Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That would certainly have to be a top contender!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
And there I was staring down the muzzle of that rifle with seven rounds ready to go, and my boy quivering with excitement - finger tight on the trigger. Where's that bolt gun?"

H&R single shot....

Yep, and yep, and yep!

Hard to beat a CZ Scout for a youth-.22, or more fancy-advanced CZ .22 in a bolt gun. wink

My favorite .22 IS the Ruger 10/22!

But I know my pops was glad I didn't learn to shoot with a semi-auto. Still remember the [discussion]. crazy grin

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Dewayne ,and all thanks for such a nice post!
Lots to consider.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My kids shoot a Savage Rascal bolt action .22 (actually, I shoot it as we'll). The small stock allows them to hold it correctly.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Savage Rascal (formerly known as the Cub).

Have a 10/22 on standby.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Short story: A guy came into the store one Saturday morning and wanted to buy a 10-22 for his young lad. I tried rather strongly to dissuade him and to buy a bolt-action instead. But he insisted and went home with a nice Ruger.

Monday he was back, asking to trade the 10-22 on the bolt action I had recommended. I asked why.

"Well, I took him out Saturday afternoon for his first shooting lesson. On his third shot, he managed to hit the pop can I had set out, and he immediately swung around and yelled 'I hit it Dad!' And there I was staring down the muzzle of that rifle with seven rounds ready to go, and my boy quivering with excitement - finger tight on the trigger. Where's that bolt gun?"

Sounds like a really sharp kid.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A winnie 9422
my first gun and what i learned to shoot with. plenty of capacity, accurate, and the ability to shoot rapidly if need be.
Can also be properly maintained by a youth because the mechanism is simple.
OH and classy!
my old girl..
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wrote a piece once on this subject. Besides the bolt or other manually-worked action for safety and marksmanship, I recommended a low-power scope instead of iron sights.

Iron sights are hard to learn and hard to shoot, making for a discouraging and frustrating experience for a new shooter. Bad.

The average rifle shooter today will use a scope for 99.99% of ALL his shooting. Iron sights aren't even installed on most rifles, and are considered as emergency backups on rifles that do have them.

Scopes are instinctive, even for a kid. Put the cross on the target and squeeze. One focal plane and nothing to align even before you sight on the target.

Go with the instinctive, simple sight system that he'll use for the rest of his life. Get him a decent 4X scope.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Ruger 10/22.

Really poor choice for a new shooter. Semi-autos teach the old "keep shooting until the target falls or you run out of ammo" technique, instead of making each shot count. Plus, the factory trigger is pretty crappy.

I guess that is why they have only sold a gajillion of them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
And is a reason why we have a bunch of spray and pray shooters in this world.

A semi-auto for a first time shooter is a terrible idea.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
And that is the guns' fault?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A bad trigger and relatively inaccurate gun does not contribute to good shooting. Add in the safety factors already mentioned, and you have a poor choice for a new shooter. There are many better options out there. I like the 10/22 and other semi-autos, but not for a new shooter.

Let me guess, you bought your kid a 10/22 as a first gun, and you're trying to defend your purchase?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
FIRST guns in our family are single shots.
Even shot guns
My son's tiny plastic 22 is a tack driver.

I sent him to fetch a rifle one day and he returned with his..
no problem.
I dropped a woodchuck at 110 yards, stepped off, with it. It took two shots to get the wind, but the second was a solid head shot.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Your guess is wrong.

Rugers are not relatively inaccurate, ask all the small game taken with them.

YMMV, but when considering value, reliability, and accuracy they are hard to beat.

And they can function as a single shot. All you have to do is just load one bullet at a time.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rugers 10/22s are not particularly accurate in factory garb, especially in comparison to some of the match chambered bolt rifles out there (ala CZ). They lack match chambers - which makes for better feeding of a wide variety of ammo, at the detriment of accuracy. There is likely a model or two that are accurate, but your basic off the shelf sporter weight 10/22 isn't going to light matches at 50 yards. With some mods they can become wonderfully fun, but I've not been in the least bit impressed with the off shelf versions.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,584
Posts18,473,375
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.