-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Correction- 69.4 gr of RL 22 was the claim...

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Went from "barrel burner" to "kicks too much" and no one shot,seen or owns a 26 Nosler yet,only on the internet.

The thing is, it's not some magical new round that will suddenly change the entire world. We can calculate the recoil, and from comparing it to similar rounds have a relative idea on barrel life. I wouldn't feel right commenting on all details of how it will perform until I've seen one in action, but I feel comfortable saying it will kick pretty hard in a sporter weight rifle, and it's not going to be a rifle I'd wanna spend much time with on a dog town.....if I was paying for barrels and ammo, anyway.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Nope, 26" and 69 gr of RL 17 was the claim...

With a 115 Berger, Quickload predicts a similar velocity, at 91000 psi. I know the free bore will reduce pressure, and Quickload isn't always accurate, but still....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Nope, 26" and 69 gr of RL 17 was the claim...

With a 115 Berger, Quickload predicts a similar velocity, at 91000 psi. I know the free bore will reduce pressure, and Quickload isn't always accurate, but still....

If its a 3 lug BAT action , you will live , but it will be a little tough on Brass!!!! whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went from "barrel burner" to "kicks too much" and no one shot,seen or owns a 26 Nosler yet,only on the internet.

The thing is, it's not some magical new round that will suddenly change the entire world. We can calculate the recoil, and from comparing it to similar rounds have a relative idea on barrel life. I wouldn't feel right commenting on all details of how it will perform until I've seen one in action, but I feel comfortable saying it will kick pretty hard in a sporter weight rifle, and it's not going to be a rifle I'd wanna spend much time with on a dog town.....if I was paying for barrels and ammo, anyway.

People use .264 cal rifles for varmints?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Twice the powder for 200 fps was never something I was impressed with. Give me a 6.5 x 55 Swede and I can do 95% what the 26 nosler does with half the powder.

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks PG, that's all I needed to see! Pipe dream. Oh well , still interested to see how this thing performs. Won't be trading my 7 mag but curious non the less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3200fps with a 129 grain out of a swede? Please expound..

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Not directed at you personally Prairie goat. IMHO the cartridge is for big game like Antelope,Mule Deer,Sheep or any other animal that MIGHT be killed at long range. Recoil and barrel life is something I just don't worry about when buying a rifle. I'm paying for a certain level of performance that I want ie .300 Wby or .338 RUM or .257 Wby. If it's too much recoil for I sell the d*** thing and go to a smaller caliber. A 26 Nosler would not bother me in recoil and barrel life as I would find a load and then shoot critters with it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

People use .264 cal rifles for varmints?

I use whatever is in the vehicle when I drive by the dog town. Best practice there is.

IC B3

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Has it been compared to the 270Win yet? grin That's when you know anything new is good.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So you wouldn't buy it based on the possibility you might ride by a dog town and it kicks too much?

Point is, it's a big game cartridge and as such it's recoil should be acceptable in that role.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm waitin' for Locoweed to show up and ask us all how many deer we've killed. That's gotta be comin' up....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting thread. Yes JB, perhaps I was harsh on the Marketing comments. Time will tell.

As to the name the JB-29 sounds cooler, if it were a 29 wink

One thing is for certain, Nosler has made a gamut of high quality products, so I do applaud their choice in starting with a 6.5 mm smile

Perhaps Noz wants to create a line up of hot high performance rounds like Weatherby has been branded, laser flat trajectories and lightening fast killing power. The sizzle sold for Ed.

A .264/6.5mm was the gap in the WBY line up. It would be a simple nomenclature. 22 Noz, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've lost count of how many have posted that if Ruger had chambered the RCM in 6.5 they couldn't have made 'em fast enough. Now, someone is coming out with an even faster beltless 6.5 but it has been anointed as a POS and no one has seen it yet.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Haven't found a 6.5 that I hadn't liked yet.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My 300 win shoots a 180 grain bullet to 3070 fps with 81 grains of H-1000, so what's the recoil

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tom264
Haven't found a 6.5 that I hadn't liked yet.

Me too!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That's right, no one has seen one yet. So Nosler can claim "greatest thing since sliced bread status" without making any available, but no one is allowed to question that without having shot one? Is that how this works?

BTW, I read your post where you said barrel life is not a big deal for you and the recoil won't bother you. I wouldn't question those opinions, because it wouldn't make sense to. That's what works for you. And you came to those opinions without having shot one.

Thing is, if someone else says barrel life matters and they'd rather shoot something with less recoil, those particular opinions are no less valid than yours. It's not necessarily an argument, just two different ways of looking at this.

I'm sure the general hunting public is interested in what calibers a few members here think they should be restricted to...

One God is enough for everyone.

If you take the time to actually read the posts from some who have commented on the negative side, you'll see that one goes by 65BR and a few others have talked about wildcat alternatives like the 6.5 SAUM and 6.5-06. Seems these are not the kind of guys who are trying to limit the number of chamberings people use.

Seems the only thing people are trying to limit here is the kind of opinions expressed. Which is funny all by itself.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Point is, it's a big game cartridge and as such it's recoil should be acceptable in that role.

Acceptable to who? An acceptable amount of recoil is about as subjective as you can get, a point lost on many.

I'd wager that many who buy this will use it for long-range steel and target shooting. Can you tell me what "acceptable recoil" is for that application?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,043
Posts18,500,820
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.