Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
This is all very interesting. I've come to the conclusion reading this that even the biggest proponents of using Bergers on Elk don't recommend them if the shot angle is less than ideal or heavy bone may be encountered (doubly interesting that many of these same individuals slap themselves on the back for shooting an Elk at 800 yds). I'm sorry, but I just don't have any patience for stuff like that in the name of high BC "target" bullets. Pass the Barnes LRX please. They shoot more accurately anyway.

Well I kinda feel the same way but a couple of people whose experiences and opinions I trust say they will do the job and are especially effective at really long range, where I can see them working fine....all this sets up this HUGE conflict in my brain crazy smile

I reconcile all this by factoring in that I am not a real LR shooter (being all done at 500-600 yards)....and simply stick to the deeper penetrating stuff I am used to using blush

I am a bit mystified by the comments of some Berger users who say the elk simply shrug off solid chest hits with things like Partitions and others....sort of wander around a great distance before they collapse...which has not been my experience at all.

Maybe I am angling too many shots through bones?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob, Bergers are far from my first pick for elk, I really like barnes for them..I do plan on using them this year cuz I'm trying them out on my colorado deer hunt,and I plan on picking up an OTC bull tag on that hunt and the 168's are what I'm rolling with.If this hunt goes the same as most others i'll prolly drop an elk long before a deer. sorry to the elk fans out there but decent bull elk are by far easier to find than a big muley on public.

i'll use them and am pretty sure what the outcome will be, it wont be my first berger'ed bull, and I know what parts to keep the bullet out of smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
This is all very interesting. I've come to the conclusion reading this that even the biggest proponents of using Bergers on Elk don't recommend them if the shot angle is less than ideal or heavy bone may be encountered ...

Well I kinda feel the same way but a couple of people whose experiences and opinions I trust say they will do the job and are especially effective at really long range, where I can see them working fine....all this sets up this HUGE conflict in my brain crazy smile

I reconcile all this by factoring in that I am not a real LR shooter (being all done at 500-600 yards)....and simply stick to the deeper penetrating stuff I am used to using blush

I am a bit mystified by the comments of some Berger users who say the elk simply shrug off solid chest hits with things like Partitions and others....sort of wander around a great distance before they collapse...which has not been my experience at all.

No, just taking a well-reasoned approach that has been proven effective many times more than all the Berger kills put together. I sum it up this way: "Prepare for the worst and work for the best."

For me that means using bullets I believe will work just fine when all goes well but whose design enhances the probability of deep penetration with controlled and limited expansion if things go wrong. Although I've never used a Partition personally (even though they were my back-up loads for many years), I've seen them used and have yet to see an elk "shrug one off". The same is true with Trophy Bonded. For myself, Speer Grand Slams, North Fork SS and Barnes MRX/TTSX have put a lot of animals down very effectively with no lost animals or long tracking jobs. (Or even short ones.)

Going back to 1999, here is the yards gone after the shot for my hunting buddy (Dave), son-in-law and myself:

1999 - Grand Slam - 5x5 bull - Dave - 0 yards
2000 - Grand Slam - cow - Dave - 120 yards (neck shot against my advice)
2000 - Grand Slam - 6x5 bull - Mine - 0 yards
2002 - Grand Slam - cow - Dave - 40 yards
2002 - Grand Slam - cow - Mine - 40 yards
2002 - Grand Slam - 5x5 bull - Mine - 0 yards
2003 - North Fork - 6x6 bull - Mine - 0 yards
2006 - Trophy Bonded - cow - Dave - 5 yards
2006 - North Fork - cow - Mine - 25 yards
2007 - North Fork - cow #1- Mine 0 yards
2007 - North Fork - cow #2 - Mine 0 yards
2010 - AccuBond - cow - Mine - 0 yards
2010 - WW Power Point - cow - son-in-law - 0 yards
2011 - AccuBond - cow - Mine - 3 yards
2012 - MRX - cow - Mine - 5 yards

