Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You are one of those people that will just.never.get.it.

No matter how much we explain. You just won't. It's a fact of life. I used to think that if you just pointed out common sense to people like you that they would understand eventually but I've come to realize that there is just no talking sense to some people. They think the complete opposite of the norm and are incapable of seeing things the way normal people do.

It's a waste of energy and a waste of time to even try.

Good Luck to you Ringman

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mature doe..the only thing mature on that doe is that it doesn't have spots.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You are one of those people that will just.never.get.it.

No matter how much we explain. You just won't. It's a fact of life. I used to think that if you just pointed out common sense to people like you that they would understand eventually but I've come to realize that there is just no talking sense to some people. They think the complete opposite of the norm and are incapable of seeing things the way normal people do.

It's a waste of energy and a waste of time to even try.

Good Luck to you Ringman

You posted several words but didn't tell me about respecting hunting or respecting animals. I am still waiting for a cogent lesson on either of these "respects."

Thanks for wishing me good luck. Next Saturday is the beginning of elk season for me so thank you. I filled two buck tags and one doe tag this year.

I am delighted with my new rifle. It is very light and sure seems to be a game getter. I used to have a light rifle, but a gunsmith sawed it in two right in front of the trigger guard.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
How about this
Respect for the animal means not putting gruesome pictures on the Internet for anyone to see. It's like being up by 7 touchdowns and spiking the football and doing a dance in the end zone when you score again. Just not necessary and lacking respect and class

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How about this
Respect for the animal means not putting gruesome pictures on the Internet for anyone to see. It's like being up by 7 touchdowns and spiking the football and doing a dance in the end zone when you score again. Just not necessary and lacking respect and class

Respecting an animal is not posting a gruesome photo on the 'net? I think the antis think all hunting photos are gruesome. That antis care is some of the argument here.

This has been a very interesting thread. It reminds me of the reactions here when a guy posted a video of killing either a deer or an elk with a spear. I thought is was really cool, but just like here the chickification reared its ugly head. My wife said about this thread that these guys need to go to their rooms and read the story of Bambi.

Thanks for taking a stab at helping me understand the respecting animals thing. It seems it has nothing to do with the animal in question but the posters on the 'net.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, your wife is as phuggin' nutty as you and I'm glad she's given you affirmation - you're a match made in heaven.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You were worried about not using the tag after shooting 2 bucks already confused

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
How about this

Respecting an animal is not posting a gruesome photo on the 'net? I think the antis think all hunting photos are gruesome. That antis care is some of the argument here.

This has been a very interesting thread. It reminds me of the reactions here when a guy posted a video of killing either a deer or an elk with a spear. I thought is was really cool, but just like here the chickification reared its ugly head. My wife said about this thread that these guys need to go to their rooms and read the story of Bambi.

Thanks for taking a stab at helping me understand the respecting animals thing. It seems it has nothing to do with the animal in question but the posters on the 'net.

You are welcome??

Its not the anti's that matter. It is the large portion of the population that is indifferent, until they see a picture like that. Same reason i didnt post a picture of the pile of 35 does that two friends and i killed in two afternoons on a cull hunt a couple of years ago

Tell you what - why dont you take the picture down and think about it a couple days. Let the naturally defensive reaction wear off and think about the 35-40 other opinions you have heard on this thread. If you still dont understand, put the picture back up

Or, just keep dancing in the end zone while the rest of your team and the stadium looks on in disgust

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I am with Ringman on this one. If you want to see gore, go to our very own Varmint hunting forum and check it out. Little cottontail rabbits (THUMPER!) Blown to bits by 45's and such, ground squirrels blown to bits with parts flying in every direction including straight up, lots of gory stuff.

The post was about the effects of hypervelocity and it made the point rather well. I once posted a photo here of a mule deer buck whose entire on side, from brisket to withers, was solid purple from hydraulic overload which is always my goal with any rifle load and bullet combo. Not because I want to see gore, but because I want the very humane DRT or Bangflop kill as oft as I can get it. WHAT difference does it make if it is a skewered squirrel flying through the air, an entirely purple ribcage on a buck from a 6/284 or this picture!?!?!?!?

No, I wouldn't want this photo in my living room as a decorative item, but then most of my dead deer photos don't qualify, either.

