“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked one up and held it for a couple minutes in Cabelas

I gave the ugly sob back to the sales clerk

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just can't see wanting anything lighter than a regular Montana.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've not been able to find one in other than .308 or .270 win. I'm holding out for the 30.06 version but now it's no longer listed on Kimber's website.

Didn't seem ugly to me.....besides I've got a dozen pretty wood stocks to fondle. I'm looking forward to carrying a rifle up the hill that weighs half as much as what I have now.

The last time I checked with my local gun store the wait time was 12 months. Apparently there is a lot of demand for "ugly".....

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's hard to make stainless and synthetic "pretty"

I'm not a big fan of the camo pattern on the stock, but I can't think it's any uglier than the rest of the off-the-shelf synthetics.

I'd buy one, but not at the $800 premium they are getting over the Montana.

I can't think of any reason the accuracy wouldn't be the same as a Montana.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I can't think of any reason the accuracy wouldn't be the same as a Montana.

That statement should give one pause. Ever heard of Kimber Roulette, this is the 2K version of the game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by plainview
I've not been able to find one in other than .308 or .270 win. I'm holding out for the 30.06 version but now it's no longer listed on Kimber's website.

Kimber's website shows the 84L chambered in 270, 280AI, and 30-06.

Curious where you heard they discontinued the 30-06.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting partner has one in 280ai and one in 30-06....got them shooting great with 140 accubonds I believe in the 280 and 180 NABs in the 30-06 both with loaded with RL-17

His wife took a sheep at 422 yards this year.

He shot a goat at 523 yards.......so yeah they can shoot alright....if you wanna risk the dreaded Kimber Roulette even though you don't hear anymore reports on them being so bad if they have been made in the past 5-6 years....I'm thinking they got their stuff together. Have owned two...been around half dozen more that all shot great. Some people just have terrible luck all the time...;)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ask the dumbass TAK how that rifle shoots now it's in competent hands? The biggest flaw the kimber he owned had was the idiot pulling the trigger.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Ask the dumbass TAK how that rifle shoots now it's in competent hands? The biggest flaw the kimber he owned had was the idiot pulling the trigger.

Yep, that non-shooting dumbass who's name is on the honor grad plaque on the wall in the SOTIC classroom. That same classroom you've never stepped foot in. USSOCOM says that not only can I pull trigger, I was the best that showed up for that class.

I never claimed to be a gunsmith, and my whole point is, when you play Kimber roulette, you'd better have some no-schidt gunsmith skills, and as many here have testified to, many of the kimbers still won't shoot until Pacnor finally installs a decent barrel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Yep, that non-shooting dumbass who's name is on the honor grad plaque on the wall in the SOTIC classroom. That same classroom you've never stepped foot in. USSOCOM says that not only can I pull trigger, I was the best that showed up for that class.

I never claimed to be a gunsmith, and my whole point is, when you play Kimber roulette, you'd better have some no-schidt gunsmith skills, and as many here have testified to, many of the kimbers still won't shoot until Pacnor finally installs a decent barrel

Can you show me 5 places where someone who has bought a new one in the last 3 years had a lot of problems?? I can do the same thing with the other rifle makers...there are problems with all of them none are fool proof. Whining about your bad experience on each and every thread about Kimbers does show you have persistence for sure though and for that I applaud you....:D

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Whining about your bad experience on each and every thread about Kimbers does show you have persistence for sure though and for that I applaud you....:D

Persistent? YES. Get used to it.

When you PAY for a Lexus, you are supposed to GET a Lexus (that would be a Kimber)

When you PAY for a Corolla, you are supposed to GET a Carolla, but in the case of some $450 700 ADL's, the "Carolla" will shoot lights out.

I'm really happy you snagged a nice Montana Lanche, but the fact remains that Kimber USA not only built a schitty rifle and sold it to me, they REFUSED to fix it, and that's a fact that SA Smoker will attest to, and also the gunsmith who could not believe what he saw through a loupe when he checked the crown. Facts are stubborn things, sorta like me.

The manufacture date on my rifle was 5yrs ago (it sat on a dealers rack for a LONG time) but Kimber USA's azz-[bleep] of yours truly was RECENT. Buyer beware. Say "Forbes Rifle" over and over again when you see a Montana.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 10/19/13. Reason: add
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Thanks for the memories, Al Bundy. How many TD's did you score in high school? That's just about as relevant today, you stupid [bleep]. Welcome to 2013!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, and thanks for the PM. I love you too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Whining about your bad experience on each and every thread about Kimbers does show you have persistence for sure though and for that I applaud you....:D

Persistent? YES. Get used to it.

When you PAY for a Lexus, you are supposed to GET a Lexus (that would be a Kimber)

When you PAY for a Corolla, you are supposed to GET a Carolla, but in the case of some $450 700 ADL's, the "Carolla" will shoot lights out.

I'm really happy you snagged a nice Montana Lanche, but the fact remains that Kimber USA not only built a schitty rifle and sold it to me, they REFUSED to fix it, and that's a fact that SA Smoker will attest to, and also the gunsmith who could not believe what he saw through a loupe when he checked the crown. Facts are stubborn things, sorta like me.

The manufacture date on my rifle was 5yrs ago (it sat on a dealers rack for a LONG time) but Kimber USA's azz-[bleep] of yours truly was RECENT. Buyer beware. Say "Forbes Rifle" over and over again when you see a Montana.

I've had issues with my Ruger and Remington...both instances custy service told me to pound sand....yet I still like them and not crying every time a rifle gets talked about....you haven't' even owned a Kimber Ascent...but your experience with a single rifle shows all about the company.

Good luck to you this season...hope you kill a big one with the forbes you have so much experience with.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a braked barrel is a total turn off for me, been there won't get another one. I have the montana in 308 and I like it a lot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Being a capable shooter and knowing how to make a rifle shoot are two different things. I can shoot really well but if my ammo sucks my rifle will never miraculously continue to print 1" or less.

It always seem to be the smallest of important details that get ones confused.

I do agree it is a possibility to get a lemon however in my experience The problem way more often than not is the nut rolling the ammo or pulling the trigger.

The sure way to determine rifle or shooter is to put your rifle in someone elses hands. If it suddenly shoots lights out then apply notes and do the same. The other alternative is too stand there locked legged and stiff kneed refusing to learn.

Shod

Last edited by Shod; 10/20/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These are both .280 ackleys
[Linked Image]

One out of the box shoot/shot 1/2-3/4", might be some potential to shrink those with some more work or so the person loading them thought.

Other one I believe did a few around an 1", but most were closer to 1 1/2-2"

Same person behind them both. Would either one of them kill whatever it is you're aiming at under 99% of conditions - YES

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't sound like anyone has spun the wheel and bought one yet.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 17Hunter, 46 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,990
Posts18,520,164
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.