That's 15 elk with 8 going straight down after the shot and 3 more making it 5 yards or less. I've no doubt that if my hunting buddy had shot his 2000 cow behind the front leg that it would have dropped much faster. The problem was he had shot his bull in the neck the year before and it went straight down and he expected the same results with the cow even though I had cautioned him that neck shots could be iffy. I suspect a Berger VLD would have dropped Dave's neck-shot cow much faster than the Grand Slam did, even with identical placement. Most likely my .22-250 and a 40g Ballistic Tip would have done so as well, but I don't find that reason enough to want to use either combination for elk. For me such a choice would be like taking a neck shot - it might work but the chance of a problem is needlessly increased.

Edited because I can't count. 15 elk for the group instead of 16. Cut and paste error in the original version.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/19/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rosco I bet it turns out fine wink My own view, never having killed a bull beyond 500 is that I can understand the LR guys using them as the problem out far, besides hitting them right, becomes an expansion issue. Seems they do that well.

CH your experience mirrors mine and I have not had bulls go very far if anywhere at all after a hit from the tougher bullets; and like yours many where floored where they stood. My last one collapsed like a dynamited smokestack from a 160 Partition. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Landkiller
Who uses Berger bullets for elk? Results/experiences please.
...........Landkiller.....Realize that most if not all of the VLD detractors on any VLD thread such as this where this is debated, haven`t used them on elk or on any other game. To not use them is their choice and they are entitled to their anti VLD opinion.

What you do, is take stock from those who have frequently used them on elk, such as John Burns and a few others. Their experiences using VLDs on elk is far more than most including me as well.

Of my 10 elk taken, the latest one was killed with a 30 cal 190 hunting VLD. Thought I`d give the VLD a try and keep an open mind. Well! It did not disappoint.

Fired from 328 yards at a 2830-40 MV, the 190 penetrated the right shoulder bone and continued on doing massive internal damage with bullet fragmentation found just below the hide on the other side. The bull staggered about 3 to maybe 4 yards and then collapsed.

I have to say that out of the ten, the VLD gave me the quickest kill.

The perverbial thinking of many `ol school hunters as was mentioned on this thread earlier, is that they can`t seem to get their heads out of the sand when it comes to the VLDS. They automatically associate "hunting" VLDs as "MATCH ONLY" paper punching bullets and should not be used on elk.

Well I say to them. Look at the successful VLD results on elk by John Burns and by many others.

Imo, that alone trumps their old school way of thinking and their lack of experience.

To find out how they work just as with the rest of us VLD users have!! You just have to try them for yourself.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
...........Landkiller.....Realize that most if not all of the VLD detractors on any VLD thread such as this where this is debated, haven`t used them on elk or on any other game. To not use them is their choice and they are entitled to their anti VLD opinion.

As I�ve pointed out before, first-hand experience is not the only way of learning � if it was we would still be living in caves and communicating with grunts and other primitive pre-language sounds. Why is it that proponents of various products always drag out this red herring when trying to discount people with different views?

There are many accounts of Berger VLDs failing to perform in a manner I consider acceptable including some in this thread and claims by the manufacturer.

What you do, is take stock from those who have frequently used them on elk, such as John Burns and a few others. Their experiences using VLDs on elk is far more than most including me as well.

What? Pay attention to what others have said about their experiences with VLDs in lieu of first-hand experience? Kind negates the point of your first paragraph, doesn�t it?

I agree though, pay attention to the experience of others. In my case I pay particular attention when I read things from the manufacuter that suggests performance is not what I want and when proponents of the bullet confirm that type of performance � i.e. a wound channel of 13-15�, with high fragmentation. There is no doubt in my mind that that kind of performance works great when you stick one between the ribs or that such performance may cause problems when things don�t work out as planned. One thing I prepare for is a wounded animal heading away. If/when that happens I want a bullet that will penetrate deeply and I don�t trust Bergers to do the job. By contrast I�ve run North Fork and MRX end-to-end on muleys, dropping them in their tracks. A Berger could not have dropped them any faster unless they fell before the shot.

