Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Again, I love to see the pix and be able to associate handles with them. Thanks from the sideliners of this years fest. I do hope someday to make it. I will continue to read this thread.

Be safe
Patty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patty - this gang would be pleased to meet you.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patty, look ahead to the development (I hope!) of a similar shindig in east Texas. Many of the same crowd would most assuredly be there, plus a few good sorts from the East who just can't (for one nasty reason or another) make it this far from home for just a week-end.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I wish we had had a video camera running the whole time. Moments like............. Dave's (Paladin) prowess with big-bore handguns at long range and the many coins he shot out of the air with his Mod 41 S&W (souvenirs for the kids grin )............ .

Great memories!

Ed

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A word to the wise; never, EVER, get in a shooting match with a guy who can hit quarters that he threw in the air....

[Linked Image]

All in all a level of shooting skill that one reads about but rarely gets to witness cool

Birdwatcher

Sooo true what Mike/Birdwatcher summarized above about Dave/Paladin's shooting skills!! His skill was certainly entertaining....... guess I'm just a big kid at heart as I got some great souvenirs!! The four quarters that Mike/Birdwatcher posted a picture of were ones that I'd watched David shoot out of the air. Unfortunately I lost the quarter with the good edge hit in the packing up/unpacking process.....here are some close up pictures of the three remaining quarters;

The best centered hit(actually this quarter was thrown and hit twice as there is a nick hit on the edge);
[Linked Image]

Comparison front and back;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave was getting a lot of practice shooting the quarters and ask if I had a dime as he was going to try shooting that also. A dime is about 3/4 the size of a quarter so that definitely upped the challenge/skill level!! In his attempts to hit the dime he got one really good hit that just launched way way up and was never found when it came back down........a number of us observers went out searching for it but to no avail. On Sunday morning, after a good night's rain, I went back out to that shooting area determined to find that damn dime!! I spent a fair amount of time doing the "needle in the haystack" or "dime in a forest of pine needles" search. Walked a grid pattern over quite a bit of the area out there. Finally as I was close to giving up I saw a glint from the early morning sun and discovered the missing dime!! I was thrilled to find it and also amazed at how the dime had shrapnel-ed out from the impact. I showed it to Dave and he'd never seen one do that before and that the well hit ones that launch out that high usually had a good hole in them. . I'd have loved to have had a dime with the hole as perfect as the first quarter pictured however just finding this one made my day!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of four items for size comparison.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/XPLRN/2013/Quemato%202013/IMG_0417_zps4650d5ad.jpg[/img]

1. Golf ball = 1.675" in diameter (there was a string of them hung up @ the shooting area IIRC).

2. Quarter = .953" diameter.

3. Dime = .704" diameter.

4. .22 cartridge @ rim = .271" diameter.

In talking with Dave he mentioned that he used to throw .22 cartridges into the air and shoot the base of the cartridge which would provide positive proof of the hit thru detonation. Yes, I was amazed at the skill involved to acquire and hit something the size of a quarter/dime/.22 cartridge falling at the speed of gravity. Dave mentioned he'd spent 3+ decades acquiring that skill level but doesn't really do it much any more and that this was the most coin shooting he'd done in the past year or more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is pretty amazing shooting. Wish I had been there to see that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if you saw him shoot the golf ball thrown in the air using my 41 mag Tracker. That thing must have gone a hundred feet at least, straight up.

It has a very small hole all the way thru it. David saiod the old golf balls would "explode", but the newer ones hold together.

Does anyone know who was responsible for the tamales Sat. nite? Damn, they were good.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Pretty dang cool!

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Don't know if you saw him shoot the golf ball thrown in the air using my 41 mag Tracker. That thing must have gone a hundred feet at least, straight up.

It has a very small hole all the way thru it. David saiod the old golf balls would "explode", but the newer ones hold together.

Nope, didn't get to see that shot, sure wish I would have!! Do you still have that golf ball as a memento of what your .41 is capable of!!???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course, as well as the two quarters he shot for my Grandkids. One in front of the face and the other behind the head so they could tell them apart.

Here is the golf ball:

[Linked Image]

He hit it off center with his first shot resulting in the groove you see. Next shot he hit it dead on.

Now............ about them tamales? grin

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
David brought the tamales from El Paso as well as shot the quarters.

Someone asked... who brought the fish?... Gene... well who brought the fryer?... Gene... well who smoked the pipe?... Gene... well who lost their two lower teeth at the rodeo? Gene...

Seems you were 4 of the 42 folks just by yourself...

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I had about forgotten what GOOD tamales taste like.

And... lest someone think I claim cowboy status, I lost the front teeth at the rodeo DANCE, not the rodeo.grin

I still can't get over what a good job you and Keith did cooking them fish. Given your locations, you ain't S'POSED to be that good.

Did I tell you that almost all the catfish came from ONE fish? And I didn't bring all of it.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
We've been known to catch a fish or two... LOL

That flathead was muy bien amigo... muy bien...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dig that ironing board fillet station. That looks dang handy.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
We've gang filleted 300 crappie from one morning fishing and 6 boats at fish camp... an ironing board is just the right height to not have to stoop and get a backache... something we learned years ago.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Anyway, Keith cooked the fish and gets all the kudos.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
We've gang filleted 300 crappie from one morning fishing and 6 boats at fish camp... an ironing board is just the right height to not have to stoop and get a backache... something we learned years ago.

Kent

Yeah that is slick. Not to mention that it will fold down super flat.
Guess who might be gluing some laminate on his ironing board this weekend?...
grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few days before I left for Quemado this time a neighbor brought over some fileted crappie. I ate two meals out of them and had quite a few left so I tried something new. I laid the filets out on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap, and froze them for a while and then dipped them in nearly freezing water. That water froze immediately and I put them on another cookie sheet until the ice was dry, then put them in a freezer bag. It turned out looking like bought frozen catfish and I will be able to take out as many frozen filets as I need without any hassle. I won't know until later how they keep. Probably won't last too long anyway. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Miles, here's my normal recipe at home...

Soak in buttermilk no longer than one hour, dry on paper towel then dip in thin pancake batter, roll in bread crumbs, cracker, chips, whatever... deep fry.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm interested in hearing how it works out. Seems to me that crappie lose their flavor in the freezer quicker than any other fish I catch.

I believe it does help to freeze 'em as soon as you've cleaned them, rather than keeping in the 'fridge a day or two.

A friend who raised catfish told me that in the processing, the fish goes from alive and wiggling to being a pair of frozen filets in less than 3 minutes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that crappie lose their flavor in the freezer quicker than any other fish I catch.

I expect that this will not be a good test because they will not be in the freezer long enough. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 7887mm08, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,149
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.