Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take the shot I'm given, be it lung or shoulder. Preference is towards lung

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I high shouldered a bull with 105 Amax.
Didn't take another step.
A.I. of course. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You showboater.. Betting you just took the head?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. Somehow I'm just not worried about shooting a whitetail with a 95 Bal Tip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
showboater..

Does the A.I. make me one?
I'm lovin it....

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Boxer
550yd wayward Buck,caught sniffin' [bleep] this afternoon. 105Hornie HPBT...exit side of the equation,ala LFB.

Shoulders B Gone Spray.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Couldn'ta taken a step,if he wanted too...all of which was by design.

Hint.

Larry,

I love the looks of those blacktails you shoot up there. Someday I hope. How do the Horny's hold up at close range? Wondering about trying them in the kids 243. our average shots are feet to maybe 150 yds through the woods

Thanks

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Yep. Somehow I'm just not worried about shooting a whitetail with a 95 Bal Tip.

Don't tell anyone , but I know of some elk that died due to the 95 BT.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never seen nor heard of a deer hit well with a 243 getting away, regardless of bullet. I shot core-locts and powerpoints when I was a youngster out of a 243, all hits just rear of shoulder, animals down either immediately or within 10 steps, no exits, ranges to 200 yds. Seemed as uncomplicated as it gets to me then.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've never seen nor heard of a deer hit well with a 243 getting away, regardless of bullet. I shot core-locts and powerpoints when I was a youngster out of a 243, all hits just rear of shoulder, animals down either immediately or within 10 steps, no exits, ranges to 200 yds. Seemed as uncomplicated as it gets to me then.

You nailed it. It IS uncomplicated. I've started carrying my 243 Mountain more the last few years. Mostly because my youngest is up and hunting,and we sometimes only have one rifle with us. The 243. I've said it before. Take a look at the young guns success photos in any of the major hunting publications. All sorts of kids killing all sorts of critters. A LOT of them using various 243s. If it's good enough for first timers,it's well capable in experienced hands. Light report,next to nothing for recoil,accurate.What's not to like? Put a good bullet in the C.N.S. or boiler room and get the knife.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shhhh...the wives may find out we only need one rifle!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 243 will absolutely work well on deer. My wife used one for years. She has taken just about as many deer as I have. Just use the right bullet. No light weight, light jacketed varmint bullets. Two years ago at my BIL's hunting in the Nebraska National Forest, had a 3X3 appear, not moving right, put him down. Had been hit right on the shoulder knuckle, baseball size chunk missing bones and joint busted up. No idea what caliber, no penetration and a wounded deer soon to die deer. I am not a fan of the 223/5.56 for deer, but with a good bullet and some accuracy they will and do work. Just pick the right bullet. As to shoulder shots I do not like them, they can ruin meat. I will how ever take a shot that is offered if I need to.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 243Win steps along briskly enough,that it'll quickly sort good from bad and I've had more than a few 6mm projectiles zook ala "lowly" SAAMI 243. All boolits ain't equal and the sooner one realizes that,the better off he'll be...both in the long and short term.

105HPBT at 65yds this afternoon at Warp Nine via LFB.

[Linked Image]

Aerated lungs will make EVERYTHING travel,broke bones will freeze same in place.

Such choices is easy.

Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the deal with the YELLOW tape??

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That's how to tell which is the dangerous end.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The last deer I shot with a 100 C&C bullet (almost thirty years ago) was a high shoulder shot. The bullet blew into what some have called "copper and lead dust." One of those fragments hit the spinal cord, so the deer went down on the spot. I saw what happened when I butchered the buck myself.

A friend used only 95 NP. Even though the 100 NP was a semi spitzer back then, I opted for the heavier version. Later I got the 100 in a spitzer form when Nosler came out with them. At the time TSX had not been introduced, and I don't think the Nosler SB had been redesigned as a hunting bullet just yet. The Partition has worked well for me on deer, but it shoots 3 inches higher than my 70 grain coyote load. Perhaps the TSX would shoot closer to that point of aim, reason enough to try some, and by reputation, they work just fine.

I haven't used my .243 for deer in several years. Women, kids, and other old farts seem to be highly successful with them, so I may break the little small ring Mauser Safari out of jail and use it next week. Season opened yesterday, but we are tied up rehabbing a duplex this week end. Should finish tomorrow and can head out in a day or so.

I let a couple of really nice bucks walk last year. They should be even better this go round. They are both on family owned ranches and should still be hanging around. Weather has been good so they should be in good flesh. My helper promised me a large quantity of home made tamales if I would furnish her a deer. Deal on, less the back straps. Maybe a couple?

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Boxer - What make is that 105HPBT you use?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Boxer - What make is that 105HPBT you use?

Hornady 105HPBT

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 11/03/13.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The 243Win steps along briskly enough,that it'll quickly sort good from bad and I've had more than a few 6mm projectiles zook ala "lowly" SAAMI 243. All boolits ain't equal and the sooner one realizes that,the better off he'll be...both in the long and short term.

105HPBT at 65yds this afternoon at Warp Nine via LFB.

[Linked Image]

Aerated lungs will make EVERYTHING travel,broke bones will freeze same in place.

Such choices is easy.

Hint.

I miss that time of year there. If there is anything better than hunting those orange horn bastards, I ain't found it.

The troop still hunting the Murder Hole?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot more than a few deer and antelope with 6mm bullets in the 243 and 6mm 100 gr Horn SP and 100 gr Corelokt work well as does the 100 and 95 gr NPT. Primarily shoot double lung or if the shot is quartering away I aim for the FAR shoulder, where I hunt DRT's aren't as important as they are to some here on the fire. To me the basic key to shoulder shots is to get thru the vitals first and the shoulder on the exit , never ever saw that fail. Magnum man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A question......is the bullet referred to here the 6mm 105G Hornady A-Max? If so, I didn't realize some folks used these bullets on whitetail. If true, then a couple more questions: 1) Are you only using the heavy for caliber bullets? 2) Are you only using them for long shots as shown below?

Thanks!

550yd wayward Buck,caught sniffin' [bleep] this afternoon. 105Hornie HPBT...exit side of the equation,ala LFB.

Shoulders B Gone Spray.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Couldn'ta taken a step,if he wanted too...all of which was by design.

Hint.

HogWild
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.