Hop To
Page 10 of 34 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 33 34
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by MattMan
I've shot 140s from a 264 WM, extensively. Also shot 180s from a 300 WM extensively.

Recoil isn't even slightly similar, and the 300 was heavier. Same stock, same gun, etc... 300 had a magnum weight 24" barrel, 264 has the lighter 24" sporter.

I agree and that's with a whole bunch of 300 Win Mag's.Even a 7 Rem Mag rocks less,over all.

About all I ever noticed with a 264 is that it "kicks" of course,but the punch is lighter.

The rifles for 264 and 7 Rem Mag do not require that gorilla grip to control common among the 300's.

RARE is the man who, with a Sendero weight rifle chambered in the above calibers, can fire from prone with a loop sling, and maintain natural point of aim from shot to shot. IE, the dominant hand comes up and flicks the bolt and no azz-wiggling.

Put that same rifle in a heavier AI stock, the percentage of folks who can do that goes up

Those who can do that with the same calibers, in an 8# rifle, probably have an NFL or WWF background.

Tolerating recoil is mostly psychological. Managing recoil is a bit mental but mostly physics.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
I'll up my wager. There isn't a human that shoots a 300 WM better than a 243 of similar weight. Dudes who have bigger/faster syndrome (me included), will go for these type offerings. Some will execute better than others. Nosler offering a big 6.5 twon't change a thing. They're a marketing company, and they know that bigger/faster syndrome is a pandemic.

The quote of the year, right there!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
RARE is the man who, with a Sendero weight rifle chambered in the above calibers, can fire from prone with a loop sling, and maintain natural point of aim from shot to shot. IE, the dominant hand comes up and flicks the bolt and no azz-wiggling.

Rare is the man who, in a hunting situation, would fire from prone and choose a loop sling over a rest. Especially in order to take advantage of what this cartridge has to offer. It's a long range cartridge.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

Rare is the man who, in a hunting situation, would fire from prone and choose a loop sling over a rest. Especially in order to take advantage of what this cartridge has to offer. It's a long range cartridge.

I suppose there is a point to be made by your comment? No one was talking about shooting positions while hunting till you brought it up, I merely brought up the loop sling to demonstrate the physics of recoil mangagement, not to reccomend its use in the field. Real riflemen know how to use one though, and a TAB or Ching is nearly as effective and a HELL of a lot faster than trying to shoot off of a pack, but I digress.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're hunting long range and "faster" is your primary consideration, you probably shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure I can throw my pack on the ground and get behind it fast enough. And this is the "long range hunting" forum, right? What were you talking about, something else?

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Went from "barrel burner" to "kicks too much" and no one shot,seen or owns a 26 Nosler yet,only on the internet.

That's right, no one has seen one yet. So Nosler can claim "greatest thing since sliced bread status" without making any available, but no one is allowed to question that without having shot one? Is that how this works?

BTW, I read your post where you said barrel life is not a big deal for you and the recoil won't bother you. I wouldn't question those opinions, because it wouldn't make sense to. That's what works for you. And you came to those opinions without having shot one.

Thing is, if someone else says barrel life matters and they'd rather shoot something with less recoil, those particular opinions are no less valid than yours. It's not necessarily an argument, just two different ways of looking at this.

Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I'm sure the general hunting public is interested in what calibers a few members here think they should be restricted to...

One God is enough for everyone.

If you take the time to actually read the posts from some who have commented on the negative side, you'll see that one goes by 65BR and a few others have talked about wildcat alternatives like the 6.5 SAUM and 6.5-06. Seems these are not the kind of guys who are trying to limit the number of chamberings people use.

Seems the only thing people are trying to limit here is the kind of opinions expressed. Which is funny all by itself.
Nope have not shot a 26 Nos,but have shot/owned 7mm Rem mag,7mm Dakota,7mm RUM,270 Wby,257 Wby,30-06 and guess what,to me they recoil about the same. The 26 Nos is in that class of cartridges. If some one wants a cartridge with less recoil,then BUY one with less recoil and better barrel life!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I know this kind of defeats the purpose... but if you can reduce the powder to get .264 Win. speeds to not burn up a throat(like a .264 loaded to max volume) and have a moderately sized beltless case, I could go for that. Not that I'm really worried about a barrel that only goes 1500 rounds, but it would be an option. I don't really care what Nosler twists their barrels(as I would imagine a lot of others here) because I probably wouldn't buy one of those anyway. One other thing is if they're pushing it, they should always have brass and might develop more 6.5 bullet options. Just a thought...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It will be interesting to see how they twist it and what it looks like.

