T
This one!
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I wouldn't spend $10K on a rifle. I'd spend it on a horseback moose hunt in BC or Yukon.

Pretty good advice, I took a $500 rifle, a Ruger M77 RS 35 Whelen, on a $10,000+ horseback hunt in northern BC and had the trip of a lifetime. I will head up there again in a few years. Nothing compares.

Yup .... Most of us here have a whole safe full of guns. One more won't make much difference, but a trip of a life time is a whole nuther kettle of fish.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Remington Model 7 MS Custom Shop 6mm Remington.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
This one!
[Linked Image]

What is that baby? Looks like a critter getter.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is left-handed Ruger Hawkeye in 308Win w/ Leup FXIII 6x42 and McMillan stock.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Someone bought it off auction arms before I saw it. Georgeous Sako AIII in 308 Norma mag. Bout a week ago. Just one of them. Now called Gun Auction.

Last edited by sidepass; 08/16/13. Reason: Name change

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I wouldn't spend $10K on a rifle. I'd spend it on a horseback moose hunt in BC or Yukon.

Pretty good advice, I took a $500 rifle, a Ruger M77 RS 35 Whelen, on a $10,000+ horseback hunt in northern BC and had the trip of a lifetime. I will head up there again in a few years. Nothing compares.

Not for me thank you, I worked cattle from horseback when I was a lad in Queensland and so far as I am concerned horses make good dog meat.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
This one!
[Linked Image]

What is that baby? Looks like a critter getter.

It's my Campfire Mountain rifle, done for me by the great folks on this site as one of the Veteran project. It's a M700LA with a 7x57 mountain profile tube, cerakoted and all the gunsmithing done by Sawtooth Rifles. It wears a VX2 2-7x in LW talleys. Thing shoots all bullet weights to dang near the same point of aim and tips the scale at under 7 lbs.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by EdM

Not for me thank you, I worked cattle from horseback when I was a lad in Queensland and so far as I am concerned horses make good dog meat.

Horses make pretty good steaks too.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A brand new Savage 99 in 250-3000(1/10). It would need to be a take down model with a switch barrels in something like a 358 and 22-250.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A pack-in Moose hunt here in BC should NOT cost 10K, unless you go for both Moose and Elk, or, perhaps RM Goat.

If, you are careful about your various ancillary costs, such a hunt for a North American resident who drives to BC should not run more than about $7-8K and many are considerably less.

For Moose, specifically, I would not bother with the horse hunts, there are other ways of doing this and some research WITH the various "Guide-Outfitters" can result in obtaining the current info. that is required to accomplish this in a satisfactory manner.

Again, you MUST contact the OUTFITTERS to find the best hunts and even some seasonal deals as the average BC resident hunter will not have the up-to-date info, you will require. Just a suggestion.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by viking
A brand new Savage 99 in 250-3000(1/10). It would need to be a take down model with a switch barrels

That's a great idea, I could really enjoy a Sauer 202 with switch barrels in 30-06 and 25-06.

From a 10k fantasy budget I would still have enough change to get a hair cut, take my wife to a show, and go on an expensive whitetail hunt in Alberta.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay
A pack-in Moose hunt here in BC should NOT cost 10K, unless you go for both Moose and Elk, or, perhaps RM Goat.

If, you are careful about your various ancillary costs, such a hunt for a North American resident who drives to BC should not run more than about $7-8K and many are considerably less.

For Moose, specifically, I would not bother with the horse hunts, there are other ways of doing this and some research WITH the various "Guide-Outfitters" can result in obtaining the current info. that is required to accomplish this in a satisfactory manner.

Elk on horseback would be good too, or better. I'd just like to hunt in the mountains from a horse. The trip being more important than the game.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Phone Doug, "Chilcotin Hillbilly" who is on "AR" and "HBC" and see what he might have for you for a decent Moose and Mulies and RM Goat.

1-250-476-1288

His ranch/outfit is in one of BC's most beautiful areas, few humans live there and there are LOTS of G-Bears, Wolves,Cougars, Lynx and Moose, Mule Deer and RM Goats. I think that you MIGHT find a hunt with him that would be the "trip of a lifetime" and he is a native-born BC boy and his wife is a native-born BC girl.

I am considering starting to go with him every second year and one other guy in the Kootenays, as Doug has no Elk, alternate years, as I am getting to the time of life when backpacking huge loads of meat that MUST come out of the bush ASAP so it does not spoil is pretty damned difficult.

So, I dunno if he would do a 2x1 for you and I with one beginner guide, but, it can't hurt to ask and I should have the new truck ready next year and that might be a way of affording such a hunt for you....?

I am going to find out more late in this year and may well book with him just after Christmas next, so, give it some thot.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I want...

Satterlee Ti Mauser in a synthetic stock.

Quite the odd/rare build request. I just recently bought one of these. Would be interested In knowing how many he has built? I believe that he has built a couple Ti actions but how many complete builds I would think are very limited. I have three of his steel actions I have waiting to be built into something. However my word of advise would be to not order a anything direct. I know from expierince that just an action alone takes him over 3 years to build. A complete rifle I would hate to guess. But his work and fit and finish is flawless. I bought a complete 338 walnut win ah from him some years back and it is an beauty......

Last edited by Mckay; 08/21/13.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
KInda what I think. I really don't give a crap about "dream", but if that gets you off, have at it.. I'm into cheap and efficient, myself. No class whatsoever... smile

It doesn't have to be expensive or prettyy to kill to 500 yards as long as they shoot. I've a couple butt-ugly beaters to prove it. Makes the powder-burn shots a gimmee..... smile And no, you can't buy them. I'm not done beating them up yet.

Last edited by las; 08/22/13.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I think about rifles I'm thinking of turnbolt guns.

When I dream of rifles it's always a 99 Savage.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suppose on a rifle I would be happy with one of the Cooper Westerns in a 30-06 or a 25-06...that would leave lots left over for hunting trips.

But i would really prefer to use it all towards a Yukon Moose hunt! #1 on my list!

Rob
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay
Phone Doug, "Chilcotin Hillbilly" who is on "AR" and "HBC" and see what he might have for you for a decent Moose and Mulies and RM Goat.

1-250-476-1288

His ranch/outfit is in one of BC's most beautiful areas, few humans live there and there are LOTS of G-Bears, Wolves,Cougars, Lynx and Moose, Mule Deer and RM Goats. I think that you MIGHT find a hunt with him that would be the "trip of a lifetime" and he is a native-born BC boy and his wife is a native-born BC girl.

I am considering starting to go with him every second year and one other guy in the Kootenays, as Doug has no Elk, alternate years, as I am getting to the time of life when backpacking huge loads of meat that MUST come out of the bush ASAP so it does not spoil is pretty damned difficult.

So, I dunno if he would do a 2x1 for you and I with one beginner guide, but, it can't hurt to ask and I should have the new truck ready next year and that might be a way of affording such a hunt for you....?

I am going to find out more late in this year and may well book with him just after Christmas next, so, give it some thot.

Hey Dewey ....

Missed this post. Going to give this one some thought.

Thanks

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 23 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.