Of my 10 elk taken, the latest one was killed with a 30 cal 190 hunting VLD. Thought I`d give the VLD a try and keep an open mind. Well! It did not disappoint.

Fired from 328 yards at a 2830-40 MV, the 190 penetrated the right shoulder bone and continued on doing massive internal damage with bullet fragmentation found just below the hide on the other side. The bull staggered about 3 to maybe 4 yards and then collapsed.

The perverbial thinking of many `ol school hunters as was mentioned on this thread earlier, is that they can`t seem to get their heads out of the sand when it comes to the VLDS. They automatically associate "hunting" VLDs as "MATCH ONLY" paper punching bullets and should not be used on elk.

Use them if you want � they don�t meet my criteria and I�ve decided not to use them for good reasons. This �old school� guy prefers other modern bullets including North Fork, Barnes TTSX/MRX, AccuBond and so far they have worked just fine. Even the older Grand Slams performed very well, putting game on the ground quickly with 2 holes in almost every case.

Of the 10 elk I�ve taken since 2000, when I started keeping good records, 6 have gone straight down and two more went 5 yards or less. That leaves one that went 25 and one that went 40. It is possible 10 of 10 would have gone straight down with Bergers, but even Berger users don�t always claim straight-down results, so I doubt it.

Thanks, but I�ll stick with modern bullets that provide controlled but limited expansion, relatively high weight retention, penetrate deeply, provide good to excellent accuracy and work well under as wide a range of impact velocities as possible. The ones I use seem to be working just fine and I trust them to work in situations where my level of confidence in Bergers would be much lower.

Well I say to them. Look at the successful VLD results on elk by John Burns and by many others.

Do that, and then look at the reports of those that have been less than thrilled with VLD performance. Then make up your mind.

Imo, that alone trumps their old school way of thinking and their lack of experience.

To find out how they work just as with the rest of us VLD users have!! You just have to try them for yourself.

Back to the first-hand experience red herring, yet above you suggest listening to others. Do so and you will find many happy stories and plenty of those that are less so.

I consider VLDs may be one of the best available for long range shooting. Inside 600 yards, which is what I practice to, I find no need for them and have valid concerns about performance at short range (high velocity impact) where I expect more fragmentation. No doubt performance would be fine on a well-placed broadside, maybe not so much on angles where other bullets would work just fine.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/19/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

Fair enough. I am curious though if you would recommend the Berger VLD if you had to put one through an 800lb Bull Elk's paunch enroute to his heart at 75 yds? Realizing of course that real Elk hunters pass on those types of shots. I however am not a real Elk hunter (I've never even shot the all important real elk hunters obligitory cow elk for pitty sakes) so wouldn't pass on such a shot.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Fair enough. I am curious though if you would recommend the Berger VLD if you had to put one through an 800lb Bull Elk's paunch enroute to his heart at 75 yds? Realizing of course that real Elk hunters pass on those types of shots. I however am not a real Elk hunter (I've never even shot the all important real elk hunters obligitory cow elk for pitty sakes) so wouldn't pass on such a shot.

....................I wouldn`t hesitate in the least given your above example.

Have any VLD detractors here personally called and talked with Berger or studied their site? I doubt it. Maybe watch any of the videos previously posted on the Berger site, where various hunting VLDs were fired into carcasses including bone at point blank range? I doubt it.

Well I have called Berger on several occasions including a couple of times prior to my first VLD kill on elk several years ago. And one of the questions and concerns I had was regarding the maximum impact velocities where the bullet would still be able to do its job without fragmenting to hell before the vitals are greatly disrupted.

This is what they (one of the higher up techs) said....Using the hunting VLDs, "we like" an impact speed to generally not exceed 3000 fps. And that 3000 fps figure is not set in stone or is an absolute max.

