Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bumped into this guy and his twin while driving a forest service road in Wyoming last week. I shoulda asked them about Berger bulllets.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bergers are considered a good long range bullet I suppose, but I consider a Partition the minimum in a grizzly situation. grin
270 Winchester with 150's and up, although I would prefer a 375 caliber myself. No I don't have any experience, just good common sense prevails IMHO.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He looks like he doesn't like you.... smile

Or maybe, he does. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He's probably trying to decide whether Royce tasted like chicken or not! laugh

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Royce
I bumped into this guy and his twin while driving a forest service road in Wyoming last week. I shoulda asked them about Berger bulllets.

[Linked Image]

I bet he was thinking , i hope he has washed his nasty ass before i chew on it

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Royce
I guess a fella could use Bergers on charging grizzlies a couple of times, and if they didn't work, he could change to something else.

I'd bet that if they didn't work there wouldn't be a second time

We know they can work if placed well. The critical question, however, is whether they work better (or even as well) as other bullets when placed into a maliciously motivated animal in less than ideal locations for that is what one can expect under the circumstances (and which is why a lot of people like the long hole idea better.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

We know they can work if placed well. The critical question, however, is whether they work better (or even as well) as other bullets when placed into a maliciously motivated animal in less than ideal locations for that is what one can expect under the circumstances (and which is why a lot of people like the long hole idea better.)

Yeah, when they're coming at you from 60 feet away (or less) and traveling at about 20-30 miles an hour through truly thick (jungle-like) brush, they don't give you much to shoot at, nor is the situation conducive to "proper shot placement".

The last two that I had to follow up after clients had wounded them, didn't provide ideal circumstance in which to dispatch them.

For example: One bear was killed only after I'd accidently shot through a 4-inch thick alder with a .375 H&H magnum loaded with 300 grain Nosler Partition bullets. That shot was fired from about 25 or 30 feet. Even still, the bear kept coming and I dropped him at about 12 feet with a shot into the end of the nose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah. Everyone nose Burgers won't penetrate knowses

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, I bet a Berger VLD would be a great bullet for penetrating a 4" thick alder, then continuing on to kill a bear. whistle

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So the new standard for hunting bullets is that they should be able to penetrate 4 inches of alder close to the muzzle and still kill the animal at whatever distance? Or is that only for people hunting in bear country?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yeah, I bet a Berger VLD would be a great bullet for penetrating a 4" thick alder, then continuing on to kill a bear. whistle

's-matter, don'tcha think a half ounce of #12 dust would dispatch old Ursus - or even a very young one- quite handily? wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I still think the best defense against bears while hunting is still to be aware of your surroundings and not just wandering into thick stuff unawares. The grizz I've come across in the wilderness were heard before seen. If there is one that has appeared close, make human noise. Scare them off. Be ready to shoot. In the face or neck if you can. If you can't shoot straight, maybe it's best to carry a DG gun with DG bullets. I believe mental preparation is far more important than bullet, cartridge, gun. Our big brains are what have allowed us to make it this long as a race.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your another one who thinks all attacks come with a warning! Well my friend your wrong.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

's-matter, don'tcha think a half ounce of #12 dust would dispatch old Ursus - or even a very young one- quite handily? wink

shocked

Shooting through brush is one of the realities of hunting. Not something a guy plans for, but it happens!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 60n148w
Your another one who thinks all attacks come with a warning! Well my friend your wrong.

I don't see where you're gotten that. All bear attacks come from bears. Once again, the OP was talking about deer/elk hunting, so we aren't talking about crawling through stuff where you can only see for feet. I do know that it is possible to sense a bear before he's chewing on me, and I do know that the best thing I can do, regardless of gun, cartridge, bullet, or lack thereof, is to be AWARE OF MY SURROUNDINGS, and if bears are a concern, I should probably not put myself in situations where I'd be at quite a disadvantage. If I haven't done these things, and then rely on a firearm to save my ass, then I get what I deserve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A cut load of 7 1/2's will blow through a 4" thick Alder. It will also blow through a steel 50 gallon drum at 50 yards

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

A cut load of 7 1/2's will blow through a 4" thick Alder. It will also blow through a steel 50 gallon drum at 50 yards

Are you talking about 'hillbilly slugs', where you score the case along the base of the wad, leaving a sliver attached?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We need to send out a grizzly amber alert to all those deer and elk hunters out there today with .270s loaded with Core Lokts and Power points.
OMG, what if they have Bergers?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I never gave it a thunk either, 'till my first face to face encounter...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Are you talking about 'hillbilly slugs', where you score the case along the base of the wad, leaving a sliver attached?

Yep

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (264mag, 219 Wasp, 2five7, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,825
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.