Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

advancements in technology has kept alive so far. the GMO miracle is helping to contribute to the advancement of said technology. we're outrunning Mathusian's forecasts. let's pray we continue to do so. i'm sure he's glad he's been wrong for so long. let's keep him wrong.

Hey, stupid,....post some goddam pics of your patch, or STFU.

.....the fact that third world folks living in a goddam GREENHOUSE can't feed themselves is not my problem, it's THEIRS.

GTC

Cross is smack on with this...and I do not believe we have a food shortage problem so much as a over-abundance of people problem.

And they can bloody well stop sending the over-flow to us.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

advancements in technology has kept alive so far. the GMO miracle is helping to contribute to the advancement of said technology. we're outrunning Mathusian's forecasts. let's pray we continue to do so. i'm sure he's glad he's been wrong for so long. let's keep him wrong.

Hey, stupid,....post some goddam pics of your patch, or STFU.

.....the fact that third world folks living in a goddam GREENHOUSE can't feed themselves is not my problem, it's THEIRS.

GTC

Cross is smack on with this...and I do not believe we have a food shortage problem so much as a over-abundance of people problem.

And they can bloody well stop sending the over-flow to us.

STU, we have neither. The problem we have is third world tinhorn dictators not allowing their people to be productive and feed themselves. There are parts of Africa that face 90% taxation, and no one can figure out why people won't work and be productive.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

STU, we have neither. The problem we have is third world tinhorn dictators not allowing their people to be productive and feed themselves. There are parts of Africa that face 90% taxation, and no one can figure out why people won't work and be productive.

With respect "we" do not have that problem, "they" do...why are "we" responsible for those that cannot build a decent p!sshouse or feed themselves?

Why are "we" responsible for some twat's inability to get off his lazy backside and grow a garden or hunt, and why are our tax dollars being used to cover "his" arse and feed "his" family...and if "he" has a despotic Government then it is up to "him and his" to change that.

We are having enough problems looking to our own.

ps, I am aware that you did not mean "we" in that context, I am just feeling a little bit p!ssy.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Skeezix
I had no idea that alfalfa was the fourth most widely grown field crop in the U.S. I find that hard to believe. I would think that it would be measured in acres planted, and that cotton would beat it out, but hell, you never know. Anyway, what's so bad about GMO contamination????
Read up. The Internet is your friend.

Right, because they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true...

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are isolated, and I'm going to try to harvest some seed from them.

If possible you should get some root stock. Better chance of getting pure stock but if they are that isolated you might be good. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[/quote]

Maybe that's our problem. Why is it our responsibility to feed the world? I bet if we stopped, the whole population growth thing wouldn't be such an issue.

Not very "global" of me, I know, but I'm curious when feeding millions in other countries became our problem? [/quote]

What do you think the millions of people in other countries will do when they all become hungry? Hungry people do crazy things. There would be a lot of unintended consequences if the world food supply were suddenly cut off.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BeanMan

The two issues that I see of concern are contamination of the genetic base and labeling (lack of) foods so that people might vote with their dollars.

I agree 110%. Label and let the consumers vote with their dollars. If the consumer was willing to pay for it, we could see a shift in this country toward organic, American grown food. Unfortunately, the average consumer doesn't care where their food comes from as long as its cheap. If nutrition wasn't a distant second place concern, you wouldn't see aisle after aisle of "convenience food" and over processed junk in our grocery stores. Can't spend those extra dollars on nutritious food when we have all those really important things to pay for like smart phones and cable tv.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The problem we have is third world tinhorn dictators not allowing their people to be productive and feed themselves. There are parts of Africa that face 90% taxation, and no one can figure out why people won't work and be productive.
Precisely. People are starving due to oppressive and authoritarian states. Absent that, people can feed themselves without difficulty.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 308scout
Originally Posted by Skeezix
I had no idea that alfalfa was the fourth most widely grown field crop in the U.S. I find that hard to believe. I would think that it would be measured in acres planted, and that cotton would beat it out, but hell, you never know. Anyway, what's so bad about GMO contamination????
Read up. The Internet is your friend.

Right, because they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true...
Your logic is badly wanting. By that argument, one also shouldn't visit libraries, since there are many books containing error and falsehood.

One must research with intelligence. If that's too daunting for you, leave it to others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with my logic. I am sure you can "research" long enough to back up whatever argument you want to make.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Unfortunately, the average consumer doesn't care where their food comes from as long as its cheap.
If that's the case, one wonders why Monsatan spends so much money opposing labeling requirements for GMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like I said, go ahead and label food. I personally think it is an excellent idea. But, if you are right, why are organic food stores not putting the regular grocery stores out of business left and right? Or, why haven't regular grocery stores vastly expanded their organic food sections?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How many of you guys would like to know where your beef was grown?

