Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Modest aren't you. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
A+ thread, gents.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
A+ thread, gents.

You should have been there................................putz grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by isaac
A+ thread, gents.

You should have been there................................putz grin

Yeah!

Next year, we'll have somebody chloroform you in Virginia, and when you wake-up out here, you'll know right-off thatcha ain't in Virginia � but you'll feel right at home.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken.....I like the way you think! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Clearly, me and Ben were photographing the same event grin

[Linked Image]

...but sometimes he took the time to shoot....

[Linked Image]

What is really unusual about this pic is that there is no labrador retriever visible anywhere in the photo grin

[Linked Image]

One of the coolest things about these gatherings; expertise is freely shared....

[Linked Image]

Ed giving it a go.... (I'm terrible with names, especially where most of have a name AND a handle, so apologies if I get any wrong)....

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That picture of Ben [Mudhen] is just as he is squeezing off the winning shot in the centerfire Pdog one shot contest.

WITH MY RIFLE! grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A word to the wise; never, EVER, get in a shooting match with a guy who can hit quarters that he threw in the air....

(and whoever was holding those coins likely was shooting a flintlock earlier in the day)

[Linked Image]

For example, this photo COULD be interpreted as Paladin winning a centerfire match with a .22 pistol while Ed complains to the ref.... grin

[Linked Image]

...and this MIGHT be the same pistolero demonstrating the art of hitting a target without actually looking at it.... grin

[Linked Image]

But I'm pretty sure this was when Paladin (again, apologies for my difficulty remembering names) took Gene's .41 mag Tracker and made the steel plates sing at 100+ yards cool

[Linked Image]

All in all a level of shooting skill that one reads about but rarely gets to witness cool

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That picture of Ben [Mudhen] is just as he is squeezing off the winning shot in the centerfire Pdog one shot contest.

WITH MY RIFLE! grin

"Ahem".... a good craftsman never takes credit for his tools (or something like that)

And speaking of prairie dogs, here's Miles judging the targets...

[Linked Image]

One of the funnier moments came during the prairie dog match when the officiating presence said "Name your target", to which the shooter replied "George?" (or something like that) grin

I had thought that only young guys actually sat on the ground to shoot, on account of they can get up again afterwards....

[Linked Image]

But here I am proven somewhat wrong....

[Linked Image]

I have always liked those "Buffalo Classic" H&R's in .45-70. If they didn't actually make 'em back then, well heck they should have.

Birdwatcher

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great thread born from what looks to be a great time!

kudos to you all, looks like a hoot!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some downrange pics. I believe Patrick in this one is shooting the rimfire match (??)

[Linked Image]

And this gentleman from Arizona (my name problem again), Dennis' buddy, shooting that .405 cannon....

[Linked Image]

Seen here shooting a centerfire match...

[Linked Image]

The targets can be seen way back in the trees.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For our own part we took the opportunity to field-test some of our re-enacting gear, being new to the pastime (thanks for the photo Ben).

For example, the small iron brazier we brung proved to be a disappointment, adequate for morning coffee but not for a serious bout of cooking.

[Linked Image]

That's a linen hunting frock, early Nineteenth Century correct, with a wool fingerwoven sash. The color of course is along the lines of camo as we imagine these guys to have been, but there's evidence that bright colors like red and white were actually favored back then. I bought the frock used from the guy who made it.

One thing this reenacting thing has taught me is that linen has it all over cotton; costs three times as much but its cooler in the heat, warmer in the cold, and it withstands wear better too.

The tin-lined copper cup came from Crazy Crow (made for them by Pakistan's finest). Plain ol' tin would have been more correct, but copper adds a touch of class and 32oz is hard to beat. I mean, at gatherings like this it is IMPORTANT to have the largest coffee cup in camp grin

The view of camp from our tent....

[Linked Image]

And our tent.... a 12' x 15' Sherwin-Williams 10oz canvas painter's drop cloth, washed and dried hot to shrink the weave denser, and dyed off-white by boiling it with old pecan husks.

[Linked Image]

Actually linen is the hot ticket for purists, and superior to cotton in this application as well. But it costs an arm and a leg (used to be commoner and cheaper than cotton in the US until the 1830's at least, but nowadays most of it comes from Eastern Europe).

Cotton IS appropriate for early Texas, grown in Mexico and commonly used for clothing and the tarps covering the carretas. A 10oz cotton drop cloth approximates in density original fabric from back then, and is both more period correct AND much cheaper than the various sunforger treated canvas period tents available.

Only problem is rain. Folks got wet a lot back then, just the way it was. Anyhoo the secret seems to be to pitch with a steep roof angle to help the water run off, based on period illustrations and paintings this was commonly down back then too.

It did rain during the night, fairly heavy at times, but the tent came through with flying colors. It did get wet and sag some....

[Linked Image]

But preserved an ample dry footprint nevertheless....

[Linked Image]

It kept us dry. Primitive I know but that's the point ennit? cool

Seriously, I'm finding that the artifacts of these old times bring a sort of tactile joy in use, and moving towards the simpler technology of an earlier time adds a whole nother level of relaxation to one's free time.

Birdwatcher

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very cool, BW! You might give this a try. Used the Diamond for several years on "trek in" events.

http://www.wizzywigweb.com/longshot/diamond.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
was alot of fun.....i shot Ed's(formerly Ken Howell's) 458, Paladin's 500 Linebaugh(light loads only though crazy ), tex n cal's 45-90 highwall and 300 Blackout(both awesome) and bccolorados 45 colt low wall(smoked steel with the first shot after Ed got it sighted in laugh )

but the best was the talking with everyone and Ed's informal class for me and several others on shooting our handguns.....going to practice and then track down Ed for another class laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So... What was "The Incident" ?
I read the entire post and either missed it or it wasn't mentioned.
I really like these get togethers. The one in Raton was very cool and seems like a very long time ago.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a Remington may or may not have gone off when the safety was taken off with no one touching the trigger.......and there may or may not have been alot of witnesses to the whole thing start to finish whistle but this can be neither confirmed nor denied wink

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Looks like a blast. Next one should be in Texas in March.. Graduation date from Tech school.. grin
I can show you guys how to shoot. whistle

Yes, no doubt you can show the gang some stuff - and some might even stop shooting, talking and eating long enought to watch your demo - but a fellow shouldn't count on that too much if he is self-impressed. This year most of the "showing" was really good - well taught by sharing type guys who also were very good with the young 'uns. I really enjoyed seeing that.

I hope that you can join the gathering sometime. The participants experience A LOT of shooting, a wide variety of firearms, and much enjoyment.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Some downrange pics. I believe Patrick in this one is shooting the rimfire match (??)

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

correct, that was me with the Ruger 77/22...which is a very accurate .22, just not sighted in for RWS rifle match ammo smile I would have been smarter to have just brought the Rem subsonic ammo, that was putting a hurt on coons last year. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the big deal? My Springfield A3-03 (280 Ackley) will go off if you take the safety off after pulling the trigger when the safety is on. It'll learn you to lift the bolt after pulling the trigger when it's on safe.
It sure gets your attention the first time it happens.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,808 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.