Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I work for an outfitter here in Wyoming and every year we do a trip into Yellowstone for a company and their employees out of Cody.

This year as I was at the trail head getting our horses ready two back country rangers (gun toters) and another guy show up. The rangers are headed into one of their cabins in the SE of the park. I watched them pack up and ride away and could tell they were green horse folks. Then I find out that indeed these guys are green as can be. And that many of the back country rangers have never sat astride a horse before.

These are the guys tasked, by the NPS, to patrol the back county and make sure that all the rules are followed. This includes rules for horses/mules.

Our camp in the park has been inspected many times but they usually come in by boat (campsite on the east shore of the lake). I've gone the rounds before with them when they try to come up with phony problems on our grazing in there. And they usually back down pretty quick on that. And now I know why, they don't know the first thing about stock.

So rest easy knowing that the back country of Yellowstone is being patrolled by pilgrims with smokey the bear hats and guns on their first horse.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm shocked.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm not.

Remember the yayhoos that wanted to board that old man's boat in the middle of the Yukon River?

Then after he beached the boat, they tossed him face-down and cuffed him.

That's what citizens get for safely cooperation.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Did anyone ever get tarred and feathered over that?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I work for an outfitter here in Wyoming and every year we do a trip into Yellowstone for a company and their employees out of Cody.

This year as I was at the trail head getting our horses ready two back country rangers (gun toters) and another guy show up. The rangers are headed into one of their cabins in the SE of the park. I watched them pack up and ride away and could tell they were green horse folks. Then I find out that indeed these guys are green as can be. And that many of the back country rangers have never sat astride a horse before.

These are the guys tasked, by the NPS, to patrol the back county and make sure that all the rules are followed. This includes rules for horses/mules.

Our camp in the park has been inspected many times but they usually come in by boat (campsite on the east shore of the lake). I've gone the rounds before with them when they try to come up with phony problems on our grazing in there. And they usually back down pretty quick on that. And now I know why, they don't know the first thing about stock.

So rest easy knowing that the back country of Yellowstone is being patrolled by pilgrims with smokey the bear hats and guns on their first horse.

Hire on then and show them how it's done.

Are those seasonal or permanent positions?

I don't know much about the NPS or their hiring practices, but I can tell you that the pool of horse experienced applicants for jobs I've worked is pretty damned small.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Did anyone ever get tarred and feathered over that?

Last I heard the JBTs were not only still working for the NPS, they are still in the YC Preserve.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
UPDATE!

Still on the job, in the same park doing the same sh,it!

http://www.ktva.com/home/outbound-x...ts-Arrests-in-Eagle---123644529.html?m=y

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
HA! yeah... I hear ya.

remember a horse can poop 6-12 times a day and remember to kick over all the piles....

I had an outfitter aquaintence fined for every pile not kicked over and spread out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
UPDATE!

Damn........I thought I had understood they were to be expunged to some other unfortunate part of the system (further south.) Oh well, easier to get lost in the wilds up here perhaps. wink

Perhaps it's time to send ol' Jimmy C. another thank you card,.....................................................

.... signed with bear scat of course! grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the management of wildlife and the backcountry were left up to outfitters there would be very little to no game, no grazing, and various other sundry details like water access not jacked up etc.

This is coming from someone who has worked in the backcountry for several outfitters. Yes, there are over zealous enforcers of the rules without a doubt. Some of them go beyond the pale in their actions. But make no mistake, there need to be rules in place so that the resources are there for all to enjoy and utilize, and if there are going to be rules, then there needs to be a mechanism for the rules to be enforced and poor bastards sent out to make sure that all are in compliance.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Federally protected lands in Alaska encompass more total land area than every other state with the exception of Texas and California. I can't argue that there isn't a need for regulation. However, heavy-handed confrontation has historically been quite ineffective for the feds in Alaska. One could argue that they who fail to learn aren't not stupid. The State seems to have a better understanding that education works much more effectively. But we have lands equivalent in size to an area larger than Montana under the management of the feds. Go figure. Chronic damage control is not part of a good recipe for neighborly coexistence.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
UPDATE!

Probably better get those idiots out of there before they get hurt.

I know they are doing the lords work and all, but it isn't worth getting shot over.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 56 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,584
Posts18,473,375
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.