Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of the reasons you listed would stop me from buying a stock from any of the makers I named.

Terry

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What if you had a Mauser 96 with a Shilen #4 barrel and a 1" shank, featuring PTG oberndorf bottom metal, and you wanted a left handed stock pattern in a Orange/blue swirl finish, with a red 1" decelerator, cut to 14.5" LOP?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I really want to try a High Tech/Bansner. Finishing a stock would be fun, but leary about trying to cut the stock to install the puss pad myself.
Let me know if you end up trying one. I'd be into buying one and finishing it, too.

Tanner

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
What if you had a Mauser 96 with a Shilen #4 barrel and a 1" shank, featuring PTG oberndorf bottom metal, and you wanted a left handed stock pattern in a Orange/blue swirl finish, with a red 1" decelerator, cut to 14.5" LOP?

Well, the first thing I would do is question myself as to why I would want an orange and blue swirl finish stock in the first place. Next, I would ask myself why I wanted a left hand stock because I'm right handed. My third concern would be why I would want a M96 stock at all because I don't own one.

What does this question have to do with anything? Deflave ask who else made a good composite stock and I answered him. Nothing more. If McMillan is your stock of choice, by all means continue to buy them, they make a good product. If you need a reason not to buy from other makers, thats your choice too. that said, none of your above listed reasons would stop me from do business with any of the above makers I listed if they had a stock I wanted/needed. They make a good product too.

Problem?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I really want to try a High Tech/Bansner. Finishing a stock would be fun, but leary about trying to cut the stock to install the puss pad myself.

I have been pondering this for quite a while also. I have a Steyr 98 w/ #2 taper 21" barrel and Parker Hale in the bow BM thatI'd like to build LIGHT. will likely go this route as Christmas present for myself?

I don't have a big problem with a wait as long as I am given a reasonably accurate estimate up front. Waiting 8 months when I'm told 6 would really irritate me.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
Let me know if you end up trying one. I'd be into buying one and finishing it, too.

Tanner

I've done a lot of them. I've cut the stock with a radial arm saw and a miter saw (several done with each saw). Put tape on the line where they are going to be cut and all is good. Even things up with a sander. I don't think HTS's are as strong or stiff as a Mickey, but if you finish them yourself they are a great bang for the $ and can be finished pretty light, especially if you use a flip-flop pad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you not glass over the pre-existing finish? I've heard that was necessary to get away from the gritty feeling and to get an even finish.

Cutting and putting the pad on isn't too big of a deal. I had a friend help me out with a Miter saw and it was easy as pie.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've filled in pinholes and blemishes but never had to go over the whole stock. Have to sand down the mold lines and fill there as needed if there are pinholes. Never noticed a gritty feeling...I usually try to texture the paint a little as the stocks are kinda slick without a checkering pattern.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TC1

What does this question have to do with anything?

Options my man, options.

If you want a stock built within a relatively strict set of parameters (stock style, inletting, LOP, finish options, etc.), the other guys probably have something for you.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1

What does this question have to do with anything?

Options my man, options.

If you want a stock built within a relatively strict set of parameters (stock style, inletting, LOP, finish options, etc.), the other guys probably have something for you.

The other companies only increase your options as a consumer which was my point in the first place. I have no idea where you're going with this but, carry on.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TC,

The reason I asked is 'cause I have a wonderful pre-Garcia Forester and was wanting an EDGE. I have seen McMillans are taking a bit longer than usual so I called Manners. They gave me a GFY, so I am mainly curious if other companies make an EDGE comparable stock that they will inlet for the Forester.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 300MAG

Problem is that when you are waiting to have a custom rifle built & have every single component for the rifle except your stock, that's THE problem!! (especially when you are quoted 5 months and have to wait 7 or 8)

I can understand the frustration, but I don't see an extra two months on a build being a huge concern.

But then again, I'm the kind of guy that will order my Randall, and wait 5 years.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
TC,

The reason I asked is 'cause I have a wonderful pre-Garcia Forester and was wanting an EDGE. I have seen McMillans are taking a bit longer than usual so I called Manners. They gave me a GFY, so I am mainly curious if other companies make an EDGE comparable stock that they will inlet for the Forester.

Travis

Manners did the same when I asked them about a stock for a Ruger 77 MK II.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Manners did the same when I asked them about a stock for a Ruger 77 MK II.

I think that's racism.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinkin' that if you've left a hunt up to whether or not a stock shows up, you need to rethink strategies.

But, I can understand how an 8 month wait might kind of suck. That's why we have Classifieds....grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can keep a stash of McMillans for future builds..

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've ordered 6 McMillans through Rick over the last few years. The wait is getting a little ridiculous now. I ordered 2 stocks (Rem KS and swirl for a Mauser) on Dec 20. The swirl for the Mauser was done and shipped June 20, although it was inletted incorrectly. No word at all on the KS. When your told the wait is 5-6mths and its now 9mths and the last McMillan that shipped was incorrect...my faith in McMillan is dwindling. Luckily, there are other options out there.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well then, I just got the email from Rick that my Mickey is ready!

Pictures to follow in the coming days

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ordered March...Ready in Oct..

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ordered in August, ready in January-ish!? It can't come soon enough!

I'm building a custom 338WM on a M77 Action. Rogard matte finish. Minox 2-10X50. Barrel to be decided soon.

.270 WIN - CZ 550 American
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.