Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I usually go to work pretty quick unless it's cold out, but it takes me awhile to get to the backstraps. I'm old and slow, so I pace myself.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How soon after the kill do you bone them?

As soon as pictures are taken. Never had an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes me wonder if our definitions of "tender" vary...my experiences mirror Rock Chuck's. I take the straps out last when taking a critter apart in the field to maximize the time they're next to bone. I also don't debone quarters if I don't absolutely have to.

Not directed towards anyone in particular...just a thought.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Makes me wonder if our definitions of "tender" vary...my experiences mirror Rock Chuck's. I take the straps out last when taking a critter apart in the field to maximize the time they're next to bone. I also don't debone quarters if I don't absolutely have to.

Not directed towards anyone in particular...just a thought.

This might have a lot to do with it. I've never eaten any meat in my life that was too tough to eat. We all have different views on what's too tough to chew.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We all have different views on what's too tough to chew.

Lots of toothless folks eat at taco bell, because the food is easy to chew grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by watch4bear

That and they're willing to eat crap! laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Don't they just leave them out for the polar bears? grin

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I field dress and haul a deer back to the house to hang it up, by the time I am rested enough to get back to skinning and deboning it has hung plenty long enough IMHO. with work etc. it might take a day or two to get a deer freezer wrapped. Took me 3 days to freezer wrap my moose solo. I was working as fast as I could because afternoon temps were pushing 50F. Lucky for me the nights were below freezing though. That was probably the best game I ever ate.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and you can't make, or drive tent stakes with a saw.

Sure you can - also with a machete. I've done it often- just cut a club and use that to drive the stakes. Ain't no trick to make stakes out of inch thick stuff with either, if there's some around.

Might be a problem with 20 inch diameter trees tho.... smile

And the saw is lighter- important if one is back-packing. Also handy for cutting snow blocks out of left-over slides from the winter before for cooling meat.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have found the same thing about deboning right away making tougher cuts. Especially the back strap.

I'm on the bandwagon.. Wait 'til Rigor Mortis has passed.

I've killed caribou at 20 below, gutted them, left the hide on, skinned them a week or more later. Some of the best most tender I've eaten, so maybe that thing about "not cooling too fast" is accurate (winter caribou hides are such good insulators that one can sleep on them in the snow with skin side down and not melt the snow). Thinking back on those I've immediately field skinned and quartered at below freezing temps, I'm kinda leaning toward the opinion that maybe they were a bit tougher. But then, they don't get properly "aged" generally either.

Above freezing temps are a whole 'nother matter, and depends on how much above freezing it is.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by las

Above freezing temps are a whole 'nother matter, and depends on how much above freezing it is.

Therein lies the problem. I hunt the muzzy season, and even though i'm at timberline (11,300 ft) It can be warm, and I hunt alone. My goal is to get the meat out as fast as possible. I don't need to camp, because I live in the unit I hunt, so getting the meat back to my Jeep as fast as possible is important.

I have no option but to bone it fast, and get hiking. Tough or not. I eat it all.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 10/29/13.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
At that altitude, I've had success during the ML season leaving the bone in and hanging it in the shade for a few days. No matter how warm it is during the day, it'll be cold enough at night to cool the meat well and as long as it stays in the shade during the day it's fine. This year I killed my bull Monday morning and packed out the last of the meat Thursday morning, it was fine. Each day when I'd take down some meat to bone out, it was cold enough to make my hands ache and force me to take breaks to warm them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a bad idea. I was always worried about another hunter coming along, and inviting himself to some meat.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I wasn't too worried about that, it didn't take me three days for nothing grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sure sounds better than trying to do it the same day. I'm too old for that anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doing it AK style.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Button buck like that bones to about #45.

Hung a doe off the ground on Sunday. Should have taken pics of that. Oh, well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Doing it CO style:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just caught this thread. Interesting. The bull I shot this year has both - a quarter with bone in (first trip down the mountain) and a quarter boned after having set for 3-4 hours. All meat has been in my cooler on ice since day 1. I'll mark the packages - bone in/bone out and see if I can tell the difference. I've usually left bone in when transporting with horse but de-bone when it goes on my back. I don't recall a difference. We'll see this year.

BTW: I normally use the smokepole method on elk. Shoot, quarter, hang, go get the horse.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nah, that's not the "smokepole" method, my method is much more streamlined, I eliminate a step. You don't have to go get the horse, because he's standing right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quarters are 'posed to look like this, in CO.

[Linked Image]

Natives, whack the lower legs off.....

Since there is nothing edible on them, they get left in the field as an ol' injun spirit-appeasement, good-luck kinda offering.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 8MMX57JS, 8 invisible), 863 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,113
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.