Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Much needed as in if the situation got to the point where I was carrying a rifle and had to reach for the handgun, the handgun could be used to trace ownership to determine the body was mine.

grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The reference to Gary Shelton, here is both pretinent and interesting; I have had all of his books for some years, have read them all and know several of those he mentions in them. He is an American, one of scores who came here to BC, in the '60s and he is/was a "forest engineer".

His opinions represent one "polar" of the on-going and,sadly, unpleasant and all too often ignorant controversy about bears in general and Grizzlies in particular, that has raged here in BC for about 40 years. Gary, is a "resourcist" and a believer in "harvesting" nature, a very different attitude than that of many others concerned with this issue.

His advice in his books is,as he openly states, based on his interaction over the time he has been in BC, with much the same kind of "old timers" from whom I learned much of what little I know about wilderness life, bears and so on. I knew some of these "mid-coast" bushwhackers when I worked there the first time in forestry in 1969-70, and I seem to recall that Gary arrived in BC around that time and he is 2-3 years older than I am.

So, yeah, get his books, read them and see what YOU think, I find them to be excellent, although some of his opinions are not the ones I hold.

As to handguns, I realize that SOME and I think, only a FEW, guys can run them to the level needed to deal with bears. Given the OP is here in BC, it is not an option as carrying is not allowed in huntng. Also, I agree, WHY pack some 3-4 lbs. of extra weight which you will not have time to use, when packing a good rifle?

One last point here and it is that I have EVERY rifle I seriously use for hunting customized to have a 3-pos. Mod. 70 safety and single-stage trigger. I want my "muscle memory" to be attuned to ONE set of "controls" and thus not be quite as apt to fumble in the presence of a Grizzly...which, I have done and, I suspect, so have many others.

Right now, I am finishing the loading and tuning for my three, synthetic stocked Brno/CZ CRF rifles in 9,3x62, using both fixed 4x scopes and "ghost and post" irons and 286NPs at 2450-2500....should do the job, IMHO.

Some interesting comments on this thread and as some indicate, this topic is becoming ever more relevant for more and more hunters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
kutenay... I'm with you, I'd like to see the actual "study" before giving it a nod.

The two peer-reviewed retrospective studies I know of comparing the success of bear defense with firearms vs pepper spray were, in my view, significantly flawed because they failed to take into account the basic differences in bear attacks on unarmed hikers/forestry workers and attacks on hunters. But there is no question that people CAN and DO defend themselves effectively with firearms at times.

I'd like to hear Phil Shoemaker's take on this. He's our resident bear-killing member, I'd like to know what he thinks. I have no comment to make on the Berger bullet for bear defense but would like to know his take.

I've not shot a charging bear, but I've been bluff-charged, and have had a lot of up-close exposure to bears over 30+ years in the course of my outdoor recreation when I lived in my native Alberta. I also did some bear-country biologist work when I was a college student. This latter job earned me a slot at a class where we shot "charging" bear targets with 12-gauge slugs... this was the same class all provincial F&G officers took, btw. We were taught to aim at the "center of mass", which is basically the center of the chest under the chin. We were trained to take the time to make ONE good shot, because there is likely not enough time for a second one unless you anchor the bruin with your first shot.

At that time (1975) Alberta wildlife officers carried 12-ga 870's as bear medicine. Last time I talked to a ranger on patrol in bear country, in 1996 in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park where there was a LOT of grizzly activity, he was carrying an iron-sighted 300 Win Mag. He told me they'd had some "poor outcomes" with the slug guns on grizzlies, so had upped the ante.

There is no question that as grizzly populations increase in the mountain west, the frequency of hunters getting into dangerous encounters with grizzlies has also increased. In some areas, as one other member posted earlier, grizzlies hear a rifle shot and their innate response is to think "Elk for supper!". They will and have killed hunters to claim a fresh carcass.

