Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 39 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 38 39
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I assume you mean four-legged feral hogs. Not two-legged or two-wheeled ones.
Yes the Four-Legged hogs. blush

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
"Twenty-eight mile,thirty-five minute drive" dang you must be slowin' down in your old age. smile

I WAS towing a boat at the time. grin

Also, I don't drive real fast if I have civilian passengers. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tdd4570
I think you need to put one of these gatherings on in east Texas. �

Do it!

You won't regret it unless you miss it.

You may even see Ed behave himself, with Barbara there to see that he does.

I always behave myself. Badly, at times, but I do behave. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hey Ed,are there any hogs close to your place?

Yes, there's a sounder of ten or so that have been passing through our place on an irregular basis (~100-125lb), and a buddy of mine has permission to hunt a dairy not far from here, but the shots are in the 350-500yd range, just before sunset.

The owner of the dairy is very particular about who hunts his place as there are a bunch of replacement heifers in that same pasture and some of those hogs look like Hampshires.
Since he's milking Holsteins, he doesn't trust many folks to tell a week old Holstein calf from a mature Hampshire sow at 500yds right at dark. eek

Ed

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Don't blame the gentleman one bit.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"Twenty-eight mile,thirty-five minute drive" dang you must be slowin' down in your old age. smile

Jap pickup.

grin

That "Jap pickup" was built in Indiana and is still going strong after 249,000 miles. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Lake Fork is pretty famous for hawgs with fins smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Jap pickup.

grin

That "Jap pickup" was built in Indiana and is still going strong after 249,000 miles. grin Schit,it's just broke in. laugh

Ed

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If we DO have a gathering here, I'm sure we can scare up some crow shooting and possible a coyote stand or two on our place. Lots of crows here and I have been holding off on using my secret weapon on them, looking for the right time. grin

There are three packs of coyotes within a mile of here. On some nights you can hear all three start singing right at dark from three different quadrants of the compass.

A few big bobcats around, too.

Ed

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
COYOTES,BOBCATS well things are looking up. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
I just went throught there its nice now. August is going to be a bear.

August average high 85, average low 50.

"Just the facts ma'am."

Maybe Vegas or Phoenix would be milder ?

Can we bring horses ?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Lake Fork is pretty famous for hawgs with fins smile

Yes, it is. Lake O'The Pines has some finned hawgs, too, but doesn't get the pressure that Fork does. We are also about forty minutes from Lake Bob Sandlin. We are 90 minutes from Lake Palestine, about the same from Wright Patman Lake and Caddo Lake.
Our local city lake, Gilmer Lake is 1,100ac of great crappie and decent bass fishing. It is fifteen minutes from my front gate to the boat launch.

My measly two, 1ac+ ponds only have 6-7lb largemouth bass, bluegills, and something the locals call a "warmouth perch" or "Goggle eye", which looks and fights a lot like a smallmouth bass, just not as big. The two ponds are about fifty yards from where I am sitting right now. grin

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by buffalo1930
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
I just went throught there its nice now. August is going to be a bear.

August average high 85, average low 50.

"Just the facts ma'am."

Maybe Vegas or Phoenix would be milder ?

Can we bring horses ?

Check the website for the Gila National Forest. The regs about horses should be there. If not, CCCC can give you the straight scoop.

Ed

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not much for fishing,but COYOTES,BOBCATS,now that is what I call fun.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Will plan on bringing a pile of the blue cheeseburgers like last time. Probably won't bring a grill this time, though, as we won't have as much space. Will stick to a Coleman stove and camp out.
Looking forward to seeing everybody again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffalo1930
August average high 85, average low 50. � Can we bring horses ?

Check the website for the Gila National Forest. The regs about horses should be there. If not, CCCC can give you the straight scoop.

http://www.scsun-news.com/silver_city-news/ci_23530367

The ranger office for this district is right across the street from my front door � 1-575-773-4678. Good maps showing all the horse trails should be available there, and for sure you can get the latest official USFS skinny there.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Will they let you ride your iron horse, Ken? grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will they let you ride your iron horse, Ken? grin

The last two times when I was on any kind of horse, I got "throwed" or desperately needed help to stay on.

� I slid too far back on my stitching horse, and it tipped backward under me. I'm probably the only leather-worker in history who got dumped by a stitching horse.

� I was about to get "throwed" off the other one � was hanging on desperately � when the clerk from Radio Shack came out and unplugged it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Folks use and ride horses in the forest here frequently - miles and miles of great riding country. There would be places near camp to tie/corral them - at a reasonable distance of course - and hope they aren't spooked by lots of shooting near camp.

I do not know the rules, if any, regarding horses brought in from other states.

Last edited by CCCC; 06/30/13.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Paul,

A lot of states have requirements regarding a recent Coggins Test for transport across state lines, some require proof of certain vaccinations as well.

It is just responsible ownership to have all that up to date, anyway.

Barbara hauls hers all over the country. She has a notebook for each horse that she keeps all of that info in.
I'll ask her where she looks to find out a particular area's regulations & requirements.

For our place, we have to see a current Coggins before a horse comes off of a trailer.

Ed

Page 33 of 39 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 9 invisible), 963 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,091
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.