-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My favorite, this .44 is a little sharp on my end after lots of lead sailing in the afternoon. Gotta do the pad trick with that butt.. I am kinda questioning the sights on this. At 50 the hit is about 3" high..??? I even tried removing the ramp on the rear sight, but still couldn't get it within 2"...Hmm.!
I realize .44 mags do a hell of a lot of damage for the first 100 but drop severely after that and plow dirt around 300. Is this rainbow trajectory the reason for the high at 50?? If so, should it be on at 100.?? Most deer in my country are well within 50 and most in pistol range easily. This is the reason I really would like it to be on at that range.!!

History is my teacher: VietNam was my lesson.!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you like the load you could replace the front sight with a taller one, if possible with your weapon.

LOL
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would leave it as is. The Browning 92's are very nice. Smooth action and good triggers. I have owned five of them. Down to two .357's one in my safe and one vacationing at my number one Son's place. Shoot it more and get to know that rifle before you alter it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have that exact rifle and it is right on at 100. It shoots about 4" groups at 100 with the open buckhorn sights. IN my opinion, It is the perfect timber rifle. I remember buying mine about 10 years ago and it is one of the very last rifles I would sell.

I would love to replace the back buckhorn sight with something else but I can't find anything.

Enough already, just shoot it!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I bought one about a year ago. I got it home and realized it had no safety which had me wondering how I would hunt with it. I wouldn't want to walk around or wait with hammer back without a safety. Also I did not like the factory sights. I did like everything else about the gun and would buy another because I love guns especially Brownings. The fit and finish was awesome just like you would expect. Wood stock was nice. I traded it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Isn't it kinda odd to expect a clone of a Winchester '92 to have a safety?

I mean, we got along without them for over a century without any serious heartburn.... Johnnie B. gave us a safety notch and the Big Guy gave us thumbs, so it seems to me another "safety" is just in the way!

Or is it just that I lack a proper legal training....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It will probably be one I wish I had back.....(along with many)

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, do I know THAT feeling.... Too many recessions and not enough space in my safe when I do have $$$!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
All of those 92's have/had a half cock notch which is the safety. They have been like that since 1892.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Any favorite loads?
What are the heaviest bullets you guys using in that slow twist?
I will only have a week or so to get a load worked up for mine next spring just before black bear season opens is why I ask..
I have all the usual powders for the .44 mag..
Thanks

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I got it home and realized it had no safety which had me wondering how I would hunt with it. I wouldn't want to walk around or wait with hammer back without a safety.

Seriously?

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by frogmanjim67
My favorite, this .44 is a little sharp on my end after lots of lead sailing in the afternoon. Gotta do the pad trick with that butt.. I am kinda questioning the sights on this. At 50 the hit is about 3" high..??? I even tried removing the ramp on the rear sight, but still couldn't get it within 2"...Hmm.!

I would suggest adding a peep sight.

They have a great action but barrel dimensions of the 44's make using cast bullets challenging.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Nrut
Any favorite loads?

300 gr cast worked fine but 340 gr cast started to yaw at 25 mtrs. With cast in this rifle you need a large bullet diameter due to barrel diameter, shallow rifling and large throat. Best results I've had with cast were with bullets sized 433/434.

Best accuracy was with Win 296 for heavy cast or jacketed loads. This powder has problems with air space and works best with a mag primer and a good crimp. The powder is the same as H-110. Used correctly its one of the best powders for full power loads in mag pistol cases.

Last edited by JFE; 12/05/13.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
I got it home and realized it had no safety which had me wondering how I would hunt with it. I wouldn't want to walk around or wait with hammer back without a safety.

Seriously?

Seriously, Just my preference. I have in the past ,but choose not to now. I prefer to just take safety off and shoot. I didn't realize it had a half-cocked feature.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by JFE
Originally Posted by Nrut
Any favorite loads?

300 gr cast worked fine but 340 gr cast started to yaw at 25 mtrs. With cast in this rifle you need a large bullet diameter due to barrel diameter, shallow rifling and large throat. Best results I've had with cast were with bullets sized 433/434.

Best accuracy was with Win 296 for heavy cast or jacketed loads. This powder has problems with air space and works best with a mag primer and a good crimp. The powder is the same as H-110. Used correctly its one of the best powders for full power loads in mag pistol cases.

Thanks for your reply JFE..
I must have bought this rifle (actually 2 of them as the first one was a beater) back in 2004 or so..
Tried shooting a Lee 300gr WFN using H110 and it shot poorly..
I thought the reason for that is was that the bullet was to heavy for the 1:38 twist..
Just measured some bullets that I had casted up from that mold and they run .429 X .430..
Looks like I should get a fatter mold..
Where did you buy your .433/.434 mold?
I won't mind getting a fat 240gr/250ish gr bullet mold either..
Thanks

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Seriously?

Seriously, Just my preference. I have in the past ,but choose not to now. I prefer to just take safety off and shoot. I didn't realize it had a half-cocked feature.

Wait...what? You have walked around the woods with a fully cocked levergun in the past while hunting?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500

Seriously?

Wait...what? You have walked around the woods with a fully cocked levergun in the past while hunting?

Same reaction here...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
sick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,244
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.