OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
this is no different than the evolutionary changes in plant life that has been occurring at least since that Monk worked on field peas to make them taller or shorter.

it's only faster (more fast?).

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
this is no different than the evolutionary changes in plant life that has been occurring at least since that Monk worked on field peas to make them taller or shorter.

it's only faster (more fast?).

Not even close. There are worlds apart between the method by which nature made the wolf and man made the dog on the one hand (natural and intelligent selection), and the method by which scientists create Frankenfoods.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had no idea that alfalfa was the fourth most widely grown field crop in the U.S. I find that hard to believe. I would think that it would be measured in acres planted, and that cotton would beat it out, but hell, you never know. Anyway, what's so bad about GMO contamination????

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by heavywalker
[Linked Image]

+1. I'm with ya there, Bro.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've grown "hybrid" tomato plants coming out of a city water/sewage trtmnt plant. ya never know what they'll do or produce.

types of hybridization occurs all the time, but only the strong will survive.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Skeezix
I had no idea that alfalfa was the fourth most widely grown field crop in the U.S. I find that hard to believe. I would think that it would be measured in acres planted, and that cotton would beat it out, but hell, you never know. Anyway, what's so bad about GMO contamination????
Read up. The Internet is your friend.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
I've grown "hybrid" tomato plants coming out of a city water/sewage trtmnt plant. ya never know what they'll do or produce.

types of hybridization occurs all the time, but only the strong will survive.
GMO isn't hybridization.

IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it appears you're trying to bifurcate plant reproduction whether it occurs naturally, like a pink dogwood chimera, or a cross-bred type of sweet corn.

i know, you want to paint with a broad brush and include biological laboratory manipulation and imputation of genes into a chromosome to create a new kind of plant with specific strengths, etc.

they've cloned the sheep, why not clone a few more plants?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
it appears you're trying to bifurcate plant reproduction whether it occurs naturally, like a pink dogwood chimera, or a cross-bred type of sweet corn.

i know, you want to paint with a broad brush and include biological laboratory manipulation and imputation of genes into a chromosome to create a new kind of plant with specific strengths, etc.

they've cloned the sheep, why not clone a few more plants?
What you say above is gobbledygook. Hybridization is something that occurs in nature. Man uses the same methods as nature does to create hybrids. Hybrids are crosses between closely related species. GMO not only doesn't merely cross closely related species, but even cuts across kingdoms, using highly sophisticated laboratory technology, to achieve its ends, creating monstrosities that could never have existed in nature, regardless of what they might look like on the outside. These monstrosities are then introduced into nature without having the foggiest notion as to long term consequences, as if the earth were a test tube in a laboratory buried deep inside a mountain, and vacuum sealed by multiple firewalls from the possibility of accidental release. Irresponsible doesn't begin to describe it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a pig farmer (60 K pigs per year) in Denmark tell me how he solved GMO issues on his farm. Feeds it to his pigs then sell them to the slaughter house or to feed lots.

Problem solved

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, don't eat any alfalfa.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Skeezix
Read up. The Internet is your friend.

He asks you a question....you obviously can't answer.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK...explain IN DETAIL how GMO crops are dangerous to man and beast?

I don't want some environmentalist groups conjecture...facts please.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
TRH, first off you should call it Transgenic instead of GMO (genetically modified organism). It's not a cross at all, it is the insertion of a gene into a specific part of the genome. So you really think that adding a code sequence from a bacteria to detoxify glyphosate really alters significantly a genetic sequence that is millions of sequences long? You are doubtless aware that the human genome contains fungus like, bacteria like, and apmhibian like gene sequences too. Are you a monstrositie also?

The two issues that I see of concern are contamination of the genetic base and labeling (lack of) foods so that people might vote with their dollars.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BeanMan
You are doubtless aware that the human genome contains fungus like, bacteria like, and apmhibian like gene sequences too. Are you a monstrositie also?
Mitochondria and the like are hardly new additions to our make up concocted in a laboratory. We partnered with them before our ancestors were rightly considered true multicellular organisms ... rather more akin to complex colonies of single cell organisms. I will add, however, that our DNA is not merged, as mitochondrial DNA remains entirely distinct from that of our species, i.e., from that found in our cellular nuclei.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK...now, what is the Real danger of this?

I can see that the GMO plants can contaminate open pollinated plants and destroy the variety forever.

Are there any other documented deleterious effects on anything?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
why is inserting a gene into a potato plant to help it resist a fatal or near fatal frost a bad thing?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.