Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 145 of 229 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 228 229
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
72, thanks for all you help..I will check this out..have a great July..

Molon Labe
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have done alright on on the other end for cruising pikes in August with big minnows in the evening by creek or river mouths...imagine a fly would work.

A dead minnow is your friend when fishing a spring in a deep lake in July/August...:)

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No problem, have fun,

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Boxer

,gwe,

Happiness is an Loomis GLX 1141-S 9'6" UL blowing right the [bleep] up on a 35" Trout. LOVED the sound of the explosion.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Loomis is good stuff. You musta mistreated it..... whistle

Heres a 'pard trying to blow up a 4' Micro light with a 500 Shimano on a pike..

[Linked Image]

Couldnt get it done...but after a few hundred the reel was schitt... but pike don't run like those adipose finned fishys.... wink

Only thing breakin rods on this trip was my wife...she disposed of a 5.5 footer....

Yeah, that looks like rod abuse to me. whistle

But I never used a Loomis on fresh water stuff. Just Bones and Permit and 'Poon and cobia and other chitt like that. They don't have stumps and stuff to wrap around, just rocket packs on their asses.

Had a green 40# bull dolphin come aboard one day that trashed 4 rods in the holders before he got clubbed into submission. Azzhole.

Penalty for rod abuse is another trip to the fishin' store I guess.

Gorgeous fish that trout, though the bluritude needs some work.

HAAAR!

BD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Back in the day when I fished saltwater we used to keep a smallish baseball bat on hand for things like your dolphin. Always reffered to it as a " Preist" because it administered the last rites.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Indeed. Still have mine. They work on things more hazardous than fish.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'gwe,

Never was enthralled with that particular Loomis GLX and always muchly preferred the GL3 version of the 1141-S. I was shy of 500 Trout,28" or better on it...though my GL3 is welllllllll over 1000 victims.

The Dude however,grooves on a GLX 1141-S and who am I,to tell him "no"?!?(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In fairness,there ain't too much Riggin' that can keep pace with my pursuits and passions and I've never seen or heard of anybody who's broke more rods,puked more reels,shot out more barrels or wore out more boots. So I've long known goin' in,that it's all gonna puke someday and have had an appreciation for wares that weather storms better than others.

Now I prefer Gary Rods that are much pre-Shimano,but dat's another story in and of itself. Reels have flip-flopped through the years,as to which Maker is getting the most schit right. For a Coffee Grinder Today,Shimano do steal the show and I'm still hearin' that a Stradic is alotta 'Grinder for the loot,as per F&S. I've daily done things with a '2500 that cain't be did and rest assured,my heart is very much into making one puke and my "maintenance program"...would make Shimano cringe.(grin) I'm purty hard on Riggin',all Riggin'.

'Course nothing is forgivinger than a boat and a guy can get by with alotta schit there,that wouldn't begin to cut it streamside. I mean rifle weight/length/handling has no bearing either.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lotsa stuff is "good",until is used in direct comparison and fewer and fewer folks is of the time,means or inclination to sort such particulars out,though such pursuits ain't never not interested me. Never could master "going light",prolly 'cause I've always had the shoulders for the job of going heavy.(grin) Good schit gets noted for more procurement and lesser wares get throwed in the fire. I've seen me fuel some VERY [bleep] impressive blazes.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Have thought once or twice about buying a boat,for here along The Milford...but cain't seem to talk myself into it.

BEST Thread Evah!

brinky,

Sounds like you "fish" rather "often" and "catch" quite a "bunch".

Laffin'!

WyoCoyo',

I've long Dreamed of catching a Sammun myself. Guys like 'Hank and Brinky,really know how to paint a purty picture(with their Imaginations).

Laffin'!

DD,

A "break" don't count as a kill,unless it were via a pizzed off victim. I've been an Ace in a single day,numerous times.(grin)

Any excuse I can muster,to punch a victim in the ear,is more than good 'nuff for me and I've seen me throw a multitude of punches in a day. Volume pursuits,have always interested me.(grin)

Now "Purty Trout" is subjective and while I've caught 1000's and 1000's of mirrors,I've always had me a soft spot for just a peench of blush and that window is oh soooooooooooo slight in The Grand Scheme of a life cycle. 'Course ambient light and surroundings,do help to tell the whole story and like everything else,I'm focusin' the Whole Enchilada.

This is close to right,as per the relative spectrum of Troutly Coloration(s).

[Linked Image]

Though in the right mood,one deeper in the cycle,can be appreciated in contrast. I reckon that Pun be intended.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_0239.jpg[/img]

It do seem like there's lotsa stuff to do in The Outdoors and I reckon that's why I cain't savvy Whining Couchbound [bleep] and their glorious Imaginations.

They prolly Pretend not to,too.(grin)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1 on the Shimanos- even the lower priced jobs ( Spirex, Sedona) we have put to use they werent intended for and life has been surprising. Stradics on up are skookum.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ya I have a fleet of Daiwas and I gotta say, theyre [bleep] junk. The only one that's stood any amount of abuse is am Advantage-A 2500 I use on my Steelhead rod. I've tore the guts out of two Tierras, and an exceler-HS I have is just a [bleep] joke. It binds up on peanut Atlantic's and rainbow, its strictly a Walleye reel now, as they're actually something the POS can handle.

I'll be slowly switching over to Shimano and not looking back.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wUY2D4V52E&feature=youtube_gdata_playerBrink, this is how I do it. Only I leave the rib cage on the scrap carcass. Its a million times nicer than the 5 piece method.

I soaked you [bleep] yanks for some serious tips when I wrapped their pike up for their ride home like that...neat and tidy wink

Last edited by archie_james_c; 07/07/13.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty simple with fishin' gear. Upper tier of quality gets to come home with me, rest I don't look at twice. Mostly cause I lean toward salt the first thing that counts is the drag. Shim's got good drags, vintage '90s, be it spin or casting.

