Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I've owned a LOT of hiking kit, and I was always good at figuring out when/how stuff/people etc was/were [bleep] up, which is one reason I'm still alive. Annoying? Probably. Know-it-all? I've consistently scored 2+ standard deviations above normal on damn near every sort of psychometric evaluation I've ever sat for.

BTW, anything I've written about stoves would take about 20min of google-fu on Backpacking Light to confirm. I've read a lot and hiked the AT in the Southeast and talked to numerous hikers at shelters about their stoves. Current Jetboils are a vast improvement over the originals, they fell out of favor PDQ on the AT until they got the bugs worked out. They still suffer from not being able to use a windscreen, just like any other vertical butane stove. The JB Helios I've never used and don't know anyone who has, the people I know look at weights before they buy stuff.

Man, asking questions in the southeast and reading online.

It's no wonder you never have pics. Just do us all a favor and STFU. It's obvious you don't do schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

It's no wonder you never have pics. Just do us all a favor and STFU.

I'm stayin' JUST FOR YOU ICE! GFY.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Travis lives in Montana, a notoriously windy state with some high elevations. I'd trust, and like to hear his review of the jetboil sol ti. My interest is peaked.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
I used a SP Giga and tiny Montbell Ti post on and off, but was never satisfied with it.

When Jetboil brought out its Sol Ti a few years back, I got one and haven't looked back.

How does it work for you in wind and at elevation?

I've been eyeing these for a bit

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I ended up with the SUMO Ti due to my son going with me a lot now.

I've used the Gigas and the alcohol stoves and the wood stoves and Pocket Rocket and the Whisperlite and probably some more and they all had something in common. They were either something I didn't want to [bleep] with because it was cold, wet and I was tired, or they were a bit more unstable than I care for. Also, grabbing the pots required a towel, rag, or pliers.

With the Jetboil you simply boil the water, and grab the pot. I don't know how it boils water as fast as it does, nor do I care. It makes a hot meal muy pronto and it is not heavy.

I have also used it in floored tents with next to zero concern and that is something I can't say for some of the other stoves I've used.

The need for a windscreen appears to be nonexistent at this point and I can tell you if you're using a Windpro style stove you'll find using a windscreen is about as much fun as sticking a fork in your eye when the wind is approaching 30mph.

While I would not consider myself an uber-experienced backpacker I would say that anybody making claims the Windpro "will spank" a Jetboil, obviously has likely never used a Jetboil and certainly has not owned one.

I've used mine at 10,000ish and had zero problems.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I'm stayin' JUST FOR YOU ICE! GFY.

Sure thing, chubs.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My kid has been joining me as well. Stability is an important thing to me so the part about using it in the tent without worry is a major selling point for me.

Thanks for the review and GFY

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If stability and children are involved, avoid alcohol stoves. Cause when you play kick the can with one of those [bleep] it gets pretty exciting.

Happy New Year and GFY.

Travis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My pocket rocket hasn't let me down yet, and I still think it's cooler than [bleep] that I can cook a can of chunky soup whilst tucked in glassing alpine. I'm sure somebody has made a better version of it, but until mine fails, I'll probably keep rolling with what I have.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
My kid has been joining me as well. Stability is an important thing to me so the part about using it in the tent without worry is a major selling point for me.

Using any stove in a floored nylon tent ain't overly bright. That is what they make vestibules for, and also a stove with a lower profile is advantageous in a vestibule to keep the burner away from the sidewall. I would light it outside, in the rain if necessary and bring inside anyway. I use a hammock with a tarp so I just sit my fat azz on my hammock and place my stove on the ground with no worries.

As for alcohol stoves, the Caldera Cone is quite stable, but in 30 mph winds the whole thing could blow over in the wind as it weighs just about nothing. I have yet to see a "kick-proof" stove, alcohol or otherwise. Alcohol stoves work great for shorter trips if you don't actually cook, IE freezer-bag/water boiling is all you do. Two folks need two alcohol stoves. A father-son is better off with a cannister setup.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Whatchew talkin' bout, Willis?

I scored 3 standard deviations above the norm, but I never sat for a test. Didn't take me long enough to sit down.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Using any stove in a floored nylon tent ain't overly bright. That is what they make vestibules for, and also a stove with a lower profile is advantageous in a vestibule to keep the burner away from the sidewall. I would light it outside, in the rain if necessary and bring inside anyway. I use a hammock with a tarp so I just sit my fat azz on my hammock and place my stove on the ground with no worries.

As for alcohol stoves, the Caldera Cone is quite stable, but in 30 mph winds the whole thing could blow over in the wind as it weighs just about nothing. I have yet to see a "kick-proof" stove, alcohol or otherwise. Alcohol stoves work great for shorter trips if you don't actually cook, IE freezer-bag/water boiling is all you do. Two folks need two alcohol stoves. A father-son is better off with a cannister setup.

Sometimes one doesn't have a choice but to boil in the tent TAK. And when you find yourself in those situations, the JetBoil can really shine. But of course when you're in weather that calls for a hammock, you know you're really in some rough country.

And you are correct TAK, there are no kick-proof stoves. However an alcohol stove turns into a ball of flame, where as a Jetboil turns into a can of spilled water.

Hope this helps.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't they use hammocks on Everest?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole

They work best at or above tree line.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

No, but they do in Surinam. You ever been there Willis?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm confused, amazed and thankful .........
How it is that someone who has continually interjected into a lot of threads his proclamation of well above the norm psychometric test results ad nauseam could have spent so much money on so so much gear only to come here of all places and regale me of this extraordinarily vast first hand expertise. What are the freaking odds? I have to be the luckiest dumb schit neophyte there is. Not to be a contrarian and though it may seem counter intuitive, I would also have also thought his initial gear shopping prowess would have also been above the norm as well. I'm only left with 2 conclusions, he's either a Good Samaritan, or full of it.

On an aside, Travis turned me on to the Jetboil awhile back and it's a rocking little bastid for a self contained kit to boil water in. I'm also sporting a titanium 5.4 oz. Emberlit now that goes as a companion stove in my pack on long trips when I want/need to cook or use something different.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BlackDog1

On an aside, Travis turned me on to the Jetboil awhile back and it's a rocking little bastid for a self contained kit to boil water in. I'm also sporting a titanium 5.4 oz. Emberlit now that goes as a companion stove in my pack on long trips when I want/need to cook or use something different.

Lemme see if I have this one right. I'm a dumbschidt who buys all manner of hiking kit I don't need, but you've just bought a jetboil, on the advice of a novice hiker, and also another spendy Ti stove, "just in case", and you're a smart mofo? Right? Got it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never said I was a smart mofo or that you are a dumb schit though you are doing a sporting job of proving the later. I also didn't say that the Emberlit was a "just in case" stove either. Reading comprehension apparently isn't your strong suit is it ?
Like a number of others I'm just getting tired of you telling other people their gear is crap and you have all the answers whilst shining your azz in a hammock and spending most of your days here typing about all your exploits sans the pics.
I wonder how you have managed to find the time to extensively field test such a broad expanse of kit all the while hourly regaling everyone of your vast experience.
You'd best stay in your warm winter clime next to your computer, you wouldn't last long here

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TAK,

It is very obvious you do nothing outdoors.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No, but they do in Surinam. You ever been there Willis?

Nope, but I didn't see any in Iraq. You ever been there, Carlton?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (338rcm, 1minute, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,538
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.