Now given the average killing distances for elk all across the board, do you think that a 3000 fps impact speed and less would fall under most if not all of the cartridges used for elk? Now there may be some extreme examples where someone might use a 300 RUM at less than 100-150 yards using say a 185 gr Berger at 3350-3400 fps MV that he loaded to max that will exceed a 3000 fps impact speed. And who is to say, that a reloader cannot down load his 300 RUM Berger VLD hunting load a bit.

But given most elk hunting situations, a 3000 fps impact speed and less, will be far, far more common than otherwise.

And that is why I wouldn`t hesitate.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

As I�ve pointed out before, first-hand experience is not the only way of learning � if it was we would still be living in caves and communicating with grunts and other primitive pre-language sounds. Why is it that proponents of various products always drag out this red herring when trying to discount people with different views?

There are many accounts of Berger VLDs failing to perform in a manner I consider acceptable including some in this thread and claims by the manufacturer.

What? Pay attention to what others have said about their experiences with VLDs in lieu of first-hand experience? Kind negates the point of your first paragraph, doesn�t it?

I agree though, pay attention to the experience of others. In my case I pay particular attention when I read things from the manufacuter that suggests performance is not what I want and when proponents of the bullet confirm that type of performance � i.e. a wound channel of 13-15�, with high fragmentation. There is no doubt in my mind that that kind of performance works great when you stick one between the ribs or that such performance may cause problems when things don�t work out as planned. One thing I prepare for is a wounded animal heading away. If/when that happens I want a bullet that will penetrate deeply and I don�t trust Bergers to do the job. By contrast I�ve run North Fork and MRX end-to-end on muleys, dropping them in their tracks. A Berger could not have dropped them any faster unless they fell before the shot.

Use them if you want � they don�t meet my criteria and I�ve decided not to use them for good reasons. This �old school� guy prefers other modern bullets including North Fork, Barnes TTSX/MRX, AccuBond and so far they have worked just fine. Even the older Grand Slams performed very well, putting game on the ground quickly with 2 holes in almost every case.

Of the 10 elk I�ve taken since 2000, when I started keeping good records, 6 have gone straight down and two more went 5 yards or less. That leaves one that went 25 and one that went 40. It is possible 10 of 10 would have gone straight down with Bergers, but even Berger users don�t always claim straight-down results, so I doubt it.

Thanks, but I�ll stick with modern bullets that provide controlled but limited expansion, relatively high weight retention, penetrate deeply, provide good to excellent accuracy and work well under as wide a range of impact velocities as possible. The ones I use seem to be working just fine and I trust them to work in situations where my level of confidence in Bergers would be much lower.

Do that, and then look at the reports of those that have been less than thrilled with VLD performance. Then make up your mind.

Back to the first-hand experience red herring, yet above you suggest listening to others. Do so and you will find many happy stories and plenty of those that are less so.

I consider VLDs may be one of the best available for long range shooting. Inside 600 yards, which is what I practice to, I find no need for them and have valid concerns about performance at short range (high velocity impact) where I expect more fragmentation. No doubt performance would be fine on a well-placed broadside, maybe not so much on angles where other bullets would work just fine.
........Then we will agree to disagree for the most part. And I wouldn`t hesitate using a hunting VLD at a 30-35 degree angle on any elk given the proper shot placement, which needs to be done anyway regardless of bullet brand.

Now the bullets you have used for elk which you have posted work great. No one here on this thread including me never said they wouldn`t work. In fact they do a great job.

These VLD threads; use them or don`t use them, all boils down to individual bullet philosophy as to what one wants to accomplish internally.

But there is one thing for certain that cannot be overlooked. Given the same shot placements on elk, the Berger hunting VLDs will do far more damage to an elks vitals than any of the bullets you listed.

Each animal reacts differently after impact. Using the same Hornady, Speer, Nosler, and other bullet brands as well and given the same shot placements, one bull elk of a given size and weight may run quite a few yards after impact, while the other similar sized elk may drop right there (DRT).

And as Mule Deer mentioned earlier (paraphrasing), it is the degree of vitals disruption that determines how far an animal will run after the shot or how quick the kill is. Is that set in stone? Nope! Because an elk may run 100 yards after a near complete vitals destruction. There in lies of mystery of elk anatomy.

