Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Best advice I can give you is to take whatever rcmagulia and John Burns have to say, flush it right down the toilet, and go hunting.

[bleep] funny.

Let's start with this flushable quote: "prairie_goat has a clue"

As far as being lumped in with JohnBurns on anything that has to do with shooting, it's a compliment.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Maverick940
...and yes Tanner, I've missed. Once. smile

Only one missed shot, ever?

Yep. But I've only fired a rifle twice in my life, so I feel good about my percentage. LOL.

Redhill,

You don't think being a good shot makes you a better hunter? Reminds me of the "when hunting becomes shooting" thread! Hunting and shooting are inseparable. If you can't hit what you found by hunting, you're not going to be a very successful hunter

You've changed your point of enlargement. You postulated that shooting in matches will make you a better hunter, PERIOD. Again, not even close, practice will make you a better shot but there is much more to hunting than just shooting. Hard to shoot the critters if you can't find them.....oh yeah those critter will be found on the ranges????

Easy to see that you are steel hunter....... but then again everyone has to know their limitations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maverick940,

Maybe you didn't understand part of my post. Killing is the successful part of hunting. I like to succeed no matter what the endeavor.

When I had to kill our cat because it was sick, and we were poor, I couldn't settle down for about half hour. So this time you re wrong.

If you want a discussion about want to kill, start another thread.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's also easy to see that you are TEANCUM, redhill

LOL!

Made any stellar shots on B&C Mulies at long range lately with 40 grain varmint bullets out of your .223?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's also easy to see that you are TEANCUM, redhill

LOL!

Made any stellar shots on B&C Mulies at long range lately with 40 grain varmint bullets out of your .223?

Easier to see that you are very limited, but then again for a steel hunter, how many steelies did you bag this season?, you are never in doubt but always in error. Easy read.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget the yotes. You know how much sleep guys lose when they miss one, except for Gezuz RC Khrist, since he don't miss....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
Don't forget the yotes. You know how much sleep guys lose when they miss one, except for Gezuz RC Khrist, since he don't miss....

I hear what you are saying but actually each post of his is a miss. He's been kicked off other boards with his attitude and it shouldn't be long before he is gone here also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, yes. TEANCUM.

Had any run-ins with HC lately?

The least an anonymous puke like you can do is change your avatar and location Good job hiding with a new anonymous handle though!

ROTFLMAO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best advice I can give you is to take whatever rcmagulia and John Burns have to say, flush it right down the toilet, and go hunting.

Good grief, I never even posted in the thread and you are whining about me. blush blush

A life, PG. Get yourself one that does not include me.

As for Rick, he and I did not exactly start off as bestest of buddies but we seem to have reached a mutual level of respect and I would not recommend flushing his advice, even if you don�t agree. Rick has shown in open competition that he can run with the big boys when it comes to hitting at distance.

You, on the other hand, are just another anonymous internet poster hiding behind a screen name. shocked shocked

Originally Posted by jwp475
I bet the miss had more to do with the tough position than any thing els. Look at the picture of where he shot from. No one is in disagreement about proper equipment and practice as well as proper dope and a consign indicator. No one is saying different from what I have read here.

I thought the same thing especially considering the light rifle in the big cartridge. Muzzle brakes don�t help with barrel dwell time and 7.5 lb .338 Ultras move a bunch while the bullet is in the barrel. Coats over rocks cause bounce and high shots.

Originally Posted by wildwyo
Ok, here is a situation that happened to me this fall. I was hunting a canyon and spotted this elk. The closest that it was humanly possible to get to it was 565Yds.[Linked Image][Linked Image] I shoot a gun that I am very comfortable with at that distance, is it ethical to set up for the shot?

Wiidwyo,

Very nice bull and thanks for letting us offer opinions on your shot. You did a great job with the camera to show the position of the shot.

The issues I see are the admitted limited exposure of the bull and the compromise shooting position.

A bad hit on the bull and he is out of sight and you stated you had no ability to maneuver as you had approached as close as possible. Your choice of shooting position is most likely the cause of the high shot. A bull at 565yds is over a 4 MOA target (just a hit, not the vitals) and the slight angle and 3000ft change are not going to cause a min 2 MOA high shot.

Not being judgmental just offering my opinion of the issues you faced with the shot.

Congrats on the fine bull.

Ps, Just a thought but other (lighter recoil) cartridges kill bulls real good at 565yds. Just sayin. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep worrying what the wannabee snipers think about me.

IC B3

hey JohnBurns lets see that stomper of a bull I heard you killed this year.. Or did I miss a thread you started of it?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
John, thank you for that advice. You are probably 100 percent right on the rifle combined With the coat over the rock bouncing the shot high. The rifle is a bit of a handful to shoot at times, but it kills with authority! Just this year so far it has killed 3 good bulls and a couple of cows, from 360 to 650(yards). I hear what your saying on a lighter caliber. I just had a 6.5x284 put together, but didn't have the time to get it ready for this fall.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
John,

Can you PM me the load for the 105 VLD?

Thanks,

The other guy who uses his real name.....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Why would you recommend do such? Rick is knowledgeable, he just has a way of getting under peoples skin while trying to make a point

John Burns is also very knowledgeable and has proven himself over and over shooting at distance

I would listen a bit even if I didn't care for the delivery it I were you

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Almost all outfitters these days require their hunters to punch their tag if an animal is wounded and lost, short range or long range. How many of you believe this is a good policy for all of us? (Big game only....specific exemptions for coyotes, pigs, PDs, and other vermin).

I realize that this is slightly off-topic, but I think it applies. It would certainly separate the wheat from the chaff regarding long range shooting.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It would separate the wheat from the chaff in short range hunting as well, but a bad idea for the long term hunting rites

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a bad idea for the long term hunting rites

Notice he didn't post long range. He posted long term. I agree with the post. If there is no animal to put a tag on then don't punch the tag. It is just more foolishness by a power hungry person.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Magical bedding blocks and claiming Leupold does not have serious issues with their tracking are a couple of the big reasons to put those two on ignore, I won't even get into the ethical hunting issues.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some of my more interesting shots; Bear 3 yds with a bow while still hunting, Elk 8 yds rifle, another bear 10 yards still hunting with a handgun, elk 20 yards standing in her bed while still hunting with a bow. Long shot today, 502 yards on a prairie dog. Long shot of the year 1402 yards on a marmot. Three other marmots over 1300 yards this year.
There is as much satisfaction in scoring at long range as there is successfully hunting at close range, it's just a different accomplishment.
A well rounded hunter ought to be able to shoot as well as he hunts. Out here in the west, sometimes it pays to be able to shoot at least to medium ranges... let's say 600 yards. It's really not as hard as it sounds to some people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BackCountryMulies
hey JohnBurns lets see that stomper of a bull I heard you killed this year.. Or did I miss a thread you started of it?

BCM,

Sorry but that is one rumor I wish were true. laugh

Some one beat Buck P to a big bull in Deer Creek and I mistaken got the credit. Got a general tag this year and will most likely put it on a cow.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
John,

Can you PM me the load for the 105 VLD?

Thanks,

The other guy who uses his real name.....

David,

I am shooting 50grs of Retumbo in my long throated version.

Magical bedding blocks and claiming Leupold does not have serious issues with their tracking are a couple of the big reasons to put those two on ignore, I won't even get into the ethical hunting issues.

Oh no PG is gonna put me and Rick on ignore. crazy shocked laugh laugh laugh

Cool Beans. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 39 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,607
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.