Wonder what their proprietary brass is going to cost? It would help their program, IMHO, if the brass wasn't priced like Wby., but was competitive with W/W .264's, for example.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It will sell. 6.5 is where its at, and for me to say that one has just to look at my name.
Years ago, when I first got into hunting, I had a picture showing the entire line of ammo from the old Canadian firm called "Imperial". One bullet caught my eye, it was the 6.5x55 loaded with a 160gr round nose that was, it seemed, as long as the case.
Always wanted to have a 6.5 just to load the Hornady 160gr round nose that is now discontinued just as I received a 260 rem.snooze you loose I guess. Woodleigh is making a 160gr round nose now so I guess I could use it.

I did manage to load up some 264WM for a buddy and those 160's dumped moose,grizz, B.bears and caribou real well.

I do not know if the new Nosler rifle would stabilize 160gr round nose bullets but if I were to get one I would try out the woodleighs just for the hell of it.

Last edited by 257STEW; 11/26/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Except that game shows up at close range, even if one is planning for long range, regardless of what round is used. There are plenty of times when a rest is not available (such as out on the prairie), but a sling is always attached, ready for action. Unfortunately, many folks these days don't use or don't know how to use a sling.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I can't comment on what others do, but if I'm out on the prairie I'll be prepared for a long shot by having a pack on my back, even if I don't need the stuff in the pack except to use as a rest. And if I'm prone (as TAK specified) I'll be using the pack as a rest.

Which is of course off the subject.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 257STEW
It will sell. 6.5 is where its at, and for me to say that one has just to look at my name.
Years ago, when I first got into hunting, I had a picture showing the entire line of ammo from the old Canadian firm called "Imperial". One bullet caught my eye, it was the 6.5x55 loaded with a 160gr round nose that was, it seemed, as long as the case.
Always wanted to have a 6.5 just to load the Hornady 160gr round nose that is now discontinued just as I received a 260 rem.snooze you loose I guess. Woodleigh is making a 160gr round nose now so I guess I could use it.

I did manage to load up some 264WM for a buddy and those 160's dumped moose,grizz, B.bears and caribou real well.

I do not know if the new Nosler rifle would stabilize 160gr round nose bullets but if I were to get one I would try out the woodleighs just for the hell of it.

If they go with an 8 twist, it will.

My 6.5x55 Shilen/98 FN does well with 160 Woodies, much better with 155 Lapua Megas.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I can't comment on what others do, but if I'm out on the prairie I'll be prepared for a long shot by having a pack on my back, even if I don't need the stuff in the pack except to use as a rest. And if I'm prone (as TAK specified) I'll be using the pack as a rest.

Which is of course off the subject.

The pack will usually work fine, but problems sometimes arise when one is crawling. In little to no cover situations, to keep a low profile one must push the pack in front of oneself, as the act of removing the pack has been known to cause enough movement to run off game. Simultaneously maneuvering the pack, rifle, and trying to keep the cactus penetrating one's tender bod to a minimum is sort of a pain. The easiest way around all these problems is to simply attach a Harris bipod for no cover prairie duty.

Again, off the subject, but hey, if threads always stayed on topic, most would be two pages long crazy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, off the subject, but hey, if threads always stayed on topic, most would be two pages long crazy.

Based on that I will say I thought slings were to hold your rifle on your shoulder while you use binos.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is it possible Nosler has shortened 300RUM brass to create an entirely new cartridge line? wink
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 11/26/13.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Con
Is it possible Nosler has shortened 300RUM brass to create an entirely new cartridge line? wink
Cheers...
Con

Con,

Without having to read this whole thread, wasn't the 26 Nosler a std. length ctg.? I don't remember for sure, but that sticks in my mind.

If so, the RUM family of rounds is mag length, IIRC. They've have to be set back a good bit to go from full mag to std.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They've have to be set back a good bit to go from full mag to std.

Years before short fat was "in" I made a 7-.378 Weatherby. I used a short action Rem 700. The case was shortened until it had the same volume as a .300 Weatherby. It can be done.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dirtfarmer,
I run a shortened RUM in 45cal that is right at 2.550" length. Called a 458AccRel, but there was a predecessor in the 458AfricanExpress. Shortened 404Jeff wildcats also have some history. If they went that way, Nosler would be able to produce an entire family of cartridges from 6.5mm to 458cal ( enough shoulder to easily headspace a 0.458") and place their names to it. It would also allow them to account for long projectiles by sticking a fatter than normal case under the projectile to minimise powder space intrusion to some degree. The shortened RUMs also feed really easily from square bottomed actions like the Ruger.
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 11/26/13.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Twist rate and brass availability will be the limiting factors in its moderate success.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Twist rate and brass availability will be the limiting factors in its moderate success.

exactly how did you deduce this from a cartridge and rifle that has yet to released??????????

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 10 of 34 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.