Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Doesn't everyone?
THAT!!

+1

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DAO, 4053, round in chamber.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I can not envision a scenario when, or a reason why, I would carry a SD gun with no round in the chamber. I have always assumed that if needed it would be needed RIGHT NOW.

-Z

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uh, yeah!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I can't imagine carrying and not having one in the chamber.
STAY READY

The foundation for old age is good memories.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Carrying a gun not immediately ready to fire is extremely foolish. Might as well carry safety scissors or a condom.

Comparing a gun without a round in the chamber to safety scissors is what's foolish. I'd even dare say "extremely" so.

I fail to see why. Both are equally useless in this context

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My CCW instructor brought up an interesting point on this topic. . . If you have enough time to deploy the weapon AND rack the slide, then you likely (not definitely) have enough time to remove yourself from the situation without firing a round. If you don't have time to rack the slide, well. . .

My job keeps me from carrying on a daily basis, but when I am carrying there is a round in the chamber in my CZ. In the H&R, the hammer sits on an empty chamber next to a round of snake-shot. Then 7 CCI Stingers.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don�t always carry a handgun, but when I do, I prefer a round in the chamber.

Stay prepared, my friends.

[Linked Image]

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn
You will not find a modern SD pistol training doctrine anywhere that teaches Condition 3 carry for any reason.

As I understand it, there are some jews who would disagree with that.

Carrying a gun not immediately ready to fire is extremely foolish. Might as well carry safety scissors or a condom.

Comparing a gun without a round in the chamber to safety scissors is what's foolish. I'd even dare say "extremely" so.

I fail to see why. Both are equally useless in this context

I don't doubt that you fail to see why. The answer is because one is a gun that can be loaded and fired and the other is safety scissors.

Originally Posted by NC35rem
My CCW instructor brought up an interesting point on this topic. . . If you have enough time to deploy the weapon AND rack the slide, then you likely (not definitely) have enough time to remove yourself from the situation without firing a round.

How long does it take you to rack a slide?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It depends. In a situation with humans, loaded and ready.

In the bush, I like revolvers with the hammer on an empty hole in the cylinder. A fall and percussion on the hammer could mean bleeding to deatha long way from help with 6 rounds.. I know some professional trappers that work alone. One guy carries with 4 rounds- an empty under the hammer and the next one, in case a branch catches the trigger.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd never advocate an empty chamber as the best way to carry, or even a good way to carry.

But when folks start equating it to "carrying a paperweight" or "safety scissors" and such, they're not being honest about the realities of the conversation. When you show me a paperweight that is designed to fit the human hand, internally carries 15 rounds of ammunition and is capable of being chambered and fired, I'll agree. Until then, it's nonsense.

All I ask is that people THINK about what they're doing and WHY they're doing it. Buying into "someone told me" isn't thinking. Go to the range, try what works for you WITH A TIMER and draw your own conclusions. That's what I did.

Do whatever you want, but have a reason for it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RWL99
Watching Fox News tonight, NYPD Detective Bo Dietl talked about George Zimmerman having a round in the chamber and the difference it made. The host ask Bo if he carried with a RIC to witch he answered, "Yes, I carry a 9MM and it has a RIC right NOW". I thought that was funny that a guest on a TV news show admitted to being armed then and there...

Personally I think it could make a difference between life and death. In the time it would take you to chamber a round, it could be too late.

How many carry with a chambered round?
Exactly. It's not really loaded without a round in the chamber. Had it not been in that condition, Zimmerman would likely be dead today, or brain damaged. Defense should ask every cop that's on the stand from now on if he keeps one in the chamber, and why.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes and no

yes=Jframe

no=self loader

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Not long wink But if it is a matter of "imminent threat of death or great bodily harm," I'm working under the assumption that every second counts. . .

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Not long wink But if it is a matter of "imminent threat of death or great bodily harm," I'm working under the assumption that every second counts. . .

The case at hand is the perfect case in point. They were struggling for it and Zimmerman got to it first. His other hand was busy fighting off Martin, and not available for racking the slide.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is this a serious question?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Which makes sense.

But the notion that if you have time to rack a slide you have time to run away doesn't make sense, at all. If I need to assemble a stripped pistol and load a magazine from my pocket, yes-I would have time to just run away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Exactly. It's not really loaded without a round in the chamber. Had it not been in that condition, Zimmerman would likely be dead today, or brain damaged. Defense should ask every cop that's on the stand from now on if he keeps one in the chamber, and why.

What Zimmerman was doing involved a very high risk of encounter with an armed opponent. Having a round in the chamber makes much more sense than an empty chamber in that kind of scenario.

On the other hand, there have been so many AD's and otherwise avoidable 'accidental' shooting by LE types that one has to wonder whether or not a loaded chamber presents a greater danger.

For those of use that assiduously avoid situations where a gun might actually need to be used, I contend that the loaded chamber is often the greater danger. Speaking only for myself and considering the ***many hundreds of times*** I've avoided loading or unloading a chamber versus the ***zero*** times I've needed to draw my carry firearm, an empty chamber makes sense more often than not.

In Zimmerman's situation I would have had a loaded chamber.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chambering a round isn't just an issue of time - it's about the ability and/or opportunity to get it done under tough circumstances.

How you going to execute that one-handed slide manipulation drill (you know, the one you've seen on TV and the internet and practiced maybe 10 times on the range) when your flat on your back and staving off a knife, impact weapon, fist or a gun?

Just curious?

Last edited by 41magfan; 07/03/13.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do not understand why a gun should be carried in condition one than you are naive or an idiot.

Along the same line of thinking, in the context of a self defense tool, an unloaded gun (Anything but condition one) is about as useful as safety scissors, a pocket knife, or a paperweight; which is to say a bludgeoning or stabbing implement.

This argument bores me, good day sirs.

[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.