Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have never driven a vehicle powered by natural gas, but that being said, I have driven a few powered by propane.

They were all considerable underpowered compared to running on gas.

One was a GM pickup with a 350 CID engine. Had the power of a VW Beetle.

Is there a huge loss of horsepower with the CNG vehicles?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It amazes me that some will whine about importing oil with one breath, and bitch and complain about a potential alternative that could be 100% USA made.

I don't own a Ford. But you cannot argue that Ford has really been on the right track since Alan Mulally took over. They are making some really dependable vehicles these days, and they didn't have to get bailed out.

You bet your ass I'll give one a long hard look the next time I want to buy a vehicle. We should all at least give them props for trying to find a solution to foreign oil without trying to shove electric shoeboxes down out throats.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
OK, guys, the $1.84 EQUIVELANT is what natural gas costs vs Gasoline. It INCLUDES the equivelant highway taxes. My company pays something like $200 per vehicle per year for alternative fuel use in leu of per gallon tax on gasoline. This is figured in the cost of the gas. Natural gas has recently passed coal in production of electricity because of environmental reasons. It can cover 25% of vehicle use just in fleet vehicles only which would cut half the imported oil. We are fighting an uphill battle just to get compressor stations installed for quick fills. The oil companies don't want this at their stations. A quick fill station would cost about $100,000 to take street gas and compress it enough to fill vehicles. It is already being done at most natural gas companies, a lot of phone companies, a lot of garbage trucks, city busses, etc. The compressors are there, and sometimes the gas companies will help with the costs and there are tax credits also. It is just that oil companies are making money drilling and selling crude oil, making money transporting the oil or refined gasoline or diesel across country, and making money selling it at their local stations. They can't make as much buying the gas from the local utility, compressing it and reselling it. Not across the board. Feds aren't helping. Current crop of libs want electric cars. Technology just isn't there for quick charges. It is for natural. Problem is also, even with a quick fill station that we have, we can't fill but 4 vehicles at a time. We have about 25 vehicles. There are far more gasoline pumps available everywhere.

Wow and here I thought that the energy, I mean oil, companies were developing gas as well?

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/energy_outlook_sup_gas.aspx

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not to hi-jack this thread but here's some info from 2012 about the Ford/Westport combined technology for the F-250/F-350 series that run on either CNG or gasoline.

http://www.westport.com/news/2012/w...s-rolls-out-at-ntea-show-in-indianapolis

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The f150 is not a truck.

The f150 is a "pickup".

Got that?

F250 and f350 are trucks. I can haul 1/2 a ton in my car.

Last edited by Manic_Hunter; 08/13/13.

Here, hold my beer and watch this!
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where's Logcutter?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: Is Ford About to Build the Greatest Truck of Our Generation?

Ok, when do we get to read the punch line to the joke?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
An Aluminum body? Even the Brits and Italians gave up on that idiotic idea and on a truck? It will look like crap in six months with that thin skin.

When Audi introduced the A-8 sedan, they established 8 specialized body shops in the US that could handle the repair of aluminum monocoque construction (only 8!). If you were involved in an accident that damaged the body structure (not fenders or door panels), the car had to be shipped to one of these repair centers for repair. It might take a month for the car to return and the insurance companies were NOT thrilled at the expense!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Standard F250 and F350s are pickups too as far as I am concerned.

Trucks start out at about the F450/Dodge 4500 area and really take off when you get about to the F800 dump truck level.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I read an article a while back that GE was working on making a home refueling station for ~$500. It wouldn't be a fast refueling station, but it would work for commuting.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
OK, guys, the $1.84 EQUIVELANT is what natural gas costs vs Gasoline. It INCLUDES the equivelant highway taxes. My company pays something like $200 per vehicle per year for alternative fuel use in leu of per gallon tax on gasoline. This is figured in the cost of the gas. Natural gas has recently passed coal in production of electricity because of environmental reasons. It can cover 25% of vehicle use just in fleet vehicles only which would cut half the imported oil. We are fighting an uphill battle just to get compressor stations installed for quick fills. The oil companies don't want this at their stations. A quick fill station would cost about $100,000 to take street gas and compress it enough to fill vehicles. It is already being done at most natural gas companies, a lot of phone companies, a lot of garbage trucks, city busses, etc. The compressors are there, and sometimes the gas companies will help with the costs and there are tax credits also. It is just that oil companies are making money drilling and selling crude oil, making money transporting the oil or refined gasoline or diesel across country, and making money selling it at their local stations. They can't make as much buying the gas from the local utility, compressing it and reselling it. Not across the board. Feds aren't helping. Current crop of libs want electric cars. Technology just isn't there for quick charges. It is for natural. Problem is also, even with a quick fill station that we have, we can't fill but 4 vehicles at a time. We have about 25 vehicles. There are far more gasoline pumps available everywhere.