Penn Internationals rocked back then, haven't wore them out so I don't know chitt about today's production. Their heavy spinners pull freight well. 60# line on a short stumpy rod with a Penn 850 is a killer on grouper and other bottom dwellers if you crank the drag tighter than a nun's, uh, corset. Yeah, corset.

There was another company down in So. Florida back in the day that made the best reels in recorded history, fly, spin and trolling. Had several, can't recall the brand name....seriously expensive...will come to me when I hit 'enter' probably. -snicker-

Fin-Nor.....never did man make a better drag...back then...

D

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My youngest grandson, yesterday.

[Linked Image]

GB4 reelin' them in.

4-1/2 and off to a good start.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
and his older brother at 11 yrs. with his first deer, and my Kimber Montana in 260 Rem, loaded with 120 gr. Ballistic tips.

[Linked Image]

Easy when you're wearin' the appropriate footwear............

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/07/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
,gwe',

Shimano do better on their Coffee Grinders,than their Casting Reels. Their bane being braking power. The itty-bitty 2500 Series Stradic's,wear 15# brakes and they are long lived...which is a money maker.

The Milford finally thawed yesterday and I reckon it could be time to put an Albino Gopher boat into the water.

Saw my first Spotted Owl yesterday too and found it intellestin',as I've heard so much about them.

[Linked Image]

Saw another Gopher come outta it's hole,yesterday early evening. Need to get some pics on my IMac,so I can see WTF.

Bedded Gopher,half in his hole on Mount Milford.

[Linked Image]

He woke up,for some reason.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BEST Thread Evah!

arch',

If you go to a 4000 Series Stradic,you reap 20# brake pads. May be a consideration for you,depending upon whatcha' typically require as line capacity.

I'm at ease with a 2500 stoked with 30# PP,as a mainstay,though I've a heard and go to 5000 sizing. I've seen me thumb spools,point rod tips and put the what-is on some splendid specimens,in sucha fashion.

They are smooooooooth,TOUGH and reliable and them is GOOD thangs.

DD,

I've a herd of Shimano Tekota's,in case I can ever save up enough,for a BWT to the Salt. They do nice things,but like all things Shimano,are light in the azz,when it comes to braking power. Got 'em all,up to 600's,but think I'd favor a 300 as an All Arounder,for bottom bouncin' and castin'. Might even Troll nice too. It'd seem like if you stoked 'em with 80# PP,that a guy would be in purty good shape.

Fin-Nor set the bar early and become Legendary...right outta da' gate.

Gee',

As per always,I enjoy the humor...especially when you don't intend it.

Bless your heart.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Have not used Shimano casters, or anyone elses for that matter since I was a youngster....Webster's used to have a pic of me next to 'backlash' in their dictionary...thats all you need to know... whistle

I do like their spinning reels and am liking a couple of their UL rods I picked up as well...gonna go catch a speckled fish with one soon....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
15#/2500 size will do it. And if that doesn't then I'm bumping to a casting setup. Even our Chinooks only top 25lbs on a very good day, so 4000/5000s are just unwanted bulk and line capacity.

If I'm not the running a 2500 on my 7' to 9' rods, Im dropping down to 2000s for my 6' and 6'3" walleye rods...and brake power don't matter for them laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'gwe,

As Coffee Grinders get better and better,I find myself using Casters less and less. I growed up thumbing spools and Feeshin' Bass Tournies,so being ninja with a Caster is sumptin' I take for granted.

A killer 'Grinder will always be able to outpitch a killer Caster,when it comes to svelte Presentations in tight confines. Slippin' Shadows and amassing a high body count victim tally,is a pursuit expressly engineered to showcase the inherent attributes of a longer rod and a 'Grinder stuffed with braid.

Need to finger out a way to mount my GoPro,if only to capture more posterity. May convert a Filson Tin Packer hat,as a dedicated GoPro platform...as I can see where it'd really get he [bleep] Whiners whining.(grin)

BEST Thread Evah!

I'm often in 30#/2500 Mode. The larger Grinders cast farther,due their larger diameter spools,but I tend to scale down as opposed to rounding up. Sister on the other hand,is a 5000 Fanatic and I think much of it due to increased drag and extry leverage,because of it's the longer handle. She also routinely defaults to the Loomis STFR 1363 S,which is 11'4" of azz kicking carnage.

This frame from yesterday,cracked me up.

[Linked Image]

You boys are bad influences. At the beginning of this Thread the only rifle I had was a Mouser '06,drove a Fly Rod,never gave a thunk to buying a boat and was beyond content with Polaroid pics.

What next?!?(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Hows that Albin treating you? I ain't seen any pics of bloody decks yet.

Unless I'm trolling or dropping bigger weight, [bleep] a bunch of casters. I'll take a wrapper over a winder any day.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only a matter of time afore this thread went fishy. sick

I demand pics of the Filson w/accoutrements, when ready. Preferably "pants on".

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Stick, grinder stuffed with braid, as you call it, is literally what enables us to catch large fishys on small equipment. No stretch lets us set the 2/0 hooks with ultralight tackle, small diameter per lb. test lets us stretch the limits of the tackle until we occasionally break it whistle

But its all in phun and has changed the way we fish....

Example: #17 pike, 4'9" Ultralight, Shimano 500, #10 Fireline.

[Linked Image]

Same outfit even gives the smaller feeshes dat phun 'rodeo' feel... grin

[Linked Image]

And no, I NEVER change clothes.... whistle

Last edited by ingwe; 07/10/13.

Page 145 of 229 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (2UP, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 160user, 44mc, 35, 16 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.