Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think Dan has a lot of custom rigs and does the work himself. I think his point is he didn't get what he paid for and the service was below par.

GB1

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dan,
<br>
<br>Dave and I don't agree on everything, but we do agree on having a custom rifle built. Case in point. I took my "long range" deer rifle to the range three weeks ago, just before I left on vacation. I figured I needed to start getting some data together so this rifle would be ready for this fall. I quickly found a promising load. After four three-shot groups that averaged .364," I decided that load was good enough and just sighted it in. This rifle is a John Rick's built 700 with 28" Pac-Nor #5. Bullets were 165 Sciroccos at 3150 fps MV. Yes, I did carefully prep the brass, but only a good rifle with a good scope (ie Leupold, sorry Dave) will provide that kind of consistency. This rifle cost me under $1200 to build, and that includes buying the donor rifle for it's action.
<br>
<br>Celt and Charlie Sisk are a couple of other rifle-builders with a good reputation.
<br>
<br>Blaine

DFC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're right denpsey, this is about NOT getting what I paid for " out of the box accuracy". I can certainly bed the rifle in short order, but why should I have to. I might have bedded it anyway, just for the hell of it. I just don't like to be lied to and lead down the garden path by some foreign smartass.
<br>
<br>
<br>Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DFC, if that Sako was a .30-06 I'd probably take it off your hands. I don't have a need and don't want a 7 STW. The way you have criticized the Sako 75 in the past over at Shooters.com, I'm surprised you bought one. What gives?
<br>
<br>

Weiners are health food - My dad
DFC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a laugh for ya, I have 2- 75's, one 22-250 and the soon to be famous 7MM STW. both are for sale or trade for Sako AV's
<br>
<br>
<br>Dan

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DFC, seems your now standing in my shoes so to speak only with a Sako instead of a Remington. It's a major pisser and I'd love to gloat on your bad luck, but the truth is it really does suck to have rifles of supposedly "known quality" need more money poured into them. Made even worse by the lack of responsibility on the manufactures part. I highly doubt that if you had the same problem with a Remington that you'd get any better service than you are from Berretta. My last 4 Remington's all need money poured in to them to get them to do what they should of done in the first place. Granted, most of it is trigger adjustments and bedding, but some of it is far more expensive like replacing the POS synthetic stocks they arrive in. I've given up on factory rifles off the shelf and it's pretty much custom rifles from here on out. Damn shame a guy has to fork over that kind of money to get a rifle that is bedded half way decent, has a remotely acceptable trigger, and a stock that is a step up from a boat paddle, but it appears they don't make them like that anymore without the aid of a good gunsmith. Good luck in your ordeal with Sako 75's.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big Sky's,
<br>
<br>A very classy post. I'm impressed!

