-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
some of you western guys have to remember, some of our southeast whitetails are less than 100lbs on the hoof

shoulders? we talking about 1-3 lbs of usable meat minus the bone and sinew silver skin, artery cording, chunk of fat....

mehhh

unless some of you are under some delusion as to what magic happens inside the processors shack....if you've never self processed a carcass.

provided the processor himself is not flicking cigarette ashes into your grinds, or spittin copenhagen juice or losing a band aid or scratching his ass

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm all about anchoring critters. There are no downsides to drilling shoulders.

'Cept when they are the "rear shoulders" !! grin grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Even that isn't an obstacle to some of the folks who sometimes post here.

I shoot whatever the little devils show me, including necks, chests, shoulders and even armpits. I do feel better shooting at the parts that keep me away from the guts though, which is where the shoulder and occasionally the neck really shine.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I shoot whatever the little devils show me, including necks,

works:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Even that isn't an obstacle to some of the folks who sometimes post here.

I suspect you remember the original post by a now departed member who talked about shooting a deer in the "rear shoulder"? grin

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yessir. I hesitate to post a name lest he return....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Few years back we had four elk hunters and two of us trying to get them each a bull.

Second morning, two hunters still with tags, I just get back to camp with one guy and get a call that another hunter gut shot a nice bull. They trailed it across the flats for miles, got another shot but missed, then lost the trail.

Back out I go.

By afternoon they were ready to give up... I said let me drive around a couple miles ahead, I know where he's going, possibly I'll find him before he gets to the junipers.

I found him in a creek bed under a cottonwood, laid down but still alive.

Called the others to bring the hunter.

He got above the bull at 50 yds, we stayed back.

He shoots, then again, and again... five times...

WTH!

The way the bull was laid and looking back he thought his rear 'shoulder' was his front.

Killed the chit out of it's hams...

Kent

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's SAD, for the elk and the "hunter" (?)

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Like others said, to me it depends on if its meat or horns I'm after.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm all about anchoring critters. There are no downsides to drilling shoulders.
i shoot exclusively for shoulders if possible....and with a TTSX I get 2 exits and no explosions

i dont eat shoulder meat anyway

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You don't want one to go to far over the downside. Probably a 45 degree 500yard tangled blowdown slope with waist deep water at the bottom. A little lost shoulder meat would be the least of your problems.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There's meat on the shoulder.
This one didn't run.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Depends on the situation. There ARE places I want them down NOW, not 35 yds later.

In South Texas I want them down ASAP, which is smart unless you like crawling through head high cactus and mesquite thats too dense to see 20 ft in and will make you look a lion attacked you when you finally make it out. Not to mention the numerous rattlesnakes...

Out west I like it if the animal is near the edge of a canyon or anything else that will make the pack job twice as hard if they get too it.

Out in the open, sure, I'll go behind the shoulder.

I think people that ask questions like this either haven't hunted as much as they say, or they've never hunted anywhere else except "their spot" and think deer are hunted the same way and conditions are the same everywhere in the world as it is "where they hunt"

Bill

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I get more reliable quick kills with a handgun shooting a shoulder going in.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW-which isn't much-neither did this one.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For me, it depends on a number of factors, including but not limited to: location, time of day, weather conditions, what I'm using, what kind of shot is presented, how much meat I've already got in the freezer... When I'm pulling down on a deer I run all these things through the mental computer and decide. I could never say "I always shoot deer (this way or that.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't read many of the other replies so....

High shoulder shots on TV are for the effect, for some reason folks want to high five after slamming an animal to the ground, and question a hunter if they see a deer run after the shot.

Never mind the fact that there is less room for error with that shot and I always thought that conserving meat, and going for a high percentage shot was the best bet most of the time.

I've said it before and will again, if I feel the need to have DRT the largest target thats easiest to locate IMHO is the brain. The spine as it comes off the brain is half the size IE diameter. And it snakes around and is never in the same location in relation to the top of the back line of the deer so you have to know anatomy very well if you want to hit that tiny target at any place in the animal from any angle.

I understand the idea of not wanting to track or not having the animal go furhter, but thats the chance you take when you hunt and have to make your choice.

Can guarantee that moose hunting in some situations I'd take a brain shot due to water. And remember a cold evening in a river, cussing the fact that a buddy had made a high shot by accident on a caribou at least... REALLY wanted that bull to run out of the river before expiring.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You make some good points.

However, with the shoulder shot it's not the spine I'm after. It's the front wheels and as Steelhead says the stuff in-between.

Some of the shows are into instant on the ground, but it seems the majority like to have footage of them running off and then coming back in the dark with the made up high fives, giggling and hugs.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rost495
I didn't read many of the other replies so....

High shoulder shots on TV are for the effect, for some reason folks want to high five after slamming an animal to the ground, and question a hunter if they see a deer run after the shot.

Never mind the fact that there is less room for error with that shot and I always thought that conserving meat, and going for a high percentage shot was the best bet most of the time.

I've said it before and will again, if I feel the need to have DRT the largest target thats easiest to locate IMHO is the brain. The spine as it comes off the brain is half the size IE diameter. And it snakes around and is never in the same location in relation to the top of the back line of the deer so you have to know anatomy very well if you want to hit that tiny target at any place in the animal from any angle.

I understand the idea of not wanting to track or not having the animal go furhter, but thats the chance you take when you hunt and have to make your choice.

Can guarantee that moose hunting in some situations I'd take a brain shot due to water. And remember a cold evening in a river, cussing the fact that a buddy had made a high shot by accident on a caribou at least... REALLY wanted that bull to run out of the river before expiring.

As an example, I'm guessing (based on recent PM's) that 1) you seldom hunt from your hind feet 2) you seldom hunt in a rain forest.

If there is a downside to having a critter drop sooner rather then later, I'd like to hear it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
There's alot more good stuff center leg up than behind the armpit or head, and room for error...

Plus no drama.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,085
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.