Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by RWL99
Personally I think it could make a difference between life and death. In the time it would take you to chamber a round, it could be too late.

How many carry with a chambered round?

There is more common ground amongst the debaters than they might think. There are two separate questions being addressed: (1) How many carry with a chambered round? and (2) What is the "best" way to carry?

I think both sides agree that the fastest way to get your pistol into action it to carry with a loaded chamber. That said, some folks have stated why they don't think that it's the best way for them to carry. I think these folks realize that they are increasing their chances of their gun not saving them, but they do so consciously, preferring the decreased risk of an AD (and I'm talking mathematical probabilities here, not addressing anyone's skill and carrying/handling a gun. An empty chamber can't result in an AD.) Proponents of carrying RIC see the risk of an AD as sufficiently remote that the benefits outweigh the risks. Let the debate begin...

My thoughts:

1. Saying a pistol without a round in the chamber is as useless as a rock or scissors is flatly wrong. If I had to choose between scissors and a loaded pistol w/o a round in the chamber, I am choosing the gun. But, given the choice, I'd choose a gun w/ a round in the chamber over a gun w/o a round in the chamber.

2. Telling someone that if they won't carry Condition 1, then they shouldn't carry at all is also wrong. Again, a person is better off with a gun w/o a chambered round than no gun at all. However, I encourage people to consider how many times their hammer has accidentally dropped on their unloaded chamber. So far, 100% of the people I've asked have said "never." When I started carrying, I conducted an experiment and actually carried my 1911 with a loaded magazine, chamber unloaded, hammer back, and safety off. I wanted to see how easy (or hard) it was to accidently jostle/bump the gun and make the hammer drop. After a month, it didn't happen once. So I began carrying with a chambered round and also use the safety.

In my experience, it's the women who are afraid to carry with one in the chamber. Like the rest of us, they recognize that they are increasing their risk of not being able to use their gun when they need it most, but that increased risk does not overcome their fear of an AD--by them or somebody else getting their hands on their gun. Even after months of owning and carrying their gun safely, they simply will not chamber a round. Again, I believe that person is better off in Condition 3 than with no gun at all. I say that we should encourage them to continue to carry and encourage (not berate) them to try carrying Condition 1 occasionally--like on a quick trip to the store. Just do it once and see how it goes. They will, hopefully, become comfortable with the notion and do it more and more. Like overcoming other fears, sometimes small steps lead to success.

3. In my personal life, I've drawn my gun, thinking I was going to fire it, exactly once. (A pit bull came out from under a porch onto the sidewalk and headed for a small dog that my daughter was walking). It happened very suddenly. My 1911 was in my hand and the safety was off before I even could think about what I was doing. I think dogs can sense fear. I also think they can sense when someone is not afraid. I had no fear as I yelled that dog back to his house, keeping the gun on him the whole time.) There are three or four other situations where I didn't need to pull my gun, but I encountered people rather unexpectedly. Had they been "bad guys" I don't think I would have had time to chamber a round. Once, a guy came up behind me in a parking lot as I was my loading groceries. He needed directions how to get back to the freeway. I turned around and there he was, 2 feet from me. Another time, my wife and I were walking to our car in a movie theater parking lot. 2 girls jumped out from between two cars to scare us. They mistook us for the parents of one of the girls. Had they been "bad guys" the fight would have been on at very close quarters with no notice. In that case, just getting my gun out might have been difficult. Chambering a round would have added a whole new level of complexity.

I am sorry for the long post. I'll conclude with this: If you don't carry Condition 1, I still say "good for you" just for having a gun with you! However, your gun becomes so much more useful when you carry with a round in the chamber. Take a hard look at your situation and maybe reconsider you position.

My best wishes to us all!

+!�.. Perfectly stated

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Older Brother, who carries Condition 1 daily and has for years, put a hole in the floor of a car due to a thumb slip on a 1911."

CH...a "thumb slip"? That sounds like he was going from cocked to Condition II as in round in chamber with hammer down....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To no one in particular, I'm a bit more comfy with either my Kahr P-9 or P-45 ready to roar than I am with either of my Kimbers in condition 1..although both have the ambi-safety and I practice a lot with it, dry..

Those DAO P-series make it dang hard, nay - potentially impossible - to have an AD..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
+ Redneck, I didnt pay 1500 bucks for a damn club, pistolas need to pop ASAFP when ya need 'em.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about having the slide locked back so you can put a RIC by pushing the button down? I do this at night on my nightstand.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
To no one in particular, I'm a bit more comfy with either my Kahr P-9 or P-45 ready to roar than I am with either of my Kimbers in condition 1..although both have the ambi-safety and I practice a lot with it, dry..

