-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike; Three sotol stalks bound together would make a good walking staff.

Make one for Ms. Matilda as well and you have a couple tripods for your tent once you arrive at your destination.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great idea cool

Ya know Gene, I'm about ready to concede that you might have a special knowledge of Texas after all...... grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner

As to AD's and Remingtons....I've seen it first hand.

and with Mini Mk X's and any other rifle where something gets loose or out of adjustment........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I didn't need to see Mike's canvas outfit... been researching and formulating design ideas for a tripod structure. I didn't know that cotton like wood swells naturally when wet to keep water out.

Cool stuff Mike.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Could very well be. A 700 is the only gun I have ever owned that released the firing pin when the safety was taken off.

Kinda startling.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by krp
I didn't need to see Mike's canvas outfit... been researching and formulating design ideas for a tripod structure. I didn't know that cotton like wood swells naturally when wet to keep water out.

Cool stuff Mike.

Kent

Sunforger canvas has been on the market for several years. It's fibers swelling quickly when wet was one of it's marketable attributes. I have a Wall made from the stuff. Haven't been wet yet!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
� The Hornady DGX shot much better than the cast bullet load. Looks like I need a different mould.

Very often, cast bullets shoot better straight from the mould (SFM) � lubricated, of course, but not sized. Consider giving that a try before you give-up on your mould.

Make yourself what Ideal used to call a "Kake Kutter" � bore the end out of a fired but unsized .45-70 case. (When I made mine years ago, I left the head of the .45-70 case intact and drilled it for a thumb-operated plunger to expel each bullet out the mouth. With the old Lyman "Kake Kutter," the procedure was to push each bullet on through with the next ones that you cut out of the lube. I also "over-chamfered" the mouth of the case inside and outside to give it a cutting edge.)

Stand your bullets base-down in a cake pan, pour melted lube around 'em deep enough to fill the grooves, let it harden, then "cookie-cut" the bullets out of the lube cake, load 'em, and shoot 'em.

Whether it's all worth the extra trouble, only you can decide. Often, it is.

The cast bullets I shot this weekend were purchased. They were LBT style and don't feed very good either but they were the ONLY thing available. I have since purchased lead pot, press, dies,lube and ready to experiment.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by MadMooner

As to AD's and Remingtons....I've seen it first hand.

and with Mini Mk X's and any other rifle where something gets loose or out of adjustment........

eh76, I agree with your "loose or out of adjustment" comment and other rifles. However, neither was the cause of the safety event this time. Inspection on the bench that evening showed the mechanism to be clean as a whistle with no looseness or undue tolerances, and factory setting untouched. Just one more example of the need for muzzle control.

Birdwatcher - that one had never before done such a thing. I don't know whether or not the "bolt-close-fire" rifle had ever done so before.

I'm just glad those didn't cause secondary problems, and am yet better informed.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's really strange is the fact that the incident was probably intended to be kept in Quemada. Almost ironic considering your last post.

The intent was to not open up this particular can of worms. If you look at the sticky, it takes a life of its own. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
What's really strange is the fact that the incident was probably intended to be kept in Quemada. Almost ironic considering your last post.

The intent was to not open up this particular can of worms. If you look at the sticky, it takes a life of its own. miles

+++++ regarding Miles comment ... and, I'm done with it here. Too much already.

Let's focus on the gathering and the great folks there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Word.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PW I really DO think that Mack of yours needs a thread all on its own.

I am a sucker for old big rigs. My grandfather owned a couple of full service garage/gas stations back in upstate NY, and also had a wrecker service. He was the first Firestone tire dealer in upstate NY. At the high point I think he had 12 big GMC C.O.E. wreckers.
He was down to one station by the time I was born, and the wrecker service was gone. He still kept one of the trucks and another was converted to a dump truck for my Dad's business. I used to love crawling around playing in those things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The swapping of stuff you have extra for stuff you need is just a bonus to the fellowship enjoyed by all.

With reloading components being in short supply, it was especially helpful this year. I've now got enough 120 gr. NP's to last me a few more seasons, and I got rid of stuff that I was never gonna use, but too valuable to throw away.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Next year I shall join this parade! Looks like a grand group.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, for Tom, Mooner, iron and guys interested in the old Mack, I will get together the info and some other good photos and post it up. I am not interested in wide attention or a flood of comment, but very much appreciate your interest. So, I may just make it a PM thread for you and anyone else who asks to be included.

It's a little busy here and through the weekend - will try to get it going eary next week. Here's a teaser or two taken after a 500+ mile run on the day I drove it in here - bug splats and all:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks PW I appreciate it. I'll be looking forward to it whenever you have the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
What's really strange is the fact that the incident was probably intended to be kept in Quemada.

Not seeing any conspiracy here, maybe more along the lines of not blowing anything out of proportion without being sure of all the facts. �

Excellent point!

Let's pray for the coming of that blessed time when distant Campfarts who don't know the facts of a situation keep their ignorance-ridden and judgemental opinions to themselves.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by CCCC
OK, for Tom, Mooner, iron and guys interested in the old Mack, I will get together the info and some other good photos and post it up. I am not interested in wide attention or a flood of comment, but very much appreciate your interest. So, I may just make it a PM thread for you and anyone else who asks to be included.

I'd like to be included on the PM thread. I shared the pictures I took of the Mack (page two/#7976036 of this thread) with my 94 year old father-in-law last night. He's a real automotive enthusiast and has a real clean 1941 Chevy business coupe sitting in the garage. He said those were the best pictures of all that I'd taken and wanted to see more and know more about the truck!!

He really enjoyed seeing Mike/Bird Watcher's ornate flinter rifle. However I had to explain to him that it was a re-pro but that likely they did make them that ornate back in the day.

He also enjoyed the closeup pictures I took of Blu's awesome vintage Hepburn. He just loves vintage items that were made with great design and craftsmanship, as do I.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Thanks PW I appreciate it. I'll be looking forward to it whenever you have the time.

Dittos. At your convenience. PM thread is fine with me.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Thanks 4C! Lookin' forward to it.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 29 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,535
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.