Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The RCMP have admitted to forcing entry into houses with High River to seize firearms. The residents are not allowed in due to flood issues, the RCMP are holding the firearms until individuals can prove ownership. Please check the Calgary Herald for details. I will refrain from further comment until my temper has abated. GRF

ICalgary Herald: HIGH RIVER � RCMP revealed Thursday that officers have confiscated a �substantial amount� of firearms from homes in the evacuated town of High River. �We just want to make sure that all of those thin (See the full text at http://www.calgaryherald.com/Hell+R...from+High+River+homes/8588867/story.html)

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, what do you expect, this is KANADA, where we serfs really have NO rights and the cops can do pretty much what they want.

The issue of "proving ownership" of personal property STOLEN by what has become an absolute national disgrace, the most appalling and incompetent national "law enforcement" department in any "First World" nation is the REALLY interesting aspect of this entire disgusting affair.

We NEED a REAL Constitution here and we NEED it NOW!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How does a person prove ownership of a firearm they may have inherited or which they acquired many years ago and for which they no longer have a purchase document?

Under these circumstances the Mounties are likely to say "oh well, if the guns were registered there wouldn't be any problem in proving ownership."

I couldn't get the newspaper page to come up so couldn't read the article. It would seem what the Mounties did amounts to common theft - they entered a private residence without the owners permission and removed articles from that residence.

Let the Mounties prove they are not common thieves.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If the police have done diligence in seizing these firearms, they should have the date, time and LOCATION (address) they were seized from attached to every individual firearm. What's this about proving ownership? It came from MY HOUSE -- I OWN IT! mad

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
These are the people,(RCMP), that are "Protecting" citizens? What if they were on the "other" side?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There is a remedy for this sort of schit. It is called the sniper ambush. Done often enough, it'll bring modern armies to their knees.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the law states is that they must be stored under lock and key, if they broke in and removed them, then I think the owners have a right to take them to court over this. All the owners should get together and get a few lawyers to represent them and nail those MF real good.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Notice the erroneous information in the article:

Federal regulations require gun owners to keep firearms in locked vaults or containers. When guns are being stored, they must be unloaded and disabled, either by a trigger lock, cable lock or by removing the bolt.

Province will work with RCMP to return High River firearms

By Jason van Rassel, Calgary Herald June 28, 2013 3:05 PM

Comment 0 Solicitor General Jonathan Denis said the government will work with the RCMP to return firearms that police removed from evacuated homes in High River to their rightful owners.

A move by the RCMP to seize guns found during door-to-door searches of High River during a complete evacuation of the town of 13,000 residents has angered some area residents.

Legislation gives police additional powers during a state of emergency to enter homes to check on residents� welfare and ensure there are no safety issues.

Denis said in an interview Friday he wants to ensure firearms seized under that authority are returned to owners in a timely way.

�What I�m looking forward to hearing from the RCMP is they have an orderly process for returning people�s property to them,� Denis said.

�I will work with the RCMP to ensure there�s an orderly return of property.�

The RCMP released a written statement Friday pledging to return guns to owners �as soon as practically possible.�

The statement said the guns were found �in plain view� during search and rescue operations during the evacuation.

�The last thing any gun owner wants is to have their guns fall into the wrong hands. Residents of High River can be assured that firearms now in the possession of the RCMP are in safe hands, and will be returned to them as soon as practically possible,� Assistant Commissioner Marianne Ryan said in the RCMP�s written statement.

As solicitor general, Denis and his department oversee policing in the province and have a 20-year contract with the RCMP to act as the provincial police force in small towns and rural areas.

However, Denis stressed the police don�t take specific direction from the government on operations and tactics.

�Policing is independent. There was no direction from our government to do this,� Denis said.

�I have every confidence they�re going to get this right in the end, and there was no intention to step on the rights of law-abiding gun owners.�

The provincial government has released a letter Denis wrote Thursday to the RCMP�s commander in Alberta, Dep. Commissioner Dale McGowan, expressing concerns about the seizures on behalf of High River residents.

�First, I would ask you to please confirm that these firearms are stored and not confiscated or seized,� Denis wrote.

Federal regulations require gun owners to keep firearms in locked vaults or containers. When guns are being stored, they must be unloaded and disabled, either by a trigger lock, cable lock or by removing the bolt.

Failing to follow storage regulations can result in charges under the Criminal Code or the federal Firearms Act.

Denis acknowledged it�s quite likely residents in High River moved their guns to keep them from being damaged by flood waters � but he added police also have the ability to take that into consideration.

�My personal view is we have to consider the context we�re dealing with,� he said.

�I wouldn�t be surprised people took guns out of their lockers so they wouldn�t get flooded.�

More to come on this story � the Herald is still seeking additional comment from the RCMP and others.

jvanrasselcalgaryherald.com

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/P...irearms/8593564/story.html#ixzz2XXh1IQ6b

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Are they as concerned about computers, jewelry, or other high dollar, portable items

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they took out a tv they probably would be accused of theft. It gets harder and harder to support police. Add this to the militarization of the municipal forces and they no longer resemble the police I knew in my youth.

Jim

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The point is, are they concerned with loss of private property or is there another agenda?,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Folks how do you know they (RCMP) aren't busy recording serial #'s and making a list of everybody and their guns just like they had before? Maybe seeing how many they can charge and take away their guns. Just saying!! Cheers NC P.S. Good luck

Last edited by northcountry; 06/28/13.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The little boy follows the bigger bully, This was done in New Orleans after Katrina.

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
http://youtu.be/BLm5kkBgKSM This one is a Must Watch!

Last edited by bcd; 06/28/13.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One article I read stated that the Premier supports the actions of the RCMP in this theft. On a brighter note, the Prime Ministers Office has entered the fray on the side of the residents/gun owners and has ordered the return of peoples firearms ASAP and does not support the RCMP action.
Interesting times in Alberta.
I think Redford has sealed the fate of the Provincial Conservatives in Alberta with this latest Liberal in Conservative colours outrage.
Kute, I agree, it is way past time we had a Constitution in Canada that protected the rights of the law abiding. We need Property Rights, Gun Rights and the Right to Life, Liberty and the means to ensure them through self defense!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It must be real nice to leave your home locked and secure to return to your front door busted in by the very people that are supposed to prevent that from happening. Clearly there are some 'decision makers' withing the rcmp that need to retire, they have been in power so long they have lost any common sense and perspective on what is right and wrong.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The one good thing about this is that the illegals that head south to the U.S. can usually speak English and are a better class of people than the southern border. I think that is why they put the worst Border Patrol agents on the Northern border. (like deflave)

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (2500HD, 06hunter59, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 30 invisible), 12,089 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,234
Posts18,544,203
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.