Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by SanCalPigHunter
I'm a grendel fan as well and own two but for hunting there really isn't a comparison. The 270AR handily beats it.

That's like saying a 30-06 is a much better killer than a 308. The guy who says this is either clueless and inexperienced at actual killing, or trying to sell something.

Well, since you brought it up (in no particular context) I'll bite. If your intended quarry requires 200+ grain bullets, then the venerable 06 has a marked advantage. But then WTF does Col Cooper know anyway? I guess he was a 308 "hater" wasn't he?

I spent a bit of time this year walking around on 6.8 brass that an oil-sheik paid for. Not at all impressed with the cartridge. The Grendel launches a great projectile...pathetically slow. The WSSM's have brass consistency/availability issues. I for one am glad someone is trying to finally produce a single-stack round that'll launch a 6mm (ideal, IMO) or larger bullet as close as possible to 3000fps out of a 20in barrel. I thank the gentleman for posting about it.

Rancho GFY.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm a grendel fan as well and own two but for hunting there really isn't a comparison. The 270AR handily beats it.

That's like saying a 30-06 is a much better killer than a 308. The guy who says this is either clueless and inexperienced at actual killing, or trying to sell something.

It WOULD be like saying that if you OWNED and SHOT BOTH of them.

This is like saying you have a 308 and read about this new thign called an 06 and it kills WAY better than the 308. But you dont' own one yet and so on.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495

It WOULD be like saying that if you OWNED and SHOT BOTH of them.

This is like saying you have a 308 and read about this new thign called an 06 and it kills WAY better than the 308. But you dont' own one yet and so on.

You're right, but anyone who has owned and killed with both would realize they are basically the same, especially when it comes down to deer sized game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but it ultimately depends on how many people you've killed and a stupid graph..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
"How many people have you killed?"

This is well past the JeffO level of stupid, and he bends the needle on the stupid meter.

No, it is what Limbaugh refers to as "Using absurdity to demonstrate the absurd". The "absurd" being your postulation that having killed a deer(s) had a [bleep] thing to do with the topic being discussed in this thread, which of course, happens to be a special talent your ignorant CA ass has in spades.

Awe I know this guy from a different forum where he uses a different handle and trolls there as well. Any time hunting with AR's comes up you can count the minutes before he jumps in and starts talking crap. I recognize his writing style.

crayons?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
but it ultimately depends on how many people you've killed and a stupid graph..

It depends on stupid alright, especially in your case, as you are quite stuck on it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Well, since you brought it up (in no particular context) I'll bite. If your intended quarry requires 200+ grain bullets, then the venerable 06 has a marked advantage. But then WTF does Col Cooper know anyway? I guess he was a 308 "hater" wasn't he?

I spent a bit of time this year walking around on 6.8 brass that an oil-sheik paid for. Not at all impressed with the cartridge. The Grendel launches a great projectile...pathetically slow. The WSSM's have brass consistency/availability issues. I for one am glad someone is trying to finally produce a single-stack round that'll launch a 6mm (ideal, IMO) or larger bullet as close as possible to 3000fps out of a 20in barrel. I thank the gentleman for posting about it.

Rancho GFY.

We aren't talking about heavy bullets and bears, we are discussing killing deer, remember?

How about that 7mm-08? Hard to take gun advice from a guy who bitched incessantly about how bad his rifle was, sold it, and with very little work became an awesome shooter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How about that 7mm-08? Hard to take gun advice from a guy who bitched incessantly about how bad his rifle was, sold it, and with very little work became an awesome shooter.

Rolling, here.. grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Rancho GFY.

We aren't talking about heavy bullets and bears, we are discussing killing deer, remember?

PG, FOAD mofo.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Rolling, here.. grin

Quite possibly in your own drool/bodily fluids, or it may not be that late yet in your AO, but maybe you got an early start?

IC B3

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Lets ignore the trolls and talk calibers and ballistics.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I agree. Why don't you address rost's post above that i quoted.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I think some of you guys went way off in left field. We are talking about ballistics and hitting power at various yardages. If you can't read a simple ballistic chart your in the wrong thread. You don't need any of these calibers or really need to have shot any of them to discuss a ballistic chart. If you think you do your in the wrong thread.

Last edited by SanCalPigHunter; 07/15/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think some of you guys went way off in left field. We are talking about ballistics and hitting power at various yardages. If you can't read a simple ballistic chart your in the wrong thread. You don't need any of these calibers or really need to have shot any of them to discuss a ballistic chart. If you think you do your in the wrong thread.

and has been pointed out claimed figures are often faster than real world figures, often cause they do all their testing for load work up in barrels longer than those found on production guns......so until someone actually puts the loads through a chrony from a production rifle its all speculation and the ballistic chart isnt worth the paper its not printed on.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

OK.

What velocities have you chronographed with the new cartridge? What barrel length, powder and COAL length did you use to attain that velocity?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When you shoot the new cartridge side by side with existing options how does the recoil compare? What buffer weight / spring combos have you tried? Is there a noticeable difference to the shooter in muzzle blast when compared to existing options, and what barrel lengths did you use to draw that conclusion?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Introducing a new cartridge and showing how it compares to other extant cartridges is one thing, allowing people to draw their own conclusions.

I've designed and had built a wildcat, and know for a fact that it didn't do anything existing cartridges already had well covered. I didn't go around harping on worthless ballistic charts (which mean diddly schit in the real world), claiming how much better my round was, especially before I had shot it.

Cartridges sometimes have issues, whether in feeding (as often happens with the minimum taper, sharp shouldered rounds) or with pressure spikes (such as with the 25 WSM). Until it's actually tested in the real world, it's just a theory.

People's problem with you is in part because you come on and say how much better your round is, without any real proof. Guys that have shot and killed a bit know how little difference there truly is between cartridges. They know how useless comparisons of Foot Pounds of Energy or whatever kind of made up rating system you can come up with matters in the real world.

If your proof of how much better a round is than another comes from a chart, I suggest you need to do a lot more shooting and killing. You need to test both in the field, not simply on paper. Otherwise, your proof is meaningless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is all kinda interesting. I've got the parts to build a 6.8 SPC, in fact both a Bison and a Daniel Defense barrel.

But fall is coming, and a higher priority is to see if I can get 130's up to 3200 fps, out of a newfangled 6.8 x 64 smirk

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by rattler

and has been pointed out claimed figures are often faster than real world figures, often cause they do all their testing for load work up in barrels longer than those found on production guns......so until someone actually puts the loads through a chrony from a production rifle its all speculation and the ballistic chart isnt worth the paper its not printed on.....

He's using a 20in and 18in barrels with a 1/11 twist to test.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The rounds double stack in the mag by the way and are not single stacked as someone said.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.