Those DAO P-series make it dang hard, nay - potentially impossible - to have an AD..

For some reason, I was never comfortable with a 1911 cocked and locked either. Weather real or just perceived, the thought of an AD was always there. I am perfectly comfortable with other gun designs with a round in the chamber. There are many designs that make a chambered round just as safe as a round in a magazine.

I know to keep my finger off a trigger until ready to fire due to 35 years of safe gun handling. I also take particular caution when holstering a carry gun. With some holster designs, I will only holster when removed and then reattach the gun and holster as one unit. I will remove the same way for storage. I think a lot of AD takes place when holstering and clothing catches the trigger.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ConradCA
What about having the slide locked back so you can put a RIC by pushing the button down? I do this at night on my nightstand.

laugh, dats gonna be a bit noisy Amigo, stay silent and drill the first thing you see out of the ordinary.

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gunner500
+ Redneck, I didnt pay 1500 bucks for a damn club, pistolas need to pop ASAFP when ya need 'em.

Gunner
LMAO.. Well, I DID (at one time) pay nearly that for a mere pool cue..

(it was worth every cent, btw).. laugh laugh

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I know to keep my finger off a trigger until ready to fire due to 35 years of safe gun handling. I also take particular caution when holstering a carry gun. With some holster designs, I will only holster when removed and then reattach the gun and holster as one unit. I will remove the same way for storage. I think a lot of AD takes place when holstering and clothing catches the trigger.
I hear ya - and agree for sure..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hot, ready to defend.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
HMMMMMMMMMM, Fast Eddie Redneck, has a definite ring to it. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waders one of the best posts ever on the subject, nicely done sir.

it mostly comes down to training and confidence.

if a person is "worried" about having a hot chamber then they shouldn't have one

if a person feels confident enough in their abilities to carry hot then perhaps they should

we're talking dangerous tools here in a similar realm as chainsaws.

not knowing how to operate your tool sufficiently can have disastrous consequences

it really boils down to a man has to know his limitations

just because some guys that own a chainsaw shouldn't be felling trees in tricky locations doesn't mean they shouldn't own a chainsaw.

same applies for firearms in my experience

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO, carrying without a round in the chamber can be compared to carrying guns in not so well thought of cartridges like the .25acp or the .22lr. Not optimal by any means but light years ahead of a harsh language.

Being said, I was brought up to carry my hunting guns with a round in the chamber and the safety on. That's carried right over to my handgun less one exception....... On occasion and in times of extreme concealabilty needs a Raven .25 will find it's way into my pocket. That gun never ever see's a round in the chamber till it's time to pull the trigger. So I'm running with 3 strikes against me in that case. Bad gun, bad round and nothing in the pipe. Oh the humanity, how do I make it home?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
...just because some guys that own a chainsaw shouldn't be felling trees in tricky locations doesn't mean they shouldn't own a chainsaw.

same applies for firearms in my experience

.....but even the most pan-phobic, casper-milktoast lumberjack wouldn't fear keeping gasoline in the tank of his chainsaw while he's carrying it to the woods. Of course, I could be wrong.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pretty sure CA law says the fuel mix has to be in a separate container and kept in the trunk

poor damn friends of mine in CA, they got some goofy fing folks on the coasts and in their capitol

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bump, for the benefit of the latest thread on this topic.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Heck no ..... my round is in my shirt pocket.

Well...............you do live near Mayberry. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by logcutter
Just prove me wrong instead of just saying BS.......

You show charts about energy/momentum/penetration yada yada....Just show me why your method is faster in time instead of were just supposed to believe it....

I don't.....It doesn't' take anymore significant time to run the slide versus/cocking or thumbing the safety.

It is simple..Just prove me wrong...Not my word against yours..Prove it is faster your way....

I can't believe you said what you said about having your head beat in on concrete..Have you ever had that happen?

You can't is the fact because it's not....

Jayco
Zimmerman would have been dead or seriously brain damaged today if he carried his auto pistol with an empty chamber. No way in hell he'd have been able to save his life by racking the slide with Martin on top of him since his other hand was busy fighting off the attacker.
EVERYONE ought to know how to rack a slide one handed. And it should only slow things down by one second at the outside. I can do it in a second or less with my LW Commander which has a (i think) 20lb recoil spring; one of the hardest slides to rack I've ever had.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bumping this. The "What Do Clueful People Carry" thread has evolved to the point that this thread is worth reviewing.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,562
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.