My take-away from all of this is that if I'm hunting ungulates in grizzly country, I would prefer to carry a rifle chambered for a cartridge that will work reliably on griz, and that rifle is going to be set up for close work but can be upped to higher power if an elk is spotted at distance. A .308 class or better rifle, topped with a 1-4X or 2-8X scope left on the lowest setting until a distance shot presents itself, would suffice. Heavy-for-caliber premium bullets are preferable; they'll work fine on elk or deer or moose too.

I would not choose to hunt alone in grizzly country, and I would definitely not field dress or pack meat alone.

As always on these bear threads, I strongly recommend Gary Shelton's books on bear behavior and defense against bear attacks. Ignorance of these magnificent animals' behavior has cost many a bear and many a hunter dearly, and ignorance is never an excuse for killing or being killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-qJl2yyCg8

Center of Mass on an incoming grizzly is nowhere near "under the chin". A grizzly stands 3-5' tall according to the books. Smaller bears are more likely to be the problem...

The books also say they are 7-10' long. They have very long necks. When serious they charge with heads held low.

Watch the short video for a couple of cute bears at a few different angles, especially as they walk down the road. You would have to be a Smurf to get a good view of the chest under the chin...

COM is the top of the neck and into the shoulders. BTDT.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sitka, you've BTDT and I haven't except at that course, so I defer to your experience! The bluff charges I've experienced occurred in national parks where I had no firearm, so aiming-point never entered my mind.

Thanks for posting.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kutenay
The reference to Gary Shelton...

...I seem to recall that Gary arrived in BC around that time and he is 2-3 years older than I am.

So, yeah, get his books, read them and see what YOU think, I find them to be excellent, although some of his opinions are not the ones I hold.

Agreed, I don't hold to some of Shelton's opinions but in the main his books are excellent.

I'm curious, though... why THREE Brno/CZ 9.3x62's? Different set-ups for different missions?

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Another thing to take into account is limited visibility due to thick brush. I had to kneel in order to shoot the second bear that real-charged me. Without having done so shooting him would have been more like shotgunning a rabbit running through the goldenrod. As it was, I was low enough to really see him coming and I shot as soon as I got a good clear view of him at 12 yards. A 300 gr Nosler from my .375 square in the chest adjusted his thinking about me. He flipped backward, fell, and then tried to run off. I emptied the gun into him, reloaded, and shot some more, sparing myself a tracking job. There was outstanding penetration all around. One bullet from a going away shot was recovered. It broke the pelvis, drove the rest of the way forward, and was found lodged against a neck vertebrae perfectly expanded.

Hitting a grumpy, motivated bear at spitting distance with a high velocity, frangible, limited penetration bullet and expecting success is delusional to me.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Two are near-pristine examples of my favourite rifle, the superb and rare Brno ZG-47, made between 1956 and 1962, in total numbers of about 21,000. These, are factory 9.3x62s and they are hard to find, about the same price as P-64-70s and I just LIKE them!

I had one of those fancy little Kimber of Oregon, 82C-.22LR rifles for several years and it was just taking up space in one of my safes. I advertised it for sale or trade and a retired "CanForce" chap from "Cool Pool" offered me his minty CZ-550 in 9,3; I wanted a "working" 9,3 as my other one is a pretty nice original Type B, "Obie" and so did the deal.

I then collected divers parts, had some very good guys customize it and finally took possession last weekend. I WAS going back to bush work for a friend when all of this started, but, in March, 2010, my lady was taken ill and that has kept me home and permanently retired since that time.

So, yeah, I have a FEW more guns than I could "get by" with, but, hey, this IS a gun site, eh! smile

Anyway, I used to work for Alberta Environment, not F&G, the AFS and alone in the weeds for extended periods. So, maybe Phil S. will post here and give us his thoughts.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice. I know what you mean, some guns are just worth having more than one of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry Boys, I'd be pulling the trigger on my 12 gauge auto till the magazine was empty!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by kutenay
I would be very interested in the actual provenance for this particular study? If, done here in BC, it could be from one of the two "competing" groups currently involved in the controversy here regarding Grizzly hunting. So, assuming you have the title,ect., please post a link?

Concerning the OP's query, there is certainly a lot of opinion posted here and some seems a bit contradictory and some "facts" appear to be different in different posts.

