-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 34 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 33 34
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody wanna bet they hamstring it right outta the gate and introduce it with a 1-9" twist to "optimize" it's performance with the 129? crazy

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot 140s from a 264 WM, extensively. Also shot 180s from a 300 WM extensively.

Recoil isn't even slightly similar, and the 300 was heavier. Same stock, same gun, etc... 300 had a magnum weight 24" barrel, 264 has the lighter 24" sporter.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MattMan
Anybody wanna bet they hamstring it right outta the gate and introduce it with a 1-9" twist to "optimize" it's performance with the 129? crazy

What's wrong with that? You can't get to 3,400 fps with the 140......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
So you wouldn't buy it based on the possibility you might ride by a dog town and it kicks too much?

Point is, it's a big game cartridge and as such it's recoil should be acceptable in that role.

No, I wouldn't buy it based on the fact that I don't like recoil, and the the 26 Nosler in a packable rifle is sure as hell going to be above 95% of the casual shooter's recoil limit. I used the p-dog town reference in regards to barrel life.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MattMan
I've shot 140s from a 264 WM, extensively. Also shot 180s from a 300 WM extensively.

Recoil isn't even slightly similar, and the 300 was heavier. Same stock, same gun, etc... 300 had a magnum weight 24" barrel, 264 has the lighter 24" sporter.

I agree and that's with a whole bunch of 300 Win Mag's.Even a 7 Rem Mag rocks less,over all.

About all I ever noticed with a 264 is that it "kicks" of course,but the punch is lighter.

The rifles for 264 and 7 Rem Mag do not require that gorilla grip to control common among the 300's.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Those that think that the new 26 Noseler will kick as much are more than a 300 mag are clueless

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

Those that think that the new 26 Noseler will kick as much are more than a 300 mag are clueless

Those that think that were one guy who already admitted his calculations were off....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So you wouldn't buy it based on the possibility you might ride by a dog town and it kicks too much?

Point is, it's a big game cartridge and as such it's recoil should be acceptable in that role.

No, I wouldn't buy it based on the fact that I don't like recoil, and the the 26 Nosler in a packable rifle is sure as hell going to be above 95% of the casual shooter's recoil limit. I used the p-dog town reference in regards to barrel life.

95%...?

You really think 95% of shooters can't handle .264 recoil?

I'd guess maybe 20-25%. Of course, some will flinch shooting a .308. I've seen new shooters flinch shooting a .22LR.

But all shooters is a pretty big net to be throwing.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This might prove to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or, they could have done something that would have fit into a SA like a 6.5 WSM. For the record, the 6.5 WSM is the best thing since biscuits and gravy, which is better than sliced bread.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
This might prove to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or, they could have done something that would have fit into a SA like a 6.5 WSM. For the record, the 6.5 WSM is the best thing since biscuits and gravy, which is better than sliced bread.

Now, that's good... laugh

DF

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

95%...?

You really think 95% of shooters can't handle .264 recoil?

I'd guess maybe 20-25%. Of course, some will flinch shooting a .308. I've seen new shooters flinch shooting a .22LR.

But all shooters is a pretty big net to be throwing.

DF

Maybe I was a few % points off. I've seen hundreds of shooters come through hunting camp, and noted that around 10% can handle a 300 Mag effectively, and probably 25% a 7mm Mag. Somewhere south of 20 lbs. of recoil is about all the vast majority of average guys can effectively wield.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

DF

That is good. 95% of eaters prefer biscuits and gravy to sliced bread.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

DF

That is good. 95% of eaters prefer biscuits and gravy to sliced bread.

I'll go with your numbers, for sure... laugh

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

Acceptable to who? An acceptable amount of recoil is about as subjective as you can get, a point lost on many.

I'd wager that many who buy this will use it for long-range steel and target shooting. Can you tell me what "acceptable recoil" is for that application?

Maybe if you read a little you would have noticed some were comparing it to a 300 mag launching 180 grain pills. Laffin

That's bullshit and anyone who has shot rifles very long knows it.

If you look at recoil generated by big game rifles in use today, this one isn't near the top. JB said it would probably generate the recoil of a 7 mag shooting 140 pills.

So I stand by my statement that the recoil in this rifle will be acceptable in a big game application by a vast majority of hunters.

Let me connect the dots for you... The 7 mag is one of the most popular cartridges in use today. So obviously many find its recoil acceptable.

Think a little, if a 7mag is acceptable, why wouldn't this be? Sounds line you're hunting an excuse to dislike it, just picked the wrong reason.

Again- if this offering doesn't sell, it won't be because it kicked to hard.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A guy has to remember that the guys on the fire shoot, or at least claim to. Many, many folks won't put a box of rounds through their hunting rifles a year, whether from expense, lack of time, disinterest, lack of nearby ranges, or whatever. So they would be far, far, far better off shooting at deer with a 243 then a fire breathing magnum.

This is beside the point of the round, I know.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
After observing a lot of people at the range, I believe the level of recoil many have found acceptable and the level of recoil they can actually manage well aren't necessarily the same thing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Exactly. Lots of us feel the need to shoot larger rounds than we need, or can effectively handle - whether because of a perceived need, because we are "tough" and real men shoot magnums, or whatever.

I've seen some guys who claimed recoil didn't bother them, but the 6 inch groups they fired at 100 yards revealed the truth. There have been some that were far, far worse (as in not being able to consistently hit a 2x4' piece of plywood at 100 yards). Sometimes we take these guys to a prairie dog town and give them a 223, before we even go hunting. After flinching their way through the first few rounds, they realize how easy and fun it is to shoot. They start making hits, and gain confidence. They then take the 223 hunting, and kill a deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd wager a fair sum that the enormous majority of those guys who shoot magnums would shoot lesser recoiling guns better and more effectively. Putting the proper bullet in the proper place is more important than putting the proper bullet, traveling 400 fps faster, kindof close to the proper place. Let's just leave it at that.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll up my wager. There isn't a human that shoots a 300 WM better than a 243 of similar weight. Dudes who have bigger/faster syndrome (me included), will go for these type offerings. Some will execute better than others. Nosler offering a big 6.5 twon't change a thing. They're a marketing company, and they know that bigger/faster syndrome is a pandemic.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe if you read a little you would have noticed some were comparing it to a 300 mag launching 180 grain pills. Laffin.

Maybe if you read a little you'll see that was one guy who already admitted his numbers were off. Laffin that you missed that.

Let me connect the dots for you... The 7 mag is one of the most popular cartridges in use today. So obviously many find its recoil acceptable.

Sounds line you're hunting an excuse to dislike it, just picked the wrong reason.

Let me connect the dots for you now. I don't "dislike" anything. As I said above, I think the rifles will sell and I think Nosler is smart to capitalize on all the interest in LR shooting with both the ABLR and this new chambering. Or, you could turn that around and say they're a little late to the party, depending on your point of view.

And I really don't give a rat's ass what is "acceptable" to the vast majority. The only comments I've made pertain to my own personal preferences. If I'm going to spend the cash that Nosler is no doubt going to ask for this rifle (anybody pegged that number yet, it won't be cheap) then it's going to be something that I'll want to shoot a lot.

This cartridge doesn't look like it's something that I'll want to shoot a lot. Especially since I like light rifles for hunting.

Page 9 of 34 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,039
Posts18,500,735
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.