Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am usually not too wrapped up in the topics that get posted above under the Hunters Campfire about DHS and 450 billion rounds of ammo, the de-arming of America, Obama's Muslin/Al Qaida connection etc.

But I do feel there is a problem with .22 LR ammo. I live in Rural America. I have some casual connections at our gun shops.

There has been NO .22 LR "trickling in" like powders and primers. AR seem readily available. As are magazines. I just bought and assembled an upper via Midway. Lots of options.

So WTF is going on with powder and .22 LR?

I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day. There are no bricks trickling in. There are no buckets of 1400 rounds of Remington trickling in. No Blazer. Nada.

Has anyone been to a plant in the last 3-4 months?

Has anyone at a large chain (Cabelas, Scheels, Dicks) seen bricks arrive? Or cases of powder?

I've not heard, read, or spoken to anyone either in retail or guys finding and buying any.

In general, I am not really believing the Hoarding excuse at this time. At the onset, 8-11 months ago, absolutely. But now, no clue.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what would you believe? Your local gun shop guy isn't aggressive enough in trying to get ammo in? DHS, IRS, USFWS, and the rest of the alphabet soup is intentionally trying to keep .22 LR (of all things) out of your hands. Ammo makers think they can make more money in other high demand areas?

I am seeing occasional bricks at Cabelas and the like by the way. Not much though.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am starting to see 325 round boxes of CCI Tactical and Federal Auto Match here.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have every Tom, Dick, and Harry who used to only shoot 50 rounds a year buying up everything they can find so the fear of not having any is driving people to snatch it up who normally only bought occasionally.

Even casual gun owners are attempting to stockpile whicvh I take as a sign that average people for the first time probably fear the Government taking away or limiting their RKBA's

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day.

People that I know and work at the Remington ammo plant near here, have told me that they are making between six and ten million rounds of .22 long rifle a day. Seven days a week, three hundred and sixty-five days a year. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
You have every Tom, Dick, and Harry who used to only shoot 50 rounds a year buying up everything they can find so the fear of not having any is driving people to snatch it up who normally only bought occasionally.

Even casual gun owners are attempting to stockpile whicvh I take as a sign that average people for the first time probably fear the Government taking away or limiting their RKBA's

Mike

That is exactly what is happening. Be advised, the same exact thing WILL happen to US food supplies one day. Be ready.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's getting hoarded. Any place that doesn't have a per customer limit on purchases for 22 has people showing up as soon as the truck is unloaded and taking everything, for hoarding or resale at gun shows for ridiculous markups. It is still going on, too, it wasn't just in the immediate aftermath of SH.

And when people buy it all up and hoard it, that mentality spreads. When the guy who thought he only wanted to pick up one brick keeps trying and finding the shelves empty finally sees some in stock, he's going to stockpile as much as he can afford and that the store will let him.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thankfully we can grow our own food. Thats a big plus over and beyond making 22 rimfire ammo.

But its a reminder might should stock the freezer with a bit of spare seeds of all kinds too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day.

People that I know and work at the Remington ammo plant near here, have told me that they are making between six and ten million rounds of .22 long rifle a day. Seven days a week, three hundred and sixty-five days a year. miles

I'd like to know............why 22LR ammo and why people decided to make that extinct ?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Can you afford to buy and hold 100,000 rounds of 50 bmg or 308 match or such? Last 50 I bought was approaching 5 bucks a round IIRC.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wish the distributers could hold supplies.....hold.....hold... and then all at once flood the market. That seems like the only way to make this go away.

I'll be the first to admit if I see a brick I will buy one (not 10) even though I don't need it. Only because there is a shortage crazy

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess that makes sense. I'm looking forward to the day when all the hoarders and gougers run out of money and I can start buying bricks for $5.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
22 is most definitely trickling in, and has been for quite some time. The smarter shops are holding on to it, and letting it go in dips and drabs. I know a few shops here have quite a bot of .22 behind the scenes, reserving the majority of it for folks who buy a firearm in that caliber, and for steady customers.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ruger280
I wish the distributers could hold supplies.....hold.....hold... and then all at once flood the market. That seems like the only way to make this go away.

