Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It was a terrible comp but during the ban, you had very few choices.

I also had an AR-10 with a 16" barrel and Armalites brake that would clear anyone from either side of you.

Cousin did have a brake from Accuracy systems that worked well but I hate brakes. The newer Battlecomps and the like are a whole lot different yet still the same. If I was shaving seconds, I might be interested but I do ok without them.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
16 inch barrel the simple A2 hider is loud but not amplified loud. I shoot 300WSM, 308, 257 roberts, 5.56 in the woods at deer. The 5.56 with A2 in a 16 inch barrel seems less loud than a 308 from a 22 inch barrel, but I probably cannot hear anymore anyway. I have scrupulously avoided muzzle brakes since the one time I fired a ported marlin 44 magnum in the woods. That particular gun lasted 10 days in my collection IIRC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should never shoot without hearing protecting. I did and regret it every day. Constant ringing in ears and difficulties hearing things. Get electronic hearing protection to hunt with.

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I have scrupulously avoided muzzle brakes since the one time I fired a ported marlin 44 magnum in the woods. That particular gun lasted 10 days in my collection IIRC.

My Rem 700 VTR is louder than my other 308's, enough to prevent it from going to the deer woods. Even so, it isn't nearly as bad as other braked rifles I encounter at the range. I'm impressed by how obnoxious a short barreled 223 can be made by screwing the right loudener on the end of the barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite flash suppressor is the Vortex . Muzzle Brakes should come a free coupon for you first visit to the Audiologist

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am going to try the cheapo ear pro already recommended. Any advice as to electronic hunting ear pro?

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am trying the sport ear devices, they can make things real loud but are supposed to shut off at the shot, I will find out more tomorrow. The jury is still out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I am going to try the cheapo ear pro already recommended. Any advice as to electronic hunting ear pro?

ive got a $25 pair of electronic Caldwells that actually work really well.....prolly not as comfortable as more expensive ones but a huge improvement over the non electric ones as far as usability, i can actually hear conversations if there is someone around me something thats occasionally challenging even if i aint shooting and worried bout hearing protection crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not sure what break/hider Rock River uses but my son's RR Operator is a unique listening experience when fired in an indoor range even with good muffs or plugs. It's still LOUD, throws fire out about 2 feet on each side and creates a noticeable shock wave you can feel.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My question is WHY does the puny poodle shooter called the .223/5.56 need a muzzlebrake? Are we really that wimpy that we need to dampen the minimal recoil it generates?

I had my local 'smith cut the brake off my stag 6.8 for the reason the OP sighted. Damn loud and I want to use it for hunting.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
It was a terrible comp but during the ban, you had very few choices.

I also had an AR-10 with a 16" barrel and Armalites brake that would clear anyone from either side of you.

grin yep I had one as well, and they do clear the benches - which is actually okay if you have a jerk next to you smile . Glad I never had to shoot it inside a house crazy

I now have an 18" on the AR10, and a Vortex hider.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
My question is WHY does the puny poodle shooter called the .223/5.56 need a muzzlebrake? Are we really that wimpy that we need to dampen the minimal recoil it generates?

I had my local 'smith cut the brake off my stag 6.8 for the reason the OP sighted. Damn loud and I want to use it for hunting.

I agree. However, they are loud with or without brakes. Not wearing ear-pro is more stupid than putting a brake on a .223/5.56.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I went against Armalites advice and cut mine off. They said it was pressed on but I felt like I could turn it down and thread it. It was actually threaded and pinned so it came off quick.

As for the poodle shooter comment, brakes are for those that want to see hits in their scopes or get to the next target as fast as possible. It has nothing to do with managing recoil to just shoot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Walker's Game Ear.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

In competition- speed matters and hundredths of a second (1/100ths) is the difference between winning and losing.

In real life- speed matters and hundredths of a second (1/100ths) is the difference between winning and losing. Because I want to see what is happening through my optic. A good brake keeps my sights shimmering in a head size target at 100 yards. If I want it to be "quieter" I'll mount a suppressor.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I just put a comp on my AR for 3 gun and decided to try it out on some coyotes today. After the first shot I stuck a foam ear plug in my left ear to stop the blood, I should have done the same for the right one as it is ringing right now.

SJC Titan comp is bad for your hearing. Important Safety tip. I was able to track the coyote with the scope after every shot though.

Lord have Mercy. cry cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They never seem to have trouble hearing after indoor gun battles on TV so we must be doing something wrong.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, something like a Titan on an AR is not for recoil control in the normal sense of the idea. It's about keeping the muzzle from moving for fast follow up shots, most noticeably in your transitions. Shooting at 7-25 yards you'll be fine with a standard flash hider. But offhand shooting at 80 yards is considerably easier with a good comp.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimone
They never seem to have trouble hearing after indoor gun battles on TV so we must be doing something wrong.

To a point there is actually a tad bit of truth in that, its called auditory exclusion. It does only go so far, like if you have a 50cal M2 go off near your ear.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 61 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.