I like to think that we VLD users play the percentages. Kinda like a baseball manager when he subs for another batter or for another pitcher. He plays the percentages that he thinks will be favorable to his advantage. May not work as planned 100% of the time.

Still waiting to read an article by any gunwriter from any magazine, who has thoroughly documented a Berger "hunting" VLD failure.

If you have a link, then I`d sure like to read about it. I`m not talking about as an example....Well I have a friend,,,who has a friend,,,who has a buddy that,,,,,and so on, and so on, and so on.

Any documented or published articles from a gunwriter/gunwriters is what I`m looking for.

Nearly all of my VLD experience is on 60+ hogs. Only one VLD elk kill. But I`m willing to be enlightened before my next elk hunt, whenever the heck that`ll be. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have any VLD detractors here personally called and talked with Berger or studied their site? I doubt it. Maybe watch any of the videos previously posted on the Berger site, where various hunting VLDs were fired into carcasses including bone at point blank range? I doubt it.

You would be wrong, as I've both talked directly with Berger, studied their web site thoroughly and had an online discussion with someone from the factory. In addition I've read reports by those who were happy with the results and those who were not, watched numerous videos, studied photographs of recovered bullets and still find no reason to use them for my hunting.

... Well I have called Berger on several occasions including a couple of times prior to my first VLD kill on elk several years ago. And one of the questions and concerns I had was regarding the maximum impact velocities where the bullet would still be able to do its job without fragmenting to hell before the vitals are greatly disrupted.

This is what they (one of the higher up techs) said....Using the hunting VLDs, "we like" an impact speed to generally not exceed 3000 fps. And that 3000 fps figure is not set in stone or is an absolute max.

Now given the average killing distances for elk all across the board, do you think that a 3000 fps impact speed and less would fall under most if not all of the cartridges used for elk? Now there may be some extreme examples where someone might use a 300 RUM at less than 100-150 yards using say a 185 gr Berger at 3350-3400 fps MV that he loaded to max that will exceed a 3000 fps impact speed. And who is to say, that a reloader cannot down load his 300 RUM Berger VLD hunting load a bit.

But given most elk hunting situations, a 3000 fps impact speed and less, will be far, far more common than otherwise.

I have a couple problems with the above - one with the 3000fps impact speed as being an upper limit where the Berger VLDs will work " fragmenting to hell" and the other the "average" distance at which elk are taken.

First, I have no faith the VLDs won't " fragment to hell" at considerably less than 3000fps impact velocities, especially if bone is hit or maybe even an unseen twig. In the Barnes bone/gelatin tests, for example, a 7mm 168g VLD impacting at 2830fps penetrated 14-1/4" and retained only 24.3% of its original weight - pretty much the results advertised by Berger.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/bullet-talk/lab-tests/

As to the " average killing distances for elk", averages are just that - averages. Most elk are killed at ranges longer or shorter ranges. In 31 years I've never known at what ranges I would shoot until after the actual shot. One day might find me hunting the dense stuff while the next I'm looking across expanses of grass and sage. In years like 2007, where I anticipated 400-600 yards shots, I ended up taking one at 120 yards. A day or two later I passed on a second at 25 feet, only to take one moments later at 40 yards. Last year I was hunting sage with a bull tag in my pocket, in an area where I've taken several elk over the years, and took a muley buck on a quartering away shot at about 20-25 yards with a 180g MRX. The bullet's muzzle velocity was 3038fps last time I chrono'd one. The buck went maybe 3 yards and down. The next day I took my cow at 400 yards, my longest shot ever, with similar results - it swapped ends and took a step or so back the way it had come, then turned uphill for another step or two and went down. In any case, based on my "averages", I don't need a bullet that I think is best suited to ranges over 600 yards, partiularly since I only practice to 600.

Please keep in mind I bear no ill will towards those that choose differently - I just don't see VLDs as a viable solution for my hunting.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No personal experience with the Berger bullets

First line of your first post seems to sum it up pretty well.