I'll be the first to admit if I see a brick I will buy one (not 10) even though I don't need it. Only because there is a shortage crazy

I haven't bought 22 in a number of years, and even if I was low or out, I would not buy it right now. Matter of principle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
More, what gets me, is what are you hoarding it for? I bought quite a bit some time back so I would never have to worry about it personally, but if you are buying it because they will ban it or some such, if its illegal, then WHERE are you going to shoot it that you won't get turned in.

If you are worried about SHTF, you just have to have enough of SOME caliber, to win the first battle of the first folks that come for you, then you have all yours and all theirs.

And if you think you MIGHT have to eventually move locations in a SHTF scenario, how much can you pack with you really?

Prepared for a shortage? Yes. I think its always been wise to have a years worth of stuff on hand for stupid times. Beyond that it kind of can get silly at times.

That being said I have a bit of a stash and increase it as time allows so that if I need a certain powder for a new round, but everyone is paranoid at the time, and its not in stock, that I"ll still have some. The primer "scare" did it to me. If I was only hunting and recreational shooting, I'd always have enough. But for 20,000 rounds a year of competition... not so.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around this. If just the other 3 major US rimfire makers...CCI, WW, Federal...are cranking out similar numbers as Remington then we're talking 10 BILLION rounds in the last year! I personaly don't know anyone that is hoarding, mainly because they can't find any. The range officer at the local range said rimfire usage there has declined significantly in the last year because of the shortage. How many of you guys are holding large quantities? I probably have around 1500-2000 rounds, but they were purchased long before any shortages.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I know several guys who have 100,000+ rds, and much of that has been purchased since the last election. Myself, I have close to 10,000, and do not consider that remotely excessive.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
1500 to 2000 rounds ain't even a drop. At least not for 22. I can't ever recall not buying it by the case at a minimum. But thats the way I've bought primers for a long time too.

100K, I'd think that would be about the average stash, if you want a supply to last.

But some folks don't shoot much either, thats a given.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tmitch
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around this. If just the other 3 major US rimfire makers...CCI, WW, Federal...are cranking out similar numbers as Remington then we're talking 10 BILLION rounds in the last year! I personaly don't know anyone that is hoarding, mainly because they can't find any. The range officer at the local range said rimfire usage there has declined significantly in the last year because of the shortage. How many of you guys are holding large quantities? I probably have around 1500-2000 rounds, but they were purchased long before any shortages.

This, and the highlighted part is what I can't get my mind around.

A trickle I can understand, but the seemingly total absence in some places for an extended period is what I can't fathom.

You can't hoard what you can't find and buy.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I am usually not too wrapped up in the topics that get posted above under the Hunters Campfire about DHS and 450 billion rounds of ammo, the de-arming of America, Obama's Muslin/Al Qaida connection etc.

But I do feel there is a problem with .22 LR ammo. I live in Rural America. I have some casual connections at our gun shops.

There has been NO .22 LR "trickling in" like powders and primers. AR seem readily available. As are magazines. I just bought and assembled an upper via Midway. Lots of options.

So WTF is going on with powder and .22 LR?

I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day. There are no bricks trickling in. There are no buckets of 1400 rounds of Remington trickling in. No Blazer. Nada.

Has anyone been to a plant in the last 3-4 months?

Has anyone at a large chain (Cabelas, Scheels, Dicks) seen bricks arrive? Or cases of powder?

I've not heard, read, or spoken to anyone either in retail or guys finding and buying any.

In general, I am not really believing the Hoarding excuse at this time. At the onset, 8-11 months ago, absolutely. But now, no clue.

It can be purchased for $25-$30.00 a brick, and sold within the week for $65.00 a brick. That's why the only stores that have ammo in stock all the time, are the ones charging $65.00 a brick.

Last time I visited Minneapolis everybody seemed to know somebody that worked at the Federal plant. They are running 24/7 and 365.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.