Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It will be a rare semi-auto that can compete with a FA or like built custom revolver.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed,

Bullseye! ( Pun intended) . Until I owned one and shot it a lot. I never really would have believed the potential of a revolver. But FA revolvers are at another level. I'm sure other revolvers can shoot well, but the FA I own is by a margin better then any other handgun I've shot.

I used to tinker and measure handloads and tweak and play with them to achieve the best I could. After the FA revolver I realized it was not the loads! This revolver just digests ammo and puts them accurately in the same place all the time. It makes loading on a Progressive so much nicer now. No more tinkering just crank out the ammo and the FA revolver sends them where I point.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Box-stock, over the counter, as delivered, you get more accuracy per dollar in centerfires with a revolver and more accuracy per dollar in rimfires with a semi-auto.

It is very hard to find an equal priced semi-auto that will shoot as well as a Ruger or S&W DA 6" barreled .357.

At the same time, it is equally difficult to find an equal priced rimfire revolver that will shoot as well as a Ruger Mk III or Browning Buckmark target model.

There will be individual examples of each, but if you took 25 of each and averaged them for the comparison ... "thar ain't no comparison."

Tom

You can pretty much take this to the bank. It perfectly outlines the difference between centerfires and rimfires.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CraigC
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Box-stock, over the counter, as delivered, you get more accuracy per dollar in centerfires with a revolver and more accuracy per dollar in rimfires with a semi-auto.

It is very hard to find an equal priced semi-auto that will shoot as well as a Ruger or S&W DA 6" barreled .357.

At the same time, it is equally difficult to find an equal priced rimfire revolver that will shoot as well as a Ruger Mk III or Browning Buckmark target model.

There will be individual examples of each, but if you took 25 of each and averaged them for the comparison ... "thar ain't no comparison."

Tom

You can pretty much take this to the bank. It perfectly outlines the difference between centerfires and rimfires.

Eh - I think you have that opinion because you haven't looked at the right rimfire revolvers. The fact that S&W and Ruger don't make any "bargain" revolvers also skews this issue. But I have a Taurus 94 that will keep right up with my MKIII Hunter and my Buckmark, when fired single-action. And how else would you fire a revolver when firing for long-range accuracy? And the 94 was priced a little less than a basic blued MKIII target. Before anyone pipes up with "Taurus handguns are junk", I don't see any difference in quality between the 94 and comparably priced Ruger and Browning pistols.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
What are the predominate handguns at Camp Perry and bullseye matches, custom or otherwise?

This is the rub. Semi-autos dominate all competition, and have for some time.

For absolutes in revolvers, yes, FA is the best. It's almost a custom gun. Mine (FA model 97 .22LR/.22mag) came with a test target from the match .22LR barrel that was under an inch @ 25 yards-10 shots!
But the stars of competition for .22LR dominance are not normally found on dealers shelves. We're talking Hammerli,Pardini, etc. These are semi-autos.

There's a reason FA doesn't dominate this. Accurate as they are, they're harder to shoot and probably not as absolutely accurate.

I think the same would apply to centerfires, as well. I have a S&W Model 629 custom shop that I've had trigger work done on that's sweet as candy to shoot. But if I would ever compete, I'd use my SIG X-5 or P210.

Maybe off the dealer shelves, in guns most of us buy, accuracy is nominally "better" with revolvers. But I really doubt that too.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 12/11/13. Reason: clarity
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It just depends on the models in question.

For example, hard to better the accuracy of the S&W Model 41, though I also tend to agree that some stock revolvers (especially of somewhat older vintage) will beat most autos for accuracy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GF1
It just depends on the models in question.

For example, hard to better the accuracy of the S&W Model 41, though I also tend to agree that some stock revolvers (especially of somewhat older vintage) will beat most autos for accuracy.

