Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Howdy folks. I recently began work with my first ever long range rig, its a Zastava Mark X in 6.5-284, 27 3/4 inch benchmark barrel, fluted, leupold 6.5-20 on top of it, in a boyds laminate stock, actually a pretty sharp looking piece. Anyway, I have been doing all of my development at 350 yds, and have a horizontal stringing issue. all bullets land within about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of each other vertically speaking at that distance, but horizontal is more like 4 inches or so, Any advice on how to fix this? bedding maybe?, how would I check?

Thanks
Nick

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd suggest it's bedding if it is not shooting technique

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
C
The big question is How much wind was present?
Even a mild breeze will widen the group at that distance

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
breeze was off and on maybe 3mph, but no more than that. I thought maybe shooting technique as well, but ruled that out by dropping 5 into about 2/3 at 100 with the .358 Yukon on the same day. I dont feel that I am recoil shy or anything like that, its a pretty mild recoiling rig, it has a longer than stanard firing pin travel, its even longer than a normal mauser, could this cause some horizontal, I dry fired it while looking through the scope at the target at that distance, and it doesnt appear to shake to that extent. Is there some way to shim the sides of the recoil lug to take up that space, or do I need to dremel some of the bedding out, and try again?

Last edited by RugerDude; 08/04/13.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a 30'06 that once bedded went from large groups to stringing them. I talked to a smith and he suggested a folded business card between the barrel and tip of the forend. Stringing went away. He bedded the last 2" of the barrel channel and fixed the issue completely.

I have used the folded card trick anytime I see it and 90% it cures it for the sub $1000 production rifles.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RugerDude

Is there some way to shim the sides of the recoil lug to take up that space, or do I need to dremel some of the bedding out, and try again?

I bought a used rifle that shot like that (VERY inexpensively).

I would suggest you get some Play-Dough & roll a few thin spaghetti-like strands to place at various places in the bedding to determine exactly what's up & where.

Mauser's usually shoot best with the rifle's metal touching the bedding ONLY at the rear face of the recoil lug (never at the sides or bottom), the bottom of the action flat to the rear of the lug, the underside of the rear tang (the rear tang face should have clearance from the bedding), the bottom 2-1/2" of the barrel rear (under the chamber/chamber reinforce), and at the tip of the forend (FE tip "up" pressure may vary, depending on bbl thickness/contour).

The rifle I bought for a song turned a 10" grouper into a 1/2MOA shooter after the bedding was adjusted - it seemed that some well-meaning individual had tightly bedded the action & recoil lug everywhere.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Rangr44
[quote=RugerDude]

The rifle I bought for a song turned a 10" grouper into a 1/2MOA shooter after the bedding was adjusted - it seemed that some well-meaning individual had tightly bedded the action & recoil lug everywhere.

This sounds like EXACTLY what i have going on. the action is bedded along the entire length and the lug is completely bedded. i may relieve the areas mentioned and see what happens.

Thanks a bunch
Nick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.