-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd certainly dump them all in a bowl, stir with a spoon, and pour it back in the containers. Done it before, no problems. Your average can will hold more that 1lb of powder, so you may be able to fit 5lbs in 3-4 cans and save shelf space. Just stick a tape label on each can saying "1 can of a 5lb lot".

Now with even more aplomb
HR IC

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JPro
I'd certainly dump them all in a bowl, stir with a spoon, and pour it back in the containers. Done it before, no problems. Your average can will hold more that 1lb of powder, so you may be able to fit 5lbs in 3-4 cans and save shelf space. Just stick a tape label on each can saying "1 can of a 5lb lot".

That was my first thought and I should have stuck with it. Eliminates the need to consider the gravitational effect of the angle of the Earth's axis to that of the Sun with Earth on the decreasing parabolic curve, on a specific volume of powder in the hopper.

I think I'll use a big plastic bowl and mix it with a wooden spoon.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just mix them all together and drop back a few grains. Chronograph your loads to see if you're still getting the same velocities (within normal variations) that the old lot gave at that charge level. If all is good to go, load up. If not then adjust your loads accordingly. Once you hit the same velocities with the new blended lot - and provided other components remain the same - you'll be pretty much at same same pressure levels as the old lot even if the charge weights are slightly different.

Once you do that then you'll have 5 pounds of a uniform blend to go through.

I've only had one experience with a new lot of powder giving significantly higher pressures at same charge levels and that was with RL-22. A new lot of powder increased velocities in a .270 and .300 WM by almost 200 fps into a very definite red zone. It's a great powder for accuracy and velocity but I have been leery of it from then on.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shootem

That was my first thought and I should have stuck with it. Eliminates the need to consider the gravitational effect of the angle of the Earth's axis to that of the Sun with Earth on the decreasing parabolic curve, on a specific volume of powder in the hopper.

Your wife will probably kick your azz too if you take her wooden spoon out and mix powder with it. After all, she will need it for making pumpkin pies...Geesh!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 5 lbs of Varget I scrounged up during the current sequester made up of 3 different lot codes...
Was thinking it would be good to just mix it all together...

Some reloaders just aren't all that fussy about the quality of loads they produce..

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
A while back I bought 4 cans of H4350, 2 different lots. I didn't want to go through load development and then risk the possibility of adding a new variable when I switched lots. I mixed all 4 cans in a big bowl and then put them into 3 cans. Labelled each can 1 of 3, 2 of 3 etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember reading something many, many moons ago (in the 80's, if memory serves) by some writer who recommended that very thing. I've done it myself more than once, albeit after trying a number of the same loads from each lot to check for any inconsistency. OTOH, I'm not one of those 'run every load at redline' loaders. grin

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

Genius has limits; stupidity does not
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have blended multiple lots of Varget previously to ensure consistency across multiple containers. Not certain how much it helped. But,it didn't hurt. As above, I try not to "hot rod" my handloads. YMMV.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I clean the hopper on the powder measure after every reloading session.

The measure is disassembled, steam washed and all metal parts polished.

For best results, never allow pistol powder, shotshell powder and rifle powders in the same measure; they use different coatings and unless you clean like above, its an obvious contamination.
Same for powder brands. If you use Alliant, then IMR, everything must be re-cleaned or again, its a contamination.

Hope this helps.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure hope you're using distilled water for that steam washing!

And don't forget to strain the granules of any powder to weed out those that are inconsistent in size...

wink

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't strain....

Tweezers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks for the idea... wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The Alliant stuff will test your patience...

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Your wife will probably kick your azz too if you take her wooden spoon out and mix powder with it. After all, she will need it for making pumpkin pies...Geesh!!!

And the punkin pie was GREAT. So was the pecan pie; ate so much of it this morning for breakfast with coffee it made my stomach upset and I had to take a nap laugh

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
yall are making my head hurt ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lots?
Hahaha!
Mann, I've got an 8 pound jug off imr4895- h4895 mixed.
Lots...
What a maroon.
And guess what?
Im shooting ragged holes with it in 308 and 375.
It's about 10;1 in favor of the imr4895.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ahhhhh. So if I mix RL12 and RL22 at a 1:1 ratio, that should effectively give me RL17, right? (grin)

****Disclaimer: Do not be a Darwin candidate and actually try this. You and your firearms might suffer some "traumas" when something blows up........

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ahhhhh. So if I mix RL12 and RL22 at a 1:1 ratio, that should effectively give me RL17, right? (grin)

You need to add a pinch of Bullseye to get that boost in velocity that RL17 is famous for.

Last edited by doubletap; 11/30/13.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm surprised there are as many people who weigh charges as there are. I mean really who has time for that. Dump powder in bin. Scoop a case full and seat a bullet.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not? ...... I've done it a couple and with Varget.

No big deal either way.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (12344mag, akrange, 2500HD, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 8 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,084
Posts18,501,682
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.