Good thing you added 62 more posts and a few thousand words to the discussion. You keep grinding this hard and you are going to run out of axe. cool

This is all very interesting. I've come to the conclusion reading this that even the biggest proponents of using Bergers on Elk don't recommend them if the shot angle is less than ideal or heavy bone may be encountered (doubly interesting that many of these same individuals slap themselves on the back for shooting an Elk at 800 yds). I'm sorry, but I just don't have any patience for stuff like that in the name of high BC "target" bullets. Pass the Barnes LRX please. They shoot more accurately anyway.

While I hope the brand new LRX works well it is amusing to me that you are praising a bullet that has essentially zero real world use on elk. I would be willing to bet you have shot exactly the same number of elk with the LRX as you have with the VLD.

There really is no path to an elks heart through the paunch that does not also include his butt. This type of shot is based in myth.

There are a number of things wrong with trying to target the heart on from the back of the animal. The proper target is the pelvic structure to immobilize the animal and a finishing shot to the chest.

This shot is much easier to accomplish because the target area is readily visible and if done properly there is much less meat lost.

VLDs work very well for this shot and Kris killed this bull last year using this technique.

[Linked Image]

That being said it really is a bad idea to shoot trophy elk from the rear because it is much harder to judge how big or exactly which bull in a bunch.

This was the bull we were after. Low left of the 4.

[Linked Image]

This was the situation after the wolves bumped the bulls.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Unless that VLD blew 70 inches of bone off his head we shot the wrong bull. I took 29% of the blame because I told him the last bull was the biggest. blush blush

[Linked Image]

Moral of the story is shooting elk from the back is a bad plan in most situations but VLDs work just fine if you feel the need.

Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bob,

You will have to try VLDs someday to truly understand the "magic". VLDs kill so quick that time actually backs up a few seconds. laugh grin laugh

I am going to throw this out and say in my experience VLDs tend to open slower at close range than at long range. I think this is because the heat softens the lead core and that takes a little distance.

I killed 2 elk last year at relatively close range (100 yd bull and 135 yd cow) and the VLD worked great. Both were shoulder shot. Used the .243 Win/105gr VLD on the bull.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Holy chit, theres more ammo hanging off that rifle than I carry in my pack...

I was guessing since bergers were such a great elk bullet, all you'd need is one???

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You would be wrong, as I've both talked directly with Berger, studied their web site thoroughly and had an online discussion with someone from the factory. In addition I've read reports by those who were happy with the results and those who were not, watched numerous videos, studied photographs of recovered bullets and still find no reason to use them for my hunting.

... Well I have called Berger on several occasions including a couple of times prior to my first VLD kill on elk several years ago. And one of the questions and concerns I had was regarding the maximum impact velocities where the bullet would still be able to do its job without fragmenting to hell before the vitals are greatly disrupted.

I have a couple problems with the above - one with the 3000fps impact speed as being an upper limit where the Berger VLDs will work " fragmenting to hell" and the other the "average" distance at which elk are taken.

First, I have no faith the VLDs won't " fragment to hell" at considerably less than 3000fps impact velocities, especially if bone is hit or maybe even an unseen twig. In the Barnes bone/gelatin tests, for example, a 7mm 168g VLD impacting at 2830fps penetrated 14-1/4" and retained only 24.3% of its original weight - pretty much the results advertised by Berger.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/bullet-talk/lab-tests/

As to the " average killing distances for elk", averages are just that - averages. Most elk are killed at ranges longer or shorter ranges. In 31 years I've never known at what ranges I would shoot until after the actual shot. One day might find me hunting the dense stuff while the next I'm looking across expanses of grass and sage. In years like 2007, where I anticipated 400-600 yards shots, I ended up taking one at 120 yards. A day or two later I passed on a second at 25 feet, only to take one moments later at 40 yards. Last year I was hunting sage with a bull tag in my pocket, in an area where I've taken several elk over the years, and took a muley buck on a quartering away shot at about 20-25 yards with a 180g MRX. The bullet's muzzle velocity was 3038fps last time I chrono'd one. The buck went maybe 3 yards and down. The next day I took my cow at 400 yards, my longest shot ever, with similar results - it swapped ends and took a step or so back the way it had come, then turned uphill for another step or two and went down. In any case, based on my "averages", I don't need a bullet that I think is best suited to ranges over 600 yards, partiularly since I only practice to 600.