I was going to say back in the 70's when I was bull's eye shooting the S&W Model 41 was the gun to beat. The military specified the Ruger with 5" bull barrel because it duplicated the Ruger bull barrel with the built in suppressor that military was using for special combat situations. For the civilians they always used the Model 41.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It ain't all that rare for a large bore SA custom or FA to shoot inside 2" at 100 yards in the right hands. This I personally know and some do better. Tell me of a semi-auto that will consistently do the same?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Camp Perry?

Auto's always!

But, the most accurate handgun I ever had was a 8 3/8" K22 masterpiece. 1970's vintage. It's brother the 48 is very close also. Same vintage.

The K22 would outshoot my Mod 41 most of the time. Sight radius had a lot to do with it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Big bore revolver by far. BFR is best, next is a toss between Ruger, DW and S&W. The SBH, SBH Hunter, SRH and others are good for 1/2" at 50 meters with open sights, red dots and scopes. Sorry, I leave out the Freedom because not all shoot. Let me show. SBH off hand at 100 yards with cast. [Linked Image]
Same gun at 200 benched, Ultra Dot. [Linked Image]
BFR in .500 JRH at 50 yards working loads. [Linked Image]
Average groups, .475 BFR at 50, 100 and 200 yards, can shot twice at 100. [Linked Image]
BFR .500 JRH, shotgun shell at 100 yards, Ultra Dot. [Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
.22 pistols? Ruger or any quality semi will beat a .22 revolver but a few S&W K22's will equal. Freedom .22 is good.
Ruger slabside at 25 yards, 10 shots and I messed up the last shot. [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Iron sighted, at the ranges shown. I suspect my Les Baer will do as well or better, but it also cost 3x as much, too...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nice shooting, Tex.

Do you know about the forcing cone erosion issues with Lil Gun? Not trying to critize but help. Hate to see a great shooting 44 like that get ruined.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7909618/Lil_Gun

Maybe this was a one time lot of lil gun causing the issues. I'd like to find out as it is a very accurate powder in most everything I've used it in. I find 4227, H110/296, and V110 accurate too, but lil gun has always seemed to provide the most velocity with accuracy more consistently across a wide range of calibers.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am not a great shot with a hand gun but do shoot a few tricked out 1911s. out of the box my revolvers shoot way better..smith colt DW. but I must say I have a beretta 92 that will hold it own
for me it is more fit and feel. I don't shoot semi autos as well as revolvers. the big grip on the 92 is closer to revolver feel and I have more controol

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Huh?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
Nice shooting, Tex.

Do you know about the forcing cone erosion issues with Lil Gun? Not trying to critize but help. Hate to see a great shooting 44 like that get ruined.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7909618/Lil_Gun

Maybe this was a one time lot of lil gun causing the issues. I'd like to find out as it is a very accurate powder in most everything I've used it in. I find 4227, H110/296, and V110 accurate too, but lil gun has always seemed to provide the most velocity with accuracy more consistently across a wide range of calibers.

I started messing with lil gun in .357magnum, mainly because you were getting top end velocities with lower pressure. Then i read about the forcing cone issues and kind let it sit on the wayside. Still not sure.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
The SBH, SBH Hunter, SRH and others are good for 1/2" at 50 meters with open sights, red dots and scopes. Sorry, I leave out the Freedom because not all shoot. Let me show.

Yeah, right.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CraigC
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
The SBH, SBH Hunter, SRH and others are good for 1/2" at 50 meters with open sights, red dots and scopes. Sorry, I leave out the Freedom because not all shoot. Let me show.

Yeah, right.

Freedom Arms one of the most consistently accurate revolvers ever produce, that statement tells the limit of his knowledge. Dumbfucktitude runs rampant on the internet it seems

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
jwp475-

yup!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Every gun is different , example smith and Wesson kit gun in 22 LR versus model 41 semi auto ,, the model 41 will eat the kit gun alive ,where as take a older model smith 17 revolver and put it against say one of the less exspensive smith semi's and the opposite is true

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.