However, since Phil Shoemaker, has often posted his opinion on bullets for bears, it seems to me that doing as he suggests and MD, whose credibility as with "BOBinNH", is simply beyond question, well, legitimate question, and going with the bullets that he uses.

I usually, by choice, hunt,hike, camp and fish alone and have done here for almost 50 years. When, I do carry a gun, I have developed "heavy for caliber" loads with NOSLER PARTITION bullets for all of my rifles, except my .220Swift. Based on some experience and the comments by those whom I respect, these work very well, are easily available and while costly, are not SO expensive that one cannot practice with some from each box to make SURE you can hit what you want to and operate your gun well.

I have Brenneke slugs for my two Benelli 12 bores, one a 14" model which is my "tent gun", as I sold my Redhawk.44M, because it is too much hassle to bother with the permits and I like to keep a short,powerful gun in my tent when sleeping. I have no illusions about these relative to my .338s, 9.3s or .375s, in performance, but, this is the best legal option I now have.

I hope Phil S. chimes in here, as he is the REAL expert and his comments on anything to do with any bears always interest me. If, he suggests a certain load for a given rifle that, IMO, is a VERY good place to start load development for your particular rifle, noting the usual caution concerning "starting" charges.

Again, IF that study IS from BC, I would like to see it, thanks.

Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance ,I believe it is in this Book.No link you will have to buy it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I thought that might be it; I knew the author and the partner in his "hippy" farm in my home region of BC, was on the first foresty crew I was assistant boss of, 1969.

I have the book, read it and strongly disagreed with some of his opinions, still do. I like him, but, he definitely has an agenda and one that is not always realistic, IMHO.

The issue is that he is NOT a "bushman" and while a decent, pleasant and sincere person, his "creds" to me are NOT quite the same as, for example, Phil Shoemaker.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have no experience so have no opinion, but have found the thread interesting. I did run across this test conducted by the Alaska Game and Fish Dept several years back which is informative.

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

Nutshell, they concluded a 375 mag to be the most effective round for large bear defense if one could stand the recoil. Larger guns offered little or no advantage.

A 30-06 or 300 mag loaded with 220 gr Partitions tied for the 2nd deepest penetration. Outperforming 338 mag, 350 mags, 444, 45-70, and 12 ga slugs among others tested. They concluded that for most people a heavy loaded 30-06 was probably as good as it gets when recoil is factored in.

This was before the Barnes and other copper bullets, so it is hard to say how that would have changed things. If at all.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh come on guys, ya'll are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just grab the damn thing by the tongue. Geez whistle

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
Stick that 155 in it's neck/dome/throat and I doubt it'd be too mouthy.
+1

155 Berger-308win

[Linked Image][/URL]

155 Berger-308win

[Linked Image][/URL]

155 Berger-308win

[Linked Image][/URL]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
F*ck it..here's another.

155 Berger-308win...Yes that's a exit hole.

[Linked Image][/URL]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously? Do you want me to find, scan, and post the pics of moose and bears killed by 223s and FMJs?

As some have said when arguing/choosing bullets for elk or moose hunting with a 243 or whatever, the critical three things are: placement, placement, placement. Anyone who has ever dealt with bears or other dangerous game in situations other than selective shooting (hunting), bullet placement is very often not even close to ideal. Dead bears often have quite a few holes in them; that doesn't necessarily mean they are especially difficult to kill - as long as you can get the first shot in there perfectly.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
888 -

Congrats on some fine animals...HOWEVER

not one of those is a Griz or Brown Bear attacking you that CAN kill, cripple, or EAT you alive.

I'll pass the 'burgers' thanks anyway!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is what i would carry if facing a Grizzly

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Seems that posting those ego-stroking hero pics kinda slowed down the Berger Bashing.

....hmmmmmm

grin

I'm sure those were close range, charging bears. whistle
Laffin...

The bears didn't charge because we killed them to quick. whistle

Funny how real world experience beats guessing but I guess that is why you is Laffin. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 2500HD, 52 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,288
Posts18,505,189
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.