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just get a good action of your choice and send it off to Griffin & Howe in NY and for a paltry $7,000.00 they will fit and finish the action, finish it, put it in a real pretty French Walnut stock with Horn pistol grip and end cap. All in about 2-3 years turn around!
<br>
<br>Then I bought mine from an estate and bypassed the wait and much of the Dinero.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here ya go guy's.
<br>
<br>CLASSIC FRENCH WALNUT STOCK
<br>
<br>Price $7,000.00
<br>
<br>On your action with French Walnut classic sporter stock, cheekpiece for either right or left hand shooter, ebony forend tip, Griffin & Howe pistol grip cap and quick release trigger guard. Your action will be honed and the lugs lapped. The action tang refined and bolt release checkered. All metal parts are polished and rust blued. Hand rubbed London oil finish, 22 lines per inch checkering, wrapped around top of grip, Griffin & Howe point pattern. Finished to a Griffin & Howe pad or Niedner butt plate. Douglas Premium barrel to our contour. Hand engraved with serial number, caliber and Griffin & Howe, New York on barrel.
<br>
<br>TERMS
<br>
<br>The complete Griffin & Howe Classic French Walnut stocked rifle will be delivered approximately two and a half years from the date of order.
<br>
<br>1/3 deposit with order, 1/3 upon completion "in-the-white", balance on completion.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>OPTIONAL FEATURES
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe 1/4 Rib, with standing bar, folding leaves, gold inlaid lines
<br>$975.00
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe Express Sight, with standing bar with gold line, wide "V"
<br>$500.00
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe Front Sight with 3/32" gold bead and detachable Hood
<br>$300.00
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe Barrel Band
<br>$145.00
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe quick detachable Top Mount, with 1" Rings
<br>$625.00
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe quick detachable Top Mount, with 30 mm Rings
<br>$875.00
<br>
<br>Extra Griffin & Howe Top Mount Rings - 1"
<br>$250.00
<br>
<br>Extra Griffin & Howe Top Mount Rings - 30 mm
<br>$350.00
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe quick detachable Sidemount, with 1" Rings
<br>$405.00
<br>
<br>Extra Griffin & Howe Sidemount Top Half, with 1" Rings
<br>$225.00
<br>
<br>Griffin & Howe quick detachable Sidemount, with 30 mm Rings
<br>$525.00
<br>
<br>Extra Griffin & Howe Sidemount Top Half , with 30 mm Rings
<br>$345.00
<br>
<br>Pop up Peep Sight
<br>$225.00
<br>
<br>Burnish bolt, follower, and raceway
<br>$225.00
<br>
<br>Alter bolt for low scope
<br>$150.00
<br>
<br>Furnish and fit three position safety and shroud assembly on Mausers
<br>$325.00
<br>
<br>Checkered Bolt Knob 2-panel Tear Drop
<br>$260.00
<br>
<br>Checkered Bolt Knob 5-panel with Rose Petal
<br>$475.00
<br>
<br>Trapdoor Butt Plate
<br>$100.00
<br>
<br>Trapdoor Grip Cap
<br>$625.00
<br>
<br>Fleur-de-Lis pattern checkering
<br>$325.00
<br>
<br>Recoil Bolt, fitted and engraved
<br>$325.00
<br>
<br>Extra Synthetic Stock, including extra guard screws
<br>$675.00
<br>
<br>Gold Oval, fitted and hand engraved with 3 initials
<br>$300.00
<br>
<br>Silver Oval, fitted and hand engraved with 3 initials
<br>$250.00
<br>
<br>Custom engraving, gold inlays, higher grade wood available by quotation.
<br>
<br>
<br>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That seems reasonable. I may have to get two!!!!( BIG grin)!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blaine.Ive owned 28 Leupolds.Some of the very first ones are pushing 25 years old now.Im down to 21 now and have weeded out some of the junk.Ive shot some of my very best Aggs. under a Leupold but with high volume shooting like BR you really have to keep an eye on them.Jim Borden will tell you the same thing.He recommends Swarovski for hunting.Its alot easer to tell when a Leupold takes a dump on a BR rifle than a deer rifle.All my 36X BRs have been modified with a locking pin on the erector tube.Its the only way.I kind of look at it like this.You spend the money for a custom barrel, stock,trigger,action work, and the smith to put it all togeather.And then go and put a production built scope with Asian glass on it.Why? Becaues it American?I think NOT
<br>Ill stick with the Euros for my hunting.
<br>dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
OK. Dave. You aren't happy with Leupold. What makes you think S&B, and Swaro are any better ? E

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave--I was just fishin' for ya'....think I got a bite.
<br>
<br>Blaine

DFC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Big Sky,
<br>Thanks for the good wishes on my problem with the Sako 75.
<br>
<br>To put this in a proper perspective, you can buy 2 Remingtons for the price paid for 1 Sako 75. Having said that, one would expect the Sako to shoot twice as good from the box as the Remingtons do. I didn't need the rifle when I bought it, I just wanted it. It has set in the safe in its box for over 2 years, never had a scope on it or had a round fired through it. Here's another twist in this story, the stock now has a ding in it that wasn't there when I sent it to Beretta. The box is intact and the ding didn't come from shipping, so they must have dinged it while they were looking at it. In all the years I have messed with firearms, this is by far the most frustrating thing that I have come across. I'll end up bedding it, and will bitch about it for the next 20 years to anyone that will listen.
<br>
<br>
<br>Dan

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
DFC,
<br>
<br>The WSM's will become "famous" long before the STW ever will.

DFC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
bearstalker,
<br>
<br>You may have missed the drift of the statement "soon to be famous".
<br>Bad publicity for Sako was the meaning.
<br>Or this rifle will be famous, for being a pain in Sako's a$$, or Sako will wish they had bought it back this time next year when I'm still raising hell with them, or, or.
<br>PS, I don't think the WSM will replace any of the top cartridges. Hype only goes so far, and the short mags have been hyped out. I'm ready for the next wave of super cartridges.
<br>
<br>
<br>Dan

DFC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

<br>Well, I broke down and bedded the damn thing, nobody wanted to buy it, can't imagine why.
<br>So now its not for sale until I shoot it. I think it knows at this point its chop-saw time if it don't do its thing.
<br>
<br>Dan

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I�m sorry to hear about the piss-poor quality of that Beretta/Sako. I think your right. You should be able to count on better quality for that kind of money. Then again, the amount you spend doesn�t always mean anything. I�ve got a buddy who consistently shoots tiny groups with his Weatherby Vanguard. I think he got it for around $400.00.
<br>
<br>I can�t agree on the �Beretta sucks� theory. I�ve got a Beretta Mato, in 7mm, and couldn't be happier. Shoots straight and accurate every time. I�ve got the composite stock on mine. The only change I made, after opening the box, was the addition of a Vari-x II in 3x9x50. I�ve had it out at the range ten or so times, thus far, and never had a problem. It�s going into the woods Monday. Hopefully, I�ll have the chance to prove the quality after I line it up on a nice bull.
<br>
<br>Of course, I haven't had the displeasure of dealing with the Beretta customer service.
<br>
<br>Take care,
<br>Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,040
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.