Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
JSTUART-RE: wifes curtains.

I take an old plastic jug, cut a hole in its side, and slide the muzzle inside. Toss after use. No muss, no fuss.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am liking the Pro-Shot one piece stainless rods. Stiff, good bearings, and small enough handle to clear the stock. Just me.....

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for Bore Tech, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you sure you got the .22 size rod? I have both .22 and .30 size rods and never had a problem. I clean everything under .30 with the .22 rod, including a AR15 and a custom 220 Swift with no problems.

I did have to use smaller patches with the Tipton jags.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a few Deweys and I think the bearings and handles are crap. The have balls riding against plastic. The best rods I have are Bore Tech but there may well be better ones.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Most of my guns don't even see a rod anymore. An overnight soak with Wipeout, and one zip with a Boresnake and you are done.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Tipton for me!!!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by websterparish47
JSTUART-RE: wifes curtains.

I take an old plastic jug, cut a hole in its side, and slide the muzzle inside. Toss after use. No muss, no fuss.

I have been using Muzzlemate for a number of years after finding black curtains really excited my wife...and not in a good way.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
These sorts of threads always amaze me, because so many posters firmly state ONE cleaning rod (or cartridge, bullet, scope, rifle, venison recipe, strip joint, etc.) is superior to anything else--without any back-up information about how they came to this firm conclusion.

I must have 25-30 cleaning rods, some made as far back as the 1970's and some from the past year. The handles on some don't twirl as well as others, and some are coated and some not. They have all worked to clean a bunch of bores, and since I also have a bore-scope I've found the rumors about cleaning rods wearing out barrels are just that, rumors. As Butch noted, shooting wears out barrels, not cleaning rods.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have used the same three rods for everything from 22lr to 30-06, I just change ends and boreguides.

Never had an issue with flex, tapping, or binding...never stuffed any barrels either.

ps, I did try a Proshot years ago but it was nowhere near as good as my old steel Parker Hales, actually...it was a piece of rubbish.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i have about 30rods every size available i think. i use the deweys more than the others. i showed up at a auction a few years ago and they were selling a whole hand full of dewey rods at one time. i bought 7 of them for 10.00.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
All Rods are not the same Diameter and neither are the Jags . You also have to optimize the shape , material , and size of the Patch ( I like Proshot Patches )with the particular Jag you are using .... I have not tried any of the new Triangular Patches which are not supposed to stick yet , but will probably order some . Anyway , my old Dewey Rods work fine for 22 and larger , not so fine for 20 and 17 .....they Kink ! I like the Tipton for the small Calibers , but as mentioned in previous Posts ( they can blow apart and stick you ) so I'm going to use some sort of thick glove ....just in case . I also like the Bore Tech and Kleen Bore Rods , and have heard the Ivy is the Rolls Royce of Rods , but have never seen one . I can't remember but I think the Ivy is Spring Steel . If I were starting from scratch , I guess I would just follow Butches advice .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As with scopes, if the cost of your cleaning rod doesn't exceed the cost of the rifle, you can't consider yourself serious about the whole business.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
True that! grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
why would anyone need or want 30 cleaning rods?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
why would anyone need or want 30 cleaning rods?

Perhaps, as a writer, to stay on top of what is currently offered?

I just counted mine out in the shop, and was kinda surprised that I own 14 - 11 rifle (some one-piece, some segmented) and 3 pistol.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think you should use as large a diameter rod as is possible for each caliber. I wish they made better cleaning rods for big bores and shotguns. I hate patching out my 17, it's like trying to push a piece of pasta through the barrel!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you are perhaps thinking Carbon Fiber might, in some way, be less abrasive than steel or plastic coated steel or aluminum think again. I make knives as a hobby, using carbon fiber as bolster or handle material. The only way you can cut it is to use the same bandsaw I use to cut my blade steel...the carbon fiber will eat up a regular wood cutting blade...it can be tough stuff, and it will abrade the soft (in relative terms) barrel steel.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
If you are perhaps thinking Carbon Fiber might, in some way, be less abrasive than steel or plastic coated steel or aluminum think again. I make knives as a hobby, using carbon fiber as bolster or handle material. The only way you can cut it is to use the same bandsaw I use to cut my blade steel...the carbon fiber will eat up a regular wood cutting blade...it can be tough stuff, and it will abrade the soft (in relative terms) barrel steel.

Glad you posted this. In the old days when I was in the machine shop daily the cutters were eaten up by the carbon fiber. We had to use Carbide cutters. If I used a carbon fiber rod, I would worry about barrel wear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad you posted this as well. I pointed this out a couple years ago and got the wrath of the Tipton rod supporters who hadn't had their cleaning rods long enough to figure this out.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (2003and2013, 257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.