Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
� CCCC- that is a beautiful truck! Count me in as looking forward to more pics and stories regarding same. �

Well, this thread sure veered right off the cliff in a hurry, didn't it? grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So who won the various "shoots"? Any details on how those went?
Dennis it looks like you out did yourself getting that together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom - I'm forgettin' most details, but I know that Ben (mudhen) won the centerfire PD shoot at 150 yards - maybe with a borrowed rifle. Blue (rio7) won the Big Bore shoot on steel - that was 150 yards, too, I think.

The rimfire PD shoot at 75 yards was first and so much has happened since then that I forget who won.

Dennis can tell you who won that open shoot (no bench) across the way where he spent hours (with some nice help) setting up all of those different sized steels at differing distances. That was a special deal. By the time I got time to be over there the formal shoot had ended. I was down to one appropriate rifle (22/250) and two rounds, so I hit 2 steels (easier ones) just to see what it was all about. Fun stuff.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� CCCC- that is a beautiful truck! Count me in as looking forward to more pics and stories regarding same. �

Well, life can be unpredictable. But, if we are going to veer for a minute, at least it's about old trucks - that's not a bad veer.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
finally found a place to log on and read all the comments,happy everyone got home ok,glad to hear marks shoulder wasnt as bad as expected,i spent a couple of days in las vegas,nev. and cleaned up and organized all my stuff, and was suprised to find i didnt shoot much, 5 rounds of .405,i shot 3 rds of 38-55 others shot 18 rds of 38-55 out of the hepburn i shot 7 rds of .308 at dennis's range.gave the .22 shooters a brick of .22, dont know why but never got a chance to shoot any of 4 pistols i brought, david, fixed my .45 kimber for me, after ed, checked it out. i did shoot 7 rds of .204 at warm up for p-dog shoot then my r-15 went tits up, and a whole group of people jumped in and fixed it. but i didnt get to shoot it.but i feel like i spent a week at the range, my ears are still ringing, every time i took my muffs off so i could talk to someone a cannon would go off. all that said, i had a hell of a good time!met some great people and watched some great shooting, and everyone was helping each other, and i saw a lot of smileing faces. what a great time, thanks to everyone.rio7

IC B2

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did use a borrowed rifle, a stainless synthetic Ruger Hawkeye chambered in .204 Ruger that lives with Gene (curdog 4570). Mic McPherson spotted for me and we got the rifle zeroed with the expenditure of only three rounds.

Thanks, again, Gene! Loved the little rifle and I have one on my wish list, now.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations Ben!
That is cool stuff!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC

Well, life can be unpredictable. But, if we are going to veer for a minute, at least it's about old trucks - that's not a bad veer.

If it's PM, I want in.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Next year I shall join this parade! Looks like a grand group.

Brother Dan, it'll be great to see you again!

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The rimfire PD shoot at 75 yards was first and so much has happened since then that I forget who won.

I think that it was Mic, then Mudhen and then Dennis, but I am not positive about that. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by eh76

As to AD's and Remingtons....I've seen it first hand.

and with Mini Mk X's and any other rifle where something gets loose or out of adjustment........

eh76, I agree with your "loose or out of adjustment" comment and other rifles. However, neither was the cause of the safety event this time. Inspection on the bench that evening showed the mechanism to be clean as a whistle with no looseness or undue tolerances, and factory setting untouched. Just one more example of the need for muzzle control.

Birdwatcher - that one had never before done such a thing. I don't know whether or not the "bolt-close-fire" rifle had ever done so before.

I'm just glad those didn't cause secondary problems, and am yet better informed.

Owned and shot 700's for 40+ years...only guns I have had do that were not 700's

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton

I think that it was Mic, then Mudhen and then Dennis, but I am not positive about that. miles
I was 3rd with a 10/22 takedown laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
I was 3rd with a 10/22 takedown laugh

That was a neat rifle--regardless!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My 700 did it twice both times on an empty chamber. I will only hunt with it with an empty chamber even though I have changed the trigger.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
My 700 did it twice both times on an empty chamber. I will only hunt with it with an empty chamber even though I have changed the trigger.

My ultra-fancy custom single-shot Nesika .220 Howell has a Remington 700 trigger with the Remington safety removed (by careful intent).

The shooter is the "safety." No round goes into the chamber (or the bolt closed) until the rifle is pointed at the intended target and the shooter is about to shoot. (It's a varmint rifle, so � )

"Good enough" isn't.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott F

My ultra-fancy custom single-shot Nesika .220 Howell has a Remington 700 trigger with the Remington safety removed (by careful intent).