The oil companies are producing LOTS of gas right now. Some of them don't even want to because the price of NG is low. Of course they are producing oil, and want to produce more of it, but in the majority of wells, NG is coincidental to the oil. There are lots of areas that contain MOSTLY NG that are not being drilled right now because the cost to bring a well into production is not as profitable as oil.

Oil is definitely the game right now, but the oil companies are struggling with what to do with the NG. Could be, they will add fill stations if demand as a MV fuel increases.

There is a good chance it will become more popular as a motor vehicle fuel, and demand will rise. If it does, you can bet a national company like say WalMart for example will add a fill station to the thousands of stores throughout the U.S. When they do, they can kinda charge a premium to recoup costs of the installation on the fill station.

Remember when diesel was so much cheaper than gasoline, and everyone thought it was a good idea to get a pickup that burns diesel? If you get a NG vehicle, enjoy the "cheap" while you can. Eventually it will play catch-up.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny what everybody thinks they know. Most all of your over the road trucks are made of aluminum. All those old Pete's and Kw's have aluminum cabs and sleepers. They seem to hold up pretty good. If you call a couple million miles good. They are now going to a lot of plastic and other exotic materials like laminated balsa floors in the KW T2000's and T700's. Most panels are now glued on the newer models like the T700 and T680's. Older styles are still aluminum and huck bolted though. So I would think that if it works on the big rigs what we can dish out in a F150 wont be a problem.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Standard F250 and F350s are pickups too as far as I am concerned.

Trucks start out at about the F450/Dodge 4500 area and really take off when you get about to the F800 dump truck level.

Everyone has their opinion on where "Trucks" start and "Pick-ups" end.

Most of the manufacturers call them all "Trucks" now, and have for awhile.

The Government regulations and CAFE (Corporate Avg. Fuel Economy) end at 8500 GVWR and above.
What CAFE is in a nutshell, is the govt. has standards and regulations of what a motor vehicle manufacturer score as avg. MPG of all passenger vehicles they sell... Say the govt. reg. says they all have to have a CAFE of 19 MPG on 2013 models...

The "heavy duty" trucks that are over 8500 GVWR are exempt from this regulation. That is why on the window sticker of a 3/4 ton and above, there are no govt. mileage comparison ratings displayed.

So, for all practical purposes, "Trucks" start at 3/4 ton and above.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I do like ford trucks, but a natural gas engine might be difficult to find fuel for no?

http://www.pickensplan.com/ngv/

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Much hype about nothing really. Ford has had commercial truck running on propane for an long time, and an aluminum is an poor choice for an body skin.

Long time ago Ford alread had poly body panels and I believe they were an soy based product. Henry Ford has an film of him hitting an fender with an sledgehammer and it just bounces off. That was an long time ago.

Why the heck can we have Glocks, XD, M&P, and HK pistols that have polmyer frames and can go to hell and back, yet the same weight saving tech cannot be applied to auto bodies. Polymyer would be an LOT less expensive than aluminum and the parts on an vehicle could be modular and snap and bolt on.

The auto industry is backward thinking and really not much progress and innovation is taking place. Poly bodies panels would not corrode and repairs would be easy and one can also have weight savings. Maybe Gaston Glock should build up an car company.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Unless it has Toyota in the name, no way could it be a good truck. By the way, Ford, brought to you by Mexico and Canada.

LOL! When did toyota start to build a truck? A toyota is nothing more than a sorry little grocery getting, mall shopping POS.

By the way, toyota is brought to you by Japan.

My Super Duty came from Louisville, KY. USA.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
An Aluminum body? Even the Brits and Italians gave up on that idiotic idea and on a truck? It will look like crap in six months with that thin skin.

Ford built the Sterling gravel truck avail with a alum cab and doors ,fiberglass hood ,stands up pretty well ,but don't have an accident with it unless they replace parts that are alum.

been out for 11-12 years now

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Unless it has Toyota in the name, no way could it be a good truck. By the way, Ford, brought to you by Mexico and Canada.

LOL! When did toyota start to build a truck? A toyota is nothing more than a sorry little grocery getting, mall shopping POS.

By the way, toyota is brought to you by Japan.

My Super Duty came from Louisville, KY. USA.

Hardly.

[Linked Image]
Toyota Landcruiser

Fords are considered to be towny toys that do not stand up to abuse...there are several in town that are diesel and they are owned by posers that do not go off the bitumen...oh wait, you don't get the diesel Fords...or diesel Landcruisers...or any or the other big diesels on offer.

Must really SUCK to be so uninformed!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now that I have that bile and spite out of my system...why is it that you fellows do not have more diesel 4x4's?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,996
Posts18,520,320
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.