM to attendees.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Dennis, if this is open to iron sights, I would like to shoot my .458WM, but I would be using cast bullets under 2,000fps. Is that too much for the steel?

If so, I can certainly lose with something else. grin

Ed

The 458 is not a problem, it is the bullets going 3300 fps that worry me. You can even shoot hard bullets out of the 458. I am going to bring my Lott.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I will send a PM out with more details. I am open to suggestions on the "open" shoot. I was thinking that we would shoot from any field position we want: prone, sitting, shooting sticks, standing etc. I would like to get away from the bench if possible. I don't mind bipods, sand bags, packs, somebody's back etc wink

I thought about brining a piece of carpet or something to lay on. We are limited in the available distance we can shoot out of the CG so I am wanting to make it a little more interesting. If we could go out to 5-600 yards, I would be all for using the bench.

NRA Benefactor Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I always have at least one surplus wool blanket in my truck, I can throw that down for folks that want to get low.

I am bringing my spotting scope, too, along with my laser rangefinder, but I think Ken's B&S and the old German rangefinders would be much more cool to use. grin

I went looking for my supply of old range golfballs and discovered that they had been disposed of by my lovely bride since I didn't play golf... frown So, if someone else can come up with some used golf balls, we can certainly hang those for targets.

Ed

Page 30 of 39 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,238 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.