Please keep in mind I bear no ill will towards those that choose differently - I just don't see VLDs as a viable solution for my hunting.

..............CH...........I think that John Burns last posting sums things up quite well.

One quote you gave earlier on this thread that he points out, is that you have never used the VLDs for hunting. Well that is your choice not to use them. And as John Burns and I pointed out earlier, it seems clear on these VLD threads, that most if not all VLD detractors have not used them in the field.

And while you say that you know folks that have had VLD failures, there are always other mitigating circumstances as to why. Like why did the VLD fail? Did the elk get away?

I was looking for some real documented or real published links from articles from reliable magazine sources from you. Unless I missed something, I didn`t see any link or source from you in your previous post. Talking with others and getting their opinions are all well and good. But all that is, is 2nd party and beyond heresay. Actual evidence of failure trumps heresay.

So for you, the VLDs will never be on your hunting menu. And you can continue to justify your con opinions about them all you want. And that`s ok! Nevertheless, that does not diminish the fact that the VLDs are extremely lethal elk killers whether it be from the shorter ranges or at the longer extended ranges.

I simply asked the question if any con people to the VLDs called Berger and watched the videos on their site. When I stated that "I doubted it", that didn`t mean that I was 100% sure of that.

The hunting VLDs throw all kinds of wrenches into the traditional thinking of how a bullet "should" work after impact. Your choice is to stick with the traditional methods and thinking.

We successful VLD users at one point had to make the gamble and try them for ourselves for the very first time. It is obvious that you are not willing to go there.

Well until you do CH and are willing to set aside all the second hand heresay from this so and so and from that so and so, it seems to me that regardless of what you state that justifies their non use on elk, it is all conjecture based on opinion which you are entitled to have.

"FIRST" hand experience beats down the line heresay.

And how many times have we read about other so called bullet failure about other brand name bullets on this forum? There have been a few.

The bottom line is that your "after impact" bullet philosophy doesn`t match up with the hunting VLDS.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Pics display experience. Care to display your VLD experience?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Pics display experience. Care to display your VLD experience?
...........Sure 406 SBC. I have plenty of 35mm and a few blow ups for ya to see....Come on down! wink wink

For you, a personal in person showing from me to you, would be very complimentory towards you.

I would like nothing more! wink

Kinda like a hen coming to the fox house. laugh laugh

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I forgot, all of your experience happens inside your house. Seriously, if you can't display you've done more than read a gun rag then it's best to keep your mouth shut. Your experience sounds like nothing more than internet commando gibberish........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is no way you killed an elk with a 243.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

]..............CH...........I think that John Burns last posting sums things up quite well.

One quote you gave earlier on this thread that he points out, is that you have never used the VLDs for hunting. Well that is your choice not to use them. And as John Burns and I pointed out earlier, it seems clear on these VLD threads, that most if not all VLD detractors have not used them in the field.

bigsqueeze -

First, thank you for keeping the discussion civil- that is more than a lot of people seem to be capable of doing. I agree that we agree to disagree.

As a side note, my intention on such threads as these is not to denigrate those who choose to use Berger VLDs or the VLDs themselves and I apologize if it seems otherwise. My intent is to provide a second opinion, primarily for the benefit of those who might otherwise choose the product based on one-sided and possibly biased information. Just as no one is going to persuade me that North Forks are a poor choice for my needs, for either performance or cost reasons, I don't expect to persuade someone who is happy with VLDs not to use them - nor is that my intent.

And while you say that you know folks that have had VLD failures, there are always other mitigating circumstances as to why. Like why did the VLD fail? Did the elk get away?