I seriously doubt that this doe ever heard the shot that killed here. I see that as a perfect kill. And I can handle the phot ever since I started wearing big boy pants about 50 years ago. We are hunters, we kill stuff, sometimes it ain't pretty and velocity has its own special way of making death happen more quickly and more surely than not so fast numbers.

And I saw nor heard any end zone dance in the thread, only a display of the effects of velocity for our benefit. Learn from it (Best practices) or not (Stay stuck in the 308/30/06 mud), but the picture is only a demo, not a brag shot.

And a damned fine demo, at that!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it is interesting seeing what a 257 85 grain will do in the case of a frontal head shot. I have never shot a deer looking at me. I did shot a cow elk which was looking at me. I shot the elk with a 300 wby mag 180 grain bullet. The results were similar to the results on the deer.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
safariman, the pics of blown up ground squirrels was my first thought also. Why is it that many hunters are repulsed by the pic of this deer yet find humor in a blown up ground squirrel?

I think it is the result of the value we place on them. A deer is a beautiful creature that we love to see, watch and learn about and eat. A qround squirrel, while cute to some, is more often seen as a pest. Something to be eradicated.

I think the op is seeking some sort of gratification in annoying most of us at the campfire and his juvenile behavior has been rewarded.

I am guilty of hypocrisy myself in the value I place on some animals. I have reverence for the life of the deer I harvest, yet when a corn eating, feeder destroying pig shows up I don't care how it's killed as long as it's killed.

That said, I'm not going to post pics of any pig carnage I may inflict. It all boils down to reverence for life itself IMHO.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Some folks go out of their way to conceal a bullet hole for a field photo, some people go out of their way to capture the angle that best displays an eyeball hanging out of it's socket on an exploded snout shot doe.

Personally I'm somewhere in between those two extremes but I'm definitely closer to the non gore side of the spectrum.

I might not always remember to make sure the tongue isn't hanging out the mouth on a photo of one of the kids with their first deer... But I do make an effort in all the excitement.

It's a culture thing.

Photos like the OP posted are prime anti fuel, they will take that chit and run with it. It really helps their case.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ringman--

Just take the photo down!!!

You got your attention here.

That is all you wanted.

Please think about what you did before you use that .257 on the Elk hunt coming up.

Velocity/bullet performance my A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dumb Ph...ck!! (sorry I just couldn't type this without getting pi$$ed off again.)

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

And I can handle the phot ever since I started wearing big boy pants about 50 years ago. We are hunters, we kill stuff, sometimes it ain't pretty and velocity has its own special way of making death happen more quickly and more surely than not so fast numbers.

Big boy pants? You honestly think this is about handling some gore? This is about a single word - respect. Respect for a big-game animal, life, and, death.

The number of posts proclaiming disdain for the photo, shows there's a plethora of fine folks with deep appreciation, admiration and respect for this big game animal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey safariman, I can handle some gore. We liberated Kuwait city in 91, I was a boy when we got there, a gung ho 20 yr old USMC E3.
The Iraqis occupied Kuwait city and they slaughtered men women and children for fun. Raped, tortured, dismembered and heaped in mixed piles of body parts from children and mothers, store keepers, cab drivers, grandparents. What they did to that city was beyond obscene, the devil himself couldn't have done worse. We took in over 100,000 Iraqi POWs. The Iraqis that didn't surrender, the ones that ran or fought us... we killed every one of them. We slaughtered them for what they did to that city, It was revenge, it was an extermination of evil and I took pictures of a lot of it afterwards. Horrible pictures.

As I packed my bags to leave that theater 6 months later.... I made the easy decision to toss those photos in the trash. I didn't want them coming home with me, I didn't want any of that coming home with me. It's in the grey matter inside my brain housing. I've got those images upstairs whether I like it or not. I was a boy when we got there, but I left there a man. I realized that the photos were in poor taste, I decided that I didn't want anybody back home to see what we saw, to see what was done there. We went to war, we performed war tasks, and now it was time to shut up about it and go home. Suddenly I understood why my grandfather wouldn't talk about the battle of Okinawa in WWII.

I put my big boy pants on and tossed that chit in the trash on my way out of the country.

So don't talk to me about big boy pants as if there is some correlation between displaying carnage/gore and being a man.

