Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was at my LGS yesterday and they had the new Federal Premium Copper loads in stock in both .338 Win 225 grain and .300 Win 180 grain. The bullet looks identical to the Barnes TTSX, except it has a black tip instead of a green one. It's supposed to be 100% copper with no gilding metal in the mix. If you still have time, worth a try.

The .338 Win 225 grain had a MV of 2,800 fps listed on the box. the .300 Win was listed at the usual 2,960 fps.

GB1

B
B
Be sure to get in some practice off-the-sticks before you go. Everyone has their own preferred technique, but I gasped the stick intersection point and rested the front forearm on the sticks - it was almost as steady as shooting off the bench.

FWIW - I've only made one trip, but I used 250gr Nosler Partitions in my Model 700 338 WM. One shot, DRT, kills on Impala and Blue Wildebeest. Shot my Zebra poorly and it took two shots. The bullets performed as designed. I used 450gr TSX in my 458 WM for buffalo and the bullet expanded and stayed together perfectly.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Really? A shot 2" out of a 1" group at 100 yards will be around 7" from point of aim out at 300. In many animals that would result in a hit about the diaphragm with a shoulder-crease hold.

A friend of mine who's an excellent, experienced game shot hunted in Tanzania with me a couple of years ago. He wounded one blue wildebeest at about 250 yards as it quartered toward him, and it was lost. It was sighted-in the day the safari started, but this was two weeks later, after bumping around a couple of hundred miles in a Toyota Land Cruiser. It turned his rifle was shooting two inches to the right, so instead of shooting the wildebeest in the shoulder joint the bullet had gone half a foot to the right, probably only going through one lung--which ain't enough on a wildebeest.

I agree and disagree. If a hunter knows their rifle is a 2 MOA gun then they need to take that into account. Aim to the middle of the forward half of a medium or large animal and it will die. Realize that with a 2 MOA killing isn't a Dead Right There thing. If your in an area at sundown tracking is going to be a bitch. As Dirty Harry well stated, " a man's got to know his limitations". Use some common sense and don't shoot when tracking and recovery is ridiculous. Finally it's better to stalk closer than 300 yards if your and your rifle are a 2 MOA combo.

But why turn a 1 MOA rifle into a 2 MOA rifle when there are so many good premium bullets around?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Barnes 168TTSX on my moose last year and my friend used a 165 Federal Premium Copper on his moose. Not only do they look the same loaded in a case, they look the same expanded when found in the moose. We each recovered one.

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nobody has asked but where are you are going in South Africa? Limpopo or Eastern Cape? What is a reasonable expectation of the length of your shots? Also, what does the FIRST shot do? I don't think you will get off three or four shots at an animal. Personally, I would take the Accubond and wouldn't look back. And if you take the TSX it probably won't make one bit of difference. Stalk closer; it is more fun anyhow.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RAC
Personally, I would take the Accubond and wouldn't look back. And if you take the TSX it probably won't make one bit of difference. Stalk closer; it is more fun anyhow.

Agree to all of that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 338reddog, 375sunrise, 35, 35WhelenNut, 264mag, 15 invisible), 924 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.