It isn't that I know people who have had "failures" per se, rather just performance that I don't find particularly attractive when other options are available that have a track record of providing performance I do find acceptable - even under adverse conditions where I wouldn't trust a VLD.

I was looking for some real documented or real published links from articles from reliable magazine sources from you. Unless I missed something, I didn`t see any link or source from you in your previous post. Talking with others and getting their opinions are all well and good. But all that is, is 2nd party and beyond heresay. Actual evidence of failure trumps heresay.

2nd party, yes, but a great deal of our learning is equally valid even if indirect. Photos and, videos are sources I consider quite valid, as are manufacturer claims in this case and personal accounts of people I trust.

So for you, the VLDs will never be on your hunting menu. And you can continue to justify your con opinions about them all you want. And that`s ok! Nevertheless, that does not diminish the fact that the VLDs are extremely lethal elk killers whether it be from the shorter ranges or at the longer extended ranges.

Four things I have little doubt about:
1. A Berger VLD would have killed every elk and deer I've ever shot.
2. The difference in time-of-shot to elk-on-ground or distance travelled would have been very marginal at best.
3. Having seen the destruction caused by AMAX bullets use by my son-in-law, I've no doubt VLDs would have caused more, and quite unnecessary, meat loss.
4. When things go badly, as happened with the quartering away buck that moved and got hit in the ham, I trust North Fork, TTSX and Grand Slam to penetrate to the vitals. Not so much a VLD.

I simply asked the question if any con people to the VLDs called Berger and watched the videos on their site. When I stated that "I doubted it", that didn`t mean that I was 100% sure of that.

The hunting VLDs throw all kinds of wrenches into the traditional thinking of how a bullet "should" work after impact. Your choice is to stick with the traditional methods and thinking.

We successful VLD users at one point had to make the gamble and try them for ourselves for the very first time. It is obvious that you are not willing to go there.

Well until you do CH and are willing to set aside all the second hand heresay from this so and so and from that so and so, it seems to me that regardless of what you state that justifies their non use on elk, it is all conjecture based on opinion which you are entitled to have.

You are correct, I'll probably not bother trying VLDs - the first-hand experience of others and proud claims by the manufacturer are the primary reasons why.

And how many times have we read about other so called bullet failure about other brand name bullets on this forum? There have been a few.

The bottom line is that your "after impact" bullet philosophy doesn`t match up with the hunting VLDS.

First-hand experience with XLCs is the reason I could never bring myself to use TSX on big game. Second-hand reports confirmed my doubts, even though, as the poster says of Lester's ammunition, "It usually works".

[Linked Image]

When the MRX came out the tip gave me enough confidence of reliable expansion that I gave them a try. Some years later with multiple TTSX and MRX kills for myself and my hunting partners, I'm quite happy with the results. The TSX loads I had worked up were quite accurate but I've used them on paper and steel rather than risk another XLC-type incident. The North Forks never gave me concern and first-hand experience with them dropping elk in their tracks has only boosted my confidence in them. Someone may be experiencing failures with them but so far we have not.

By contrast, second-hand accounts of VLD experiences causes what I consider justifiable concern. Not everyone will agree.

By the way, if I was shooting hogs as I used to do coyotes or prairie dogs, I might well give VLDs a go. Different application, different needs, different acceptable results.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wonder if ol John Plute was using Lester's� in his 30-40 Craig when he took the long standing record Dark Canyon bull?

[Linked Image]

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
While I certainly don't have the experience of many, I have killed one Elk....used a .270 with a 150 grain nosler partision. Killed lots of deer with Sierra Game Kings, many with a bow and even 3 with a .50 caliber round ball. The one simple thing that I try to do is wait for a clean shot regardless of the weapon. Use any decent weapon with a well placed shot....bingo. Not trying to over simplify this thread, but the guys killing game regardless of the bullet are hitting em where we should. Just my .02 cents worth. Have a safe and enjoyable season guys, take good shots and most decent projectiles will do the rest. Goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 09/21/13.
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.