Maybe I misinterpreted your message, we've never crossed words before so I'm hopeful this is the case.

Something clever here.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
safariman,

Thanks for the reality response. The hypocrisy here is amazing. I posted the photos of the two wounds and yet everyone flips out about no respect for the doe. The buck was shot so that the bullet grazed the near back leg and exited in the chest as indicated in the second photo. It disappeared upon firing. About two minutes later it came dragging its hindquarters out of the dense brush only to be shot in the chest from the side. It didn't die for about two minutes after the first bullet hit it. Like you said, the doe was dead before it hit the ground.

Only one person tried to inform me about respect for animals. I respect my dad. Respecting an animal makes no sense to me.

There was no bragging in the post. Maybe I could brag about a twenty yard shot, but I don't see any room for that. Occasionally we all encounter "dumb" animals. Sometimes they are spectacular specimens of the species. If I was going to brag I would post my essay "Making of a Rifleman". I used to shoot five days a week on my range when I got home from work. How many here have fire three shots, off hand, into a 1 1/4" group at 100 yards? How many here would be disappointed with an offhand 2 1/2" group at 100 yards? It takes a good rifle with a good trigger (mine was set at fifteen ounces) and lots of practice.

I could brag about finally getting a lightweight Weatherby, restocking it (Lone Wolf), rebarreling it (Pac-Nor 26"), installing a new trigger (Timney set at 20 oz), installing a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 (which took four tries before I kept one) in Burris Signature rings, but I don't because I saved and saved and saved to have enough money to put it together.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It isn't so much respect for the animal, more it has to do with respect for life, for death, for others.....

The pic? I wouldn't have posted, but I would taken it and filed it in my more macabre picture album.... that all two or so pics gets gets purged every 6 months.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some don't have enough conscious to even consider thinking like that. It's all about them. I can do this, I can do that. I can do whatever I want.

Payback is often a bitch.

Last edited by battue; 11/06/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a guy working for me that had been over during the gulf war, was close enough that the day after the turkey shoot on the highway of death got there and shot pictures of the aftermath while it was still fresh and smoldering. BSing one day he told me a bit while talking about other stuff. A few days later he walks in with three albums of the pics he had taken, offering to show me, warning me ahead of time. After looking at them another guy comes in and reached to see, I put my hand on top and looked at hi and asked if he really wanted to look at war carnage... he didn't..

Would have been showing respect for others if the OP had asked if anyone wanted to see a baby with its eyes blown out of its skull, instead of a large slamming pic for shock effect. Then plays his game, like a childish attn whore.

OP - GFY, and definitely NOT in a good way.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
safariman,

Thanks for the reality response. The hypocrisy here is amazing. I posted the photos of the two wounds and yet everyone flips out about no respect for the doe. The buck was shot so that the bullet grazed the near back leg and exited in the chest as indicated in the second photo. It disappeared upon firing. About two minutes later it came dragging its hindquarters out of the dense brush only to be shot in the chest from the side. It didn't die for about two minutes after the first bullet hit it. Like you said, the doe was dead before it hit the ground.

Only one person tried to inform me about respect for animals. I respect my dad. Respecting an animal makes no sense to me.

There was no bragging in the post. Maybe I could brag about a twenty yard shot, but I don't see any room for that. Occasionally we all encounter "dumb" animals. Sometimes they are spectacular specimens of the species. If I was going to brag I would post my essay "Making of a Rifleman". I used to shoot five days a week on my range when I got home from work. How many here have fire three shots, off hand, into a 1 1/4" group at 100 yards? How many here would be disappointed with an offhand 2 1/2" group at 100 yards? It takes a good rifle with a good trigger (mine was set at fifteen ounces) and lots of practice.

I could brag about finally getting a lightweight Weatherby, restocking it (Lone Wolf), rebarreling it (Pac-Nor 26"), installing a new trigger (Timney set at 20 oz), installing a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 (which took four tries before I kept one) in Burris Signature rings, but I don't because I saved and saved and saved to have enough money to put it together.

You could brag? You just did you hippocrate. Don't for one minute think you're right in all this, because another member agrees with you. His whole argument was weak, and pointless.

You don't become right, because someone else does it too.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 17,204 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,872
Posts18,537,861
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
2 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.