Cool(country of origin labeling) is being fought over right now.

Obviously I'm biased towards American grown beef.

We import from Canada, Mexico and a few South American countries.

I don't have a problem with Canada but am a little leery of the others.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Organic Mexican lettuce scares me.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Like I said, go ahead and label food. I personally think it is an excellent idea. But, if you are right, why are organic food stores not putting the regular grocery stores out of business left and right?
Because the "big box" grocery stores succumbed to economic pressure and started carrying organic foods. Where have you been this past decade? Stationed in an antarctic science base? crazy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sam,he is growing on 3 acres of kline grass as i type this.

He has a date with the butcher on the 16th,then he is good eating.

That stuff sure grows some tasty critters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like I said, go ahead and label food. I personally think it is an excellent idea. But, if you are right, why are organic food stores not putting the regular grocery stores out of business left and right?
Because the "big box" grocery stores succumbed to economic pressure and started carrying organic foods. Where have you been this past decade? Stationed in an antarctic science base? crazy

No, living in the real world. I never said there wasn't organic sections in stores but, I guarantee that the organic section of the big box store is a he!! of a lot smaller than the rest of the grocery section. And, if you think all consumers are really that concerned about the nutrition they ingest into their body, why are soda and candy bar sales as high as they are? What about people who smoke? Yes, nicotine and caffeine are highly addictive, but if people REALLY cared, they would stop all these in a heartbeat. Sugar in soda and tobacco are worse for you than most of what we eat.

And sure, people are starting to care more about what they eat, but at the end of the day most of them care more about price. Not arguing right or wrong, just how it is. Not telling you how to live your life, I could care less. Congratulations to you for being able to afford much higher priced food, I wish everybody could.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Say no to GMO!

(PNS reporting from WASHINGTON, DC) A new Food and Drug Administration study has detected a questionable strain of genetically-engineered corn in taco shells produced for Taco Bell.

�It could cause digestive problems, cramping, spasms, allergic reactions and even night blindness,� Colonel Ben Enoso of the FDA�s Genetic Corn Division told a press conference Monday. �Unfortunately, this makes it pretty hard to distinguish from other Taco Bell food items.�

The corn, which carries a gene designed to kill insect pests if eaten, has been approved as feed for animals but not humans. Scientists suspect the human body will not be able to digest a key protein in this killer corn and privately dread having to dig around for undigested corn samples afterwards.

Anti-GMO activists see this as part of a plan to sneak genetically-engineered foods into the global digestive system.

�They�re pushing this monster maize down our throats,� Barry Aguitado, spokesman for the Tortilla Liberation Front told PNS, �so corporations can control the world food supply. Then, with their Monsanto Protection Act, they�ll have us by the niblets.�

Another group, Children of the Corn, recently destroyed genetically-engineered crops in greenhouses at UCSD. �They were developing a strain of hominy that will be ineffective against the cruda,� said Han Gober, a member of the group, adding, �we had to stop them in the name of all that is holy.�

Aguitado and others accuse multinational corporations of putting profits before public health when it comes to introducing genetically-engineered foods into the human diet.

Prof. Gene Fregadera of Buscalana Laboratories disagrees. �We test all our products thoroughly on Angry Birds. They fly through the air with the greatest of ease.�

But critics are not convinced and remain mistrustful of the unseen hand of science. The FDA report follows a recent discovery in Battle Creek, MI of a seven-ton production run of Cheerios made with pet-food-grade oats � oats genetically engineered to teach dogs to play poker.

�Corporations need to stop playing with our food and keep their hands out of our genes,� Peter E. Dische, author of the groundbreaking book Our Bodies, Our Cells, wrote in a column for the Huffington Post.

�The use of genetic engineering, growth hormones and improper megafarm techniques have also created such public health disasters as Mad Cow Disease and new poultry epidemics such as Daffy Duck Disorder and the Silly Goose Syndrome.�

But how did a potentially dangerous corn strain ended up in something as basic as taco shells? Increasingly, GMO food incidents are forcing corporations like Monsanto and Taco Bell to defend their products.

At a hastily-called press conference after the release of the FDA report, a Taco Bell spokesman went on the offensive:

Taco Bell food products are perfectly safe. I�ve eaten lots of genetically engineered food, and I�m just fine. Sure, I�m a Chihuahua, and I have acquired the power of speech, but what poker-playing dog hasn�t?

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.