Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gerry1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Just yer average 99R, 24" barrel with 1/14" twist. Loads w/Hornady 75gr HP shoots great; .75"-1.25" groups @100yds all day long. Trying to come up with a deer load using 100gr bullets with no luck. Nosler Partitions, Hornady SP Interlocks, PRVI PSP's, loaded w/different powders, low and max loads out of loading manuals, all suck. Nothing works; can't hardly keep 'em on cardboard @100yds. Moved target in to 50yds and can't hardly keep group on paper. No key holing; just LARGE groups. Apparently I need the 87gr bullets for this rifle. Do NOT want varmint bullets. What is a good 87gr bullet suitable for deer? Thank you for any help!

No such thing as Ex-Marine, same goes for Postal.......
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Speer hot-cors.

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gerry1
Just yer average 99R, 24" barrel with 1/14" twist. Loads w/Hornady 75gr HP shoots great; .75"-1.25" groups @100yds all day long. Trying to come up with a deer load using 100gr bullets with no luck. Nosler Partitions, Hornady SP Interlocks, PRVI PSP's, loaded w/different powders, low and max loads out of loading manuals, all suck. Nothing works; can't hardly keep 'em on cardboard @100yds. Moved target in to 50yds and can't hardly keep group on paper. No key holing; just LARGE groups. Apparently I need the 87gr bullets for this rifle. Do NOT want varmint bullets. What is a good 87gr bullet suitable for deer? Thank you for any help!

An 87 grain bullet will kill deer size game till the cows come home. 13 grains in bullet will mean absolutely nothing to a deer laying dead on the ground. As I have said before. I use the 87 grain Hornady spire point with NEVER a failure of any type. I have 600 or so Speer 87 grain hot cores to use when my Hornadys are gone. So I will at some point, make the switch. Best of luck with your shooting.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LBK do you know if the older Speers that don't say Hot Cor but just 87 grain spitzer are the same as the Hot Cors?

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To add to Roy's question...
Are the new deep curls OK?

Brian

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
LBK do you know if the older Speers that don't say Hot Cor but just 87 grain spitzer are the same as the Hot Cors?

Sh*it.........I lost my reply.

So again. To answer your question. No I do not know for sure. There is a phase in Speer's manufacturing process where they do something that bonds the core to the jacket. Someone more versed in Speer bullets will chime in, hopefully. smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Welcome, Gerry. It's all about the length of those 100grain bullets. Length, not weight determines whether a certain rate of twist will stabilize a bullet. Search for a 100grain bullet with a round-ish nose and a length approaching that of the standard 87grain spitzers, and you should then have a bullet that will at least give you decent accuracy. Or just follow these other fellows advice and load 87 grainers and go forth and slay deer.

I fell into a small stash of old 75grain .228" bullets for the HiPower recently. They are a blunt round nose design, and their length is actually a skinch shorter than the 70 grain Speers that work so well. Accuracy with them is exceptional in a rifle that is notorious for inaccuracy with "modern" 70 grain spitzers, due to their relatively short length. I wish I knew who made them so I could scout out some more.

Have you actually measured your twist? Could be it is even slower than 1-14. Those barrels from the "olden days" were done on Pratt&Whitney sine bar machines which depended as much on the operators skill as well as his attentiveness to give repeatable results. We all know what happens in shops at 3:20PM on a Friday afternoon...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
87 g Speer hot-cor is the way to go. I shoot 'em in a 10 twist ... magical little projectiles.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roy, odds are that those old Speers are standard cup and core and would do well on deer. Probably won't do as well on average as the Hot Cores, which should hold together better to get more penetration.

Brian, the only Deep Curls I see in 25 caliber on Speer's site are 120gr, which will NOT shoot in old 99's due to the length. I did get confirmation from Speer that at some point they plan on all Hot Cores being replaced with Deep Curls, and if they produce an 87gr Deep Curl then there's no reason it should be any longer than the current Hot Core and should be fine. Won't know until it happens tho.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Gerry1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you Gentlemen for your responses; you gave me what I was looking for. Y'all are my Brothers!
I did pick up a box of Hornady 87gr SP this morning and promptly went to work on a suitable load. And,yes, I had already measured the barrel at a 14" twist. Everything fell into place with the 87gr bullet and I quickly moved the target out to 100 yds and promptly started plunking them tiny bullets into the target center in 1.5" groups which will do nicely for now. I went with a 2.555" COAL for starters. That put the bullet all the way into the case neck for a solid cartridge. Setting the bullet any deeper would only take it into the "combustion chamber". I most likely will fine tune it later but I needed a good load quickly to take to the U.P. Leaving Monday for a Hunting Trip with some old comrades. Love me them old firearms to hunt with too. I always take the .300 Savage I picked up some 30 years ago and look forward to spending some time in the woods with the "new" 250-3000 now too. Guess I'll leave the 45-70 home this year. I'll take a Model 12 or maybe a Parker or Elsie along for some grouse hunting before opening day.
Thank you all again for pointing me in the right direction

Gerry

No such thing as Ex-Marine, same goes for Postal.......
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good luck Gerry!

LOL

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,057 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,548
Posts18,510,226
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.