Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
270 Titus ballistics don't work on deer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
yes Welcome and also "your gun sucks and your holding it wrong".

Jimmy P ,

if we would all just copy and paste that one, we could speed up about half of the threads on the Campfire. Thanks for the help! grin

and Thanks for the laugh!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
SanCal, how many deer have you killed?

How many have you killed RL? Hell, while we're at it, how many PEOPLE have you killed?

This bears repeating. Only a mofo as dumb as locoweed could be silly enough to think that the number of deer a poster has killed (of unknown size) would be, in any way, applicable to the discussion on a new cartridges' ballistics. What a simpleton. Be advised montanans, this dumbass might build a YOUR house next.

This bears repeating. Only a mofo as dumb as TAK could be silly enough to think that the number of people a poster has killed (of any size) would be, in any way, applicable to any reasonable discussion on the Fire. What a simpleton.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
SanCal, how many deer have you killed?

How many have you killed RL? Hell, while we're at it, how many PEOPLE have you killed?

This bears repeating. Only a mofo as dumb as locoweed could be silly enough to think that the number of deer a poster has killed (of unknown size) would be, in any way, applicable to the discussion on a new cartridges' ballistics. What a simpleton. Be advised montanans, this dumbass might build a YOUR house next.

This bears repeating. Only a mofo as dumb as TAK could be silly enough to think that the number of people a poster has killed (of any size) would be, in any way, applicable to any reasonable discussion on the Fire. What a simpleton.

Of COURSE it doesn't dumbazz, that is the entire point. Limbaugh's "Demonstrating absurdity by being absurd" is the teaching point, at least for those who can find their own azz with both hands. You are a "trained observer" huh?

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Foxbat
As Constructor said, it's just a wildcat, but wildcats are cool.

That they are, and free information from the fellow doing the work is always interesting.

WRONG, everybody is supposed to take their lead from [bleep] like Headjob and Locoweed, and be a RUDE mofo and type all sorts of inane, impertinent [bleep] when he shows up.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You know you're stupid when you wish your AR was a .270.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This 270AR is pushing the envelope of an unmodified AR-15. That is where it is of interest to those who are interested in getting everything out of an AR that they can. As Constructor said, it's just a wildcat, but wildcats are cool, especially when they are viewed within the constraints of the platform for which they are intended.

Its not an unmodified AR15 either though...
The .800 series bolts are .800 in dia where a AR15 bolt is .750. The lugs at the root are wider than a AR10 bolt and they are made from 9310 where AR10 bolts are 8620. During the destruction lab test in 2009 the Armalite AR10 bolt broke before the 800 series did. The bottom lugs are clearanced because they stick down further than a AR15 bolt. If there wasn't .025" taken off the tips they would catch the 30 degree shoulder on the cartridge in the mag. Where the root of the lug attaches to the body of the bolt is where the strength is not out on the tip. The reason it is mentioned is so anyone seeing the flat spot on those 2 lugs may understand why it is there.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM

Its not an unmodified AR15 either though...
The .800 series bolts are .800 in dia where a AR15 bolt is .750. The lugs at the root are wider than a AR10 bolt and they are made from 9310 where AR10 bolts are 8620. During the destruction lab test in 2009 the Armalite AR10 bolt broke before the 800 series did. The bottom lugs are clearanced because they stick down further than a AR15 bolt. If there wasn't .025" taken off the tips they would catch the 30 degree shoulder on the cartridge in the mag. Where the root of the lug attaches to the body of the bolt is where the strength is not out on the tip. The reason it is mentioned is so anyone seeing the flat spot on those 2 lugs may understand why it is there.

Sure it is, only the bolt/barrel is different. It doesn't require a modified upper receiver like the .30 Rem AR or .458 SOCOM.

Instead, like the Grendel, 6.8spc, 7.62x40, .204Ruger, .300blk etc., you can just swap the barrel and/or bolt and have a completely different round using the same upper and lower receivers as a .223/5.56.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Sure it is, only the bolt/barrel is different. It doesn't require a modified upper receiver like the .30 Rem AR or .458 SOCOM.

Instead, like the Grendel, 6.8spc, 7.62x40, .204Ruger, .300blk etc., you can just swap the barrel and/or bolt and have a completely different round using the same upper and lower receivers as a .223/5.56.

Why on God's green earth would you trade a .223 for any of that crap?

Suppressed crowd excluded of course...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by deflave

Why on God's green earth would you trade a .223 for any of that crap?

Suppressed crowd excluded of course...

Travis

6.8 has become the hog rifle of choice in states with large hog populations.

And yeah, if you want to use a suppressor, .223 borders on worthless...... 6.8 or .300 Fireball/Blackout are your tools.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Those hogs must be tough little critters.

Travis

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Those hogs must be tough little critters.

Travis

200-250lb is common. There is a big difference in how quick the hogs go down between a 5.56 and the 6.8. Many southern states consider them a nuisance, no limit, open season year around. When he guys are hunting hogs at night with night vision and thermal they want to hogs to drop quick. They use ARs because they can take a quick followup shot or shoot several hogs.

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I can see a .223 being a little weak on a critter THAT big.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone should find that pic of the 3 hogs Ltpowell lined up and poleaxed with a single TSX...

I reckon they would have been more deader with a 270 AR SPR

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
270 Titus ballistics don't work on deer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle fireball!!

Who did your stock?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Someone should find that pic of the 3 hogs Ltpowell lined up and poleaxed with a single TSX...

grin

Woman died from a single BB to the heart a few years ago. No need for 9mm or 5.56, we should arm our infantry with .17 caliber Crossman pellet guns.

I've killed hundreds of hogs with .223's, .44 mags, 30-06, .270win, 7mm-08 and 6.8spc.

They all kill them, just some work a little better when one isn't hanging their experience on internet tales and anecdotal 2nd hand evidence.

Most hog hunting in Florida is on the edge of palmettos and cypress heads. If you don't drop them right the $%#^ now, you likely won't find them until the buzzards bird dog em 2 days later.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

grin

Woman died from a single BB to the heart a few years ago. No need for 9mm or 5.56, we should arm our infantry with .17 caliber Crossman pellet guns.

I've killed hundreds of hogs with .223's, .44 mags, 30-06, .270win, 7mm-08 and 6.8spc.

They all kill them, just some work a little better when one isn't hanging their experience on internet tales and anecdotal 2nd hand evidence.

Most hog hunting in Florida is on the edge of palmettos and cypress heads. If you don't drop them right the $%#^ now, you likely won't find them until the buzzards bird dog em 2 days later.

Have hunted same areas IE swamps for deer and pigs more than a few times. With the AR in 223. Never had an issue. You shoot, go find the blood trail and follow it.
I have no clue why folks make a big deal of it.
If I want em DRT I don't rely on trying larger calibers, I just CNS them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I know you love the .223, Rost.

You hunt with the cartridge of your choice and I'll hunt with mine.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, but neither of us has the definitive answer.

I've actually probably killed as many with Ruger MK1 22LR pistol as with the AR in 223....I"ve shot a few with 6mm WOA in the AR.

Bought a 50 beowulf for DRT. Have yet to do a DRT with that big round. Especially with pigs.

Hence choose a good bullet, put it where it needs to be is more important than caliber choice for many instances.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,667
Posts18,513,075
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.