The shooter is the "safety." No round goes into the chamber (or the bolt closed) until the rifle is pointed at the intended target and the shooter is about to shoot. (It's a varmint rifle, so � )

i was sitting here reading this about the remington, and i got to thinking about the remington 660 in 350rem mag i have been working up. One of the first things i found out after buying the rifle was remington had a recall years ago because of it firing while the safety was moved. I replaced the whole fire control group with a timney. Then i got to thinking that i have been firing remingtons since at least since the 70's and have never had this happen. Then I got to thinking of Dr. Howell's remarks. Come to think of it I have never used the safety on any of them, prefering to leave the chamber empty until ready to fire. If i am not ready to fire, the chamber is emptied. I guess that is one way to avoid the problem. And come to think of it, it's the same thing on other rifles too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't need to see Mike's canvas outfit... been researching and formulating design ideas for a tripod structure. I didn't know that cotton like wood swells naturally when wet to keep water out.

Cool stuff Mike.

Kent, I was simply blown away by the amount of prep time and probable expense yourself and others put into this event. Rolling in late and leaving early as we did, me and the missus had very little to do but enjoy the gathering. I hope to get to help more next year.

On the reenacting thing, to give some background I would say it really took off in the 70's with the Jeremiah Johnson generation. Over the years though research has steadily improved such that what was common thirty and forty years ago would be considered hopelessly "farb" today. The rise of the internet and the free exchange of information has accelerated this process by a quantum leap.

Specific to tents, somehow I have lost and cannot find again a really good link to a War Department report from the 1840's. What had been happening in prior decades was that cotton production had been taking off in the South, and cloth manufacturing taking off in New England, such that by then cotton duck had become cheaper than linen.

The report evaluated the performance of cotton as tentage and wagon tarps and found that while cheaper and lighter, cotton rotted more easily, shrank and swelled excessively, and wasn't as strong. The point of this being that, by 1840, cotton duck was still a new thing. During the decades of the Santa Fe trail, as best I can determine American wagons were hauling thousands of pounds of printed cotton fabric for trade in New Mexico, but were using linen tarps to cover those wagons.

Prior to 1840 linen tents and tarps are far more correct. Most everybody knows this nowadays, and Panther Primitives will even make you a linen tent or tarp at a considerable premium when they can get the fabric, but cotton is still an accepted re-enactorism. As stated earlier, cotton is a bit more period-correct in Texas because the Mexicans had long been using it.

Anyhow, the last word in period correctness is probably one of these; a simple, hand-sewn linen tent. You can park this ANYWHERE and out-cool just about everyone, but IIRC, the materials alone cost nearly $400. It does give a pretty good idea of what common tents back then actually looked like all the way through the Fur Trade era.

http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewt...mp;p=390653&hilit=linen+tent#p390653

[Linked Image]

A lot easier in time and trouble just to go with a plain old cotton painter's tarp.

Here's a link to a thread I posted about my tent set-up over on a muzzleloading board...

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/281937/

...and a good link a guy provided on that thread specifically on pitching 12'x15' tarps as tents using just one or two poles

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/f...post/556124/hl/tent/fromsearch/1/#556124

If the above links don't work (the guy who runs that forum is funny about that) google on this and it will bring them right up.....

Sherwyn-Williams tarp in action

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Your wife was invaluable cooking, tell her thank you again.

The setup in your second link with the wood poles were close to my idea using aspen poles.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the other end of the continuum was the pair of Ohio hunters whom I guided for elk high in the Sapphires.

Long ago, old-time outdoorsmen water-proofed cotton tents and tarps with paraffin dissolved in naphtha ("white gas").

One of these hunters had one of those abominable old Army air-tight nylon tents with the entrance and vent tubes, and he'd soaked it in the paraffin-naphtha solution. (And overdid that to boot, I thought.) It was heavy, stiff, and cold. Weighed a ton and was Chinese torture to set-up. But my cozy lean-to was too "primitive" for them.

I slept under a huge tarp lean-to, on two bales of straw spread-out on the ground, with a home-made drum stove out in front of it. Very good night in sub-zero cold!

Their breaths condensed on the walls of that nylon-paraffin abomination, and they spent a night of self-inflicted torture in a puddle that soaked their sleeping bags. Took 'em quite a while to get warm the next morning. Sopping-wet down doesn't retain body heat very well!

"Good enough" isn't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This was my third 'Fire gathering and it was, again, great. It's just a treat to hang out and shoot with so many kindred spirits. Many thanks to Dennis, Kent and, of course, Paul.

If any of you folks are on the fence about going to one of these shindigs, do it. It will be one of the most fun weekends you've had lately.

Diesel heads -- if you like the outside of that semi, you should have seen the inside --- E-Mack-U-Let.

Did I mention the hundred head of elk Dennis and I saw the morning we set up the range? It was Shooters Beware as the competitors